Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

T-Lake Lean-to?

I was planning on spending a couple of nights in the T-Lake Lean-to near Piseco Lake. October 25-26. What should I expect? Busy? Rowdy? Empty?

I plan on bringing alternative shelter but was wondering about the overall status of this L-T.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Banjoe

I've been three times, twice in August and once at Christmas, and never saw another person coming or going. Took a real effort to get into the water without getting mired in mud. The lean-to was in decent shape as far as I can remember.
Find this tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bigtreetlake.jpg (125.5 KB, 240 views)
Banjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 09:19 AM   #3
1bluefin

T Lake leanto

Just a reminder hunting season will be in full swing not sure if this leanto will be of interest. Where something orange at least a hat.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
rachelsdad

Love that burl!!
Old 10-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
conibear

Here's how it looked last winter on 2/17/19.

conibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #6
bridgeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjoe View Post
I've been three times, twice in August and once at Christmas, and never saw another person coming or going. Took a real effort to get into the water without getting mired in mud. The lean-to was in decent shape as far as I can remember.
Find this tree.
Ditto. Been there three times and never saw another soul.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
Justin
Moving along

I guess it can be hit or miss.. Iíve been there 4 times and each time it was either occupied or had a lot of gear left behind (which another forum member & I carried out once upon a time). There is another (undesignated) campsite down near the water which gets some frequent use, other than that youíd have to 150í it. Some decent option for that near Twin Ponds.

Reminds me of a funny story about a group of younger dudes a friend & I encountered at T Lake during an early April trip several years ago..
Perhaps Iíll share it a little later when get a little more time.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:51 AM   #8
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Reminds me of a funny story about a group of younger dudes a friend & I encountered at T Lake during an early April trip several years ago..
Looking forward to it.
JohnnyVirgil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
bridgeman

Quote:
I guess it can be hit or miss.. Iíve been there 4 times and each time it was either occupied or had a lot of gear left behind (which another forum member & I carried out once upon a time). There is another (undesignated) campsite down near the water which gets some frequent use, other than that youíd have to 150í it. Some decent option for that near Twin Ponds.

The south end of Twin Lakes looks interesting, at least on the topo map. Once hunting season is over and the leaves are all gone, I plan to check it out.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:06 PM   #10
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeman View Post
The south end of Twin Lakes looks interesting, at least on the topo map. Once hunting season is over and the leaves are all gone, I plan to check it out.
I’ve only been to the northern end & eastern side on two separate occasions but yeah always wanted to explore more of those old Twin Lakes Outlet/West Canada Cliffs area trails from the southwest...many are not very easy to follow but fun to try.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #11
Wldrns

Just south of the falls a bit, Eagle Bluff is an interesting crag of rocks. Probably aptly named, though I did not see any of the namesakes.
Old 10-18-2019, 10:33 PM   #12
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Eagle Bluff is an interesting crag of rocks.
Agreed.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:31 PM   #13
H. Hastings

Can't help with lean-to info but if you get bored on Sat I'll be sidecutting the NPT section off Haskell Rd. Should at the trailhead between 9:00 and 10:00 and I'll be working about 3 1/2 miles in toward Fall Stream for the rest of the day and the first half of Sunday.
H. Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Perhaps I’ll share it a little later when get a little more time.
Ok, So my brother in law (Jason) & I hiked in to T Lake a few years ago during early April, and we were a little surprised to see that there was still some shin-to-knee deep snow still lingering around as we climbed that final pitch into the fault valley where the lake is. We quickly noticed a group of 4 younger guys had already claimed the lean-to. They seemed a little rowdy so we opted to camp at the undesignated site down near the lake.

After setting up camp and relaxing for a bit, these guys at the lean-to came down and chatted with us for a bit. They had with them an almost full gallon size bottle of whiskey, which they seem to have just opened. They were all in shorts, T shirts, & sneakers, and said they were on their way to the (T Lake) Falls for a day hike. I had mentioned to them that it’ll probably be some rough going through the knee deep snow, especially in shorts & sneakers, but they didn’t seem care & were on a mission. So they left for their day’s adventure, obviously hammered, and Jason & I just shook our heads & hoped that they’d be ok.

Well sure enough dusk came & went and there was still no sign of these guys returning to the lean-to. Jason talked about it & contemplated hiking out to get get help since they hadn’t returned yet now that it was well past night fall, when we finally heard someone shouting down near the outlet end of the lake. We shouted back, and not long after that one the guys made it back to our campsite, but only had one shoe on. I asked him where his other shoe was, he said did not know. I asked him where his friends are, he said he didn’t know.

Now it was going on 10pm and again Jason & I talked about hiking out to get help for the other guys who hadn’t made it back yet. We contemplated it & discussed it for a while, along with Shoe-less Chris (as we now called him), when finally we heard the rest of the group making their way back to the lean-to.

Thankfully everything worked out in the end, but there were a few hours there where we were pretty worried. Especially for Shoe-less Chris who may have been way too drunk and suffering early symptoms of hypothermia not knowing what happened to his other sneaker or his friends. But he did seem to return to a bit more normal after warming up near our campfire while waiting for his friends to return.

Jason & I packed up & left early the following morning, and never got a chance to find out the actual story, but haven’t been back to T Lake since.

Last edited by Justin; 10-23-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Old 10-27-2019, 08:41 PM   #15
Neil
Kayak-46

Great story Justin.
We hiked into the LT Sat. morning and quickly took off for LD Pond Mtn., T-Lake, Scotch Pond and White Birch peaks. A very full day it was with some extremely steep hiking/scrambling up one side and down the other of these "little" 3k peaks. I was a tag-along on my friend's quest to hike every 3k peak in the NE, of which there are 777.
The hike out today was incredibly wet. The feast at the LT last night was awesome.
Old 10-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #16
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

"Reminds me of a funny story about a group of younger dudes a friend & I encountered at T Lake during an early April trip several years ago..
Perhaps I’ll share it a little later when get a little more time."

Good story. Didn't we have a conversation not too long ago about mandating information to people like this who get courageous from a jug and venture into the realms of Mother Nature without the least bit of common sense or preparedness? I know this incident is aged but they were damn lucky to fare as well as they did. I'm sure Wildrness has some stories to relate that don't have happy endings as this one did. Thanks for the story Justin.
Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 PM   #17
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

My parents (long gone now) weren't hikers or much into outdoor activities like that, but in the 1950s would take my brother and me up to Piseco to visit a friend who owned some cabins. When I started hiking the 46, I recall them telling me about climbing T-Lake Mountain on one of those cabin trips, and how hard it was for them to do that hike. As the story goes, my Mother was so tired, that she fell asleep in the fire tower. A couple weeks after my father passed away (preceded by my mother), I decided to do a solo memorial trip and visit T-Lake for the first time. Of course, the fire tower is gone, but when I reached the lake, I took a compass bearing and bushwhacked to the summit. I even saw the bolts that used to hold the tower. I was good to connect with my parents that way.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:38 AM   #18
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

i've been there a few times, rarely see people. we will be doing TM tomorrow to the LT, and hopefully will have time and ambition to go to the falls, sans gallon jugs of alcohol...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:58 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
...sans gallon jugs of alcohol...
I forgot to mention that they never came back with that either.