Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 PM   #1
BushwhackingFirestar

PBS Adirondack Show

Saw PBS is airing a special on Adirondacks on MAy 14. Not sure if date is right, check your local listings.

Bushwhacking Firestarter
BushwhackingFirestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Any hint of the content? They have two or three shows about the dacks that get repeated periodically. Maybe this is a new one.

PBS is an oasis in the TV wasteland
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #3
timetohike

given that the release date of this PBS DVD about the Adirondacks is scheduled for 5/13/2008 I'd guess it would be as described:

"On six million acres in upstate New York, the Adirondack Park is by far the largest park in the lower 48 states. Its land is divided almost evenly between protected wilderness and privately owned tracts creating a pattern of ownership that maintains a delicate relationship between progress and preservation. Through the perspectives of several characters, this program explores the history, seasonal landscape and current state of the Adirondacks."
Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 PM   #4
AdRegion
TourPro

I can report that several entities including Adirondack Tourism, Buffalo PBS, Wild Center, and a few local counties all chipped in last summer for a helicopter video shoot. This was a redo of the previous footage shown in the "Adirondack Blue" - now we have over 14 hours all in HD.

If it is what Buffalo was working on, here's a taste of the footage:

Adirondack Aerial Tour

The last few frames show me at the top of Ampersand.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Cool

Where you waiting for the chopper to animate the shot?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #6
hikerdad

Thanks for the heads up on the program...I'l be looking for it and thanks for the video...it made a great virtual escape....
hikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:54 PM   #7
AdRegion
TourPro

"Animate"...that's funny.

I was in communication with someone in the helicopter so we could coordinate timing. We were about a mile from the summit and he was calling every 15 minutes to see if we were there yet. The young lady I was hiking with literally kicked my butt up the hill.

Finally, when they did the overflights (about 10?), we posed and walked around a bit. It got a little close at one point, 30ft overhead?, and we were almost blown off the top.

You might notice another guy sitting on an island in an Adirondack chair. Well, he got the easy job. They motored over with all the stuff and all he had to do was look relaxed.

A really good edit of the footage was done by Carl Heilmann and can be seen at the Wild Center.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Bill I.

I'm guessing the pilot had done that kind of flying before, because the flight paths seem to be major components of the shots. It's more than I remember seeing when we took one of those sightseeing flights years ago.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #9
CaLculAted Risk
Aspiring 46er

That footage was completely awesome...

I will be setting the DVR to record that one.

While you are watching PBS on that date, David Breashears new movie about the 1996 Everest disaster (Into Thin Air) called STORM OVER EVEREST is also scheduled to be released on May 13th. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...t/#description

Last edited by CaLculAted Risk; 04-25-2008 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: grammar
CaLculAted Risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #10
1ADAM12
Should I Jump?????????????

Does anyone know what the name of the show is? I can't seem to find it under my PBS listing.

Thanks,
Adam
1ADAM12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
AdRegion
TourPro

Just got my copy of the Explorer and a fresh cup of coffee.

Pg 4

Quote:
May 14...two-hour special title The Adirondacks.

The show is divided into four seasonal segments, each introduced by naturalist Ed Kanze, who writes the "On the Wild Side" column for the Adirondack Explorer. Phil Brown...also makes an appearance, talking about Bob Marshall, the wilderness champion.

A joint production of WNED-TV in Buffalo and Working Dog Productions, The Adirondacks will air at 9 p.m. Local stations will have the option of rerunning the show. ...
Old 05-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #12
AdRegion
TourPro

I am so proud to live and work here!!!

Here's a teaser from my preview copy

And me on top of Ampersand! (1:16:02)

Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #13
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

There is also a program about 19th century Adirondack photographer Seneca Ray Stoddard on the 15 at 10pm

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM   #14
dharter

I can't wait! I've got a fire in the fireplace, and I'm ready to watch. I almost brought a TV out to a tent in the backyard so I could pretend I was there.
dharter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
Justin
Moving along

Cool program!
Thanks so much for the heads up.

...Gotta go, it's still on.

Any word on seeing a re-run, for those who may have missed it, or want to see it again?

---
I couldn't help but recognize some of the familiar locations, and some familiar names throughout the show. It was good to finally put a face on Clarence Petty, who's been mentioned on the forum more than a few times.

Last edited by Justin; 05-15-2008 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: Mr. Petty
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #16
acm
Administrator

bushwackingfirestarter -

Funny. I just posted about this on my forum asking if anyone recorded it. I am watching it now.

I also posted a link in my thread to part of the video
http://www.adventurehiker.com/forums...php?topic=49.0
acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
wiiawiwb

Excellent show. Thanks for letting us know about it.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
Wldrns

I liked 80% of it. I am surprised so much time was spent on the 90 Miler. Did you see my team there?

I was disappointed on two counts... virtually nothing was mentioned of the NYSDEC, and especially rangers and other field employees who keep the park running smoothly.

The ending left me with a downbeat sour taste regarding the Tupper Lake controversy. Not that it shouldn't have been covered, but the ending could have left us with something more positive and uplifting for such a wonderful outdoor region.

Last edited by Wldrns; 05-15-2008 at 09:26 AM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM   #19
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

It will be on again, check your local listings..

I thought it was ok, not great. Made the park look like a giant playground for people dressed in spandex and goretex,, not a place that people live and work in. Don't remember seeing much on hunting,trapping,and other outdoor pursuits that many find unpopular ,such as snowmobiles and ATVs. If you knew nothing about the park , it would give you an idea if what it is, but not a total picture by any means. I suppose it met the goals of the producers.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 AM   #20
Hobbitling
spring fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Made the park look like a giant playground for people dressed in spandex and goretex,, not a place that people live and work in.
I think they covered the "people live and work here" angle very thoroughly. they had a whole segment about logging, farming etc... Although they did neglect the hunting/fishing angle a bit.