Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Edb 46 er

Middlebranch Lean-to Trail

Anyone been in the Middlebranch trail on snowshoes this year?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #2
Edb 46 er

The "Ha-de-ron-dah" wilderness in Old Forge, just wanted to know if there was enough snow or even a trail blazed?
Old 01-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
I got that

but there are at two completely different trails to Middlebranch Lean-to and three different TH's to choose from.
The point was, Has anyone been on the trail or trails?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edb 46 er View Post
The point was, Has anyone been on the trail or trails?
I can speak for the Big Otter Trail as of January 5th.

At that time, the trail was only being used by skiers, and only as far as Moose River Mountain. The issue wasn't so much the deep snow -- which was perfect for skiing actually -- but the fact that many of the smaller trees beside the trail were bowed over by the weight of the snow. Therefore what should have been a wide and obvious trail was actually pretty obscure.

I observed this condition throughout the western Adirondacks, from Big Moose Road down to Farr Road. If these wide trails had their tough spots, I would expect the narrower foot trails to be even more impacted.

But that was more than a week ago. The recent thaw may have been enough to let these trees bend back up, eliminating the issue. I did see snowshoe tracks at the Scusa trailhead when I passed through Sunday.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill I. View Post
I can speak for the Big Otter Trail as of January 5th.

At that time, the trail was only being used by skiers, and only as far as Moose River Mountain. The issue wasn't so much the deep snow -- which was perfect for skiing actually -- but the fact that many of the smaller trees beside the trail were bowed over by the weight of the snow. Therefore what should have been a wide and obvious trail was actually pretty obscure.

I observed this condition throughout the western Adirondacks, from Big Moose Road down to Farr Road. If these wide trails had their tough spots, I would expect the narrower foot trails to be even more impacted.

But that was more than a week ago. The recent thaw may have been enough to let these trees bend back up, eliminating the issue. I did see snowshoe tracks at the Scusa trailhead when I passed through Sunday.
Thank you
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
Edb 46 er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Since you were not specific here

I answered the portion of the question I had knowledge of, later confirmed by Bill I.

YAh, the trails have been blazed for many years, easy to follow I might add

Further confirms my original answer

it's a beautiful location few get to in the winter, be sure and let us know which trail you used so others might have an easier go of it
If the group I'm trying to get together for a MB Lean-to trip happens before your report I'll give an updated trail conditions report
Thanks Alpine 1. Maybe we could get a group together some weekend, I am sure the trail is hard pack at this point, so the going might not be so tough. I am going to try for this weekend myself. Temp is sure to drop making for easy trekking. Yes, it is a scenic place for certain.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Edb 46 er

Map is a beautiful thing. I confirmed that by purchasing one. I have a old map with the edges that have started to tatter. All the use it has seen during hiking and deer hunting in the Ha-De-Ron-Dah wilderness. Should be time for purchase of a new one. Which way is shorter was not the question.

Just trying to be friendly that was all, didn't mean to upset people with a friendly question if you were.

Besides if you didn't want to answer my thread what did you write down anything for to begin with?????? Just a simple question. Which I thought that was allowed?

Original question stands.