Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #41
timetohike

I'm going to pull a "Johnny Cash"and start wearing black untill all the people who have been ticket under the snow shoe regulation are vidicated.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #42
DRIFTER

It's vindicated......cheeeeese!

Last edited by DRIFTER; 05-13-2008 at 06:43 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 10:06 PM   #43
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK-DRIFTER View Post
First, [again], I haven't had a speeding ticket in 27 years, I am not a speeder.....I guess that doesn't account for anything, although if I were a frequent offender it would, right! I was followed by a late model Mercedes with a black haired ,[pony tailed man], chasing me and cutting in front of me for no apparent reason at least 8 times and hitting his brakes on I88. After entering the thruway, he still pursued me, I tried to lose him to diffuse a strange situation....Don't you believe the officer after running my license should have checked if a black Mercedes went through the speed pass lane at the I88 entrance to the thruway??????? Sorry for any spelling or grammer fluffs...I was rushed!
Quote:
I'm waiting mavs double o,,, stop doing spell check! Don't ban me though, I'm sensitive!
I did tell.....
The reason I say BS escuse, is not so much cause I, or any of us think so (we don't matter), It's because, the COP thought so. You might be 100% dead on in your story, but when the cop pulls you over, he neither knows, or particularly CARES about it. What he know is that you were going 13 MPH over the posted limit. Put yourself in his shoes. HE HEARS EVERY EXCUSE IN THE BOOK, EVERYDAY, ALL DAY.

Unless you were actually being tailed by the "rouge Mercedes" at the time he veiwed you, all he viewed you as "another guy" not obiding by the speed limit. Plain and simple. Often times, and I'll tell you this from experience. If you are polite, quiet, don't make excuses, keep your hands where they can see them, ask to open the glove box, ect..... 7 times out of ten, they'll go back to there car and look you up and see that you are "clean driver" and let you off with a warning.

They hear excuses all day, see whining, crying damsels in distress. They aren't particularly moved or impressed by either. That was my point.

I was right though, it was a good story. Sorry about the ticket
Old 05-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #44
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
That's what I thought, but I didn't want to state it as fact. Someone recently told me that a Forest Ranger recently threatened to issue him a ticket because he didn't have a license plate on the front of his truck.
So back to the question. What is the difference between an ECO officer and a ranger?
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 05-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #45
DRIFTER

Mavs; Your right 100%, I've always been polite and have gotten out of my share of tickets. I was polite this time also, but it made no difference! I have employed an attorney, which I have grown accustomed to after 4 1/2 years in family court and I'll probably skip on points. Wrong person at wrong time I guess........
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #46
timetohike

Quote:
It's vindicated......cheeeeese, This threads gone top shi<
It's "to"..cheeeeese, "t"his thread has gone 2 shi<

Old 05-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #47
DRIFTER

Whatever you say boss!.... You can follow along and pick-up the dead bodies along the way? I read your link!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #48
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Mavs; Your right 100%, I've always been polite and have gotten out of my share of tickets. I was polite this time also, but it made no difference! I have employed an attorney, which I have grown accustomed to after 4 1/2 years in family court and I'll probably skip on points. Wrong person at wrong time I guess........
No doubt. Beleive me, there are a few cops that enjoy busting stones like that, or in the midst of a bad day, but the overwhelming majority aren't like that. For routine stuff like speeding, the let more slide then they do crack the whip. Most of the time it comes down to the attitude of the stopped.

I'd been pulled over a multitude of times (before I had my badge) and I only got a ticket 1 time, and it was the one time I made a dumb comment. I said - "I was just going with traffic, why did I get stopped and eveyone else didn't." His response: "Ever go fishing" - "Yes, of course" - "Did you ever catch all the fish? Have a nice day, here's your citation"
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #49
DRIFTER

Gotchya!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:49 PM   #50
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Whatever you say boss!.... You can follow along and pick-up the dead bodies along the way? I read your link!
Yeah, be careful....... I see dead people.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:37 AM   #51
oldsmores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
Yeah, be careful....... I see dead people.
If only we could see this thread dead! Drive a wooden stake through its heart...
Old 05-13-2008, 09:08 AM   #52
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00 View Post
I'd been pulled over a multitude of times (before I had my badge) and I only got a ticket 1 time, and it was the one time I made a dumb comment. I said - "I was just going with traffic, why did I get stopped and eveyone else didn't." His response: "Ever go fishing" - "Yes, of course" - "Did you ever catch all the fish? ***insert here*** Have a nice day, here's your citation"
"Or the biggest one?"

Yeah Tim, that was a pretty lame excuse. Betchya never used that one again!!

But back to the snowshoe incident. I wasn't there, I don't know any more than what the OP on the other thread stated, so I don't know what went so terribly wrong. I do agree that the snowshoe reg is kinda silly in many ways, and definitely far too stringent if applied to its letter.

I do agree with many other posters here that if you're nice to the authority, the authority will be nice (most of the time) to you. Often the cop just uses the little infraction as an excuse to engage the individual and see if there might be something more serious going on (DWI, stolen vehicle, etc). I've been told that point blank by at least one statey. That's been my experience at least. Did the "be nice" factor play into the snowshoe incident? As I said, I wasn't there, etc, etc.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
Old 05-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #53
ADK Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
So back to the question. What is the difference between an ECO officer and a ranger?
First off, both of these two positions have more power than a State Trooper. They can enforce all laws that a Trooper can plus the enviromental laws. The difference between the two is that Forest Rangers are more for enforcing natural resources regulations, like timber harvesting and mining operations, fire prevention laws, and state land use, but they can enforce many other laws. Eco's are more of the police officers where they enforce game laws, atv and snowmobile use, and more of private land use regulations. The line where one ends and the other begins is not a clear cut line though because both have many of the same enforcement powers that overlap.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #54
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
As I mentioned before, this question has already been asked and answered.

In short, the difference is very minimal.

As for getting out of traffic tickets: I always get a kick out of people with the "Police Benevolent Association" stickers on their cars, usually in the front or back window where a cop is certain to see it. Do these people really think this is going to get them out of a ticket?

"I'm sorry for taking your time, sir. I clocked you doing 110 in a school zone. I was going to give you a ticket, but here's my donut instead. Next time, slow down a little so I can see your PBA sticker."

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM   #55
Kevin
**BANNED**

Another tangent - what are the jurisdiction of each Officer (Ranger and ECO)? I would assume the Ranger's is on State wilderness/protected lands, while the ECO has state AND private land jurisdiction.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #56
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

I had heard a story years ago where the State Police would use the ECO to do a preliminary search of a suspects home,under the justification of game violations, and then if they saw anything they would report to the Troopers who would then come back with a search warrant that allowed for a more detailed exam and arrest. The idea was that the ECO actually needed less cause to search than the Trooper. Don't know if it was true.

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 AM   #57
ken999

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetohike View Post
The DEC's claim that it "takes conditions into consideration" is not sufficient to give notice to a hiker unless the DEC is going to post public notice on the trail at points where it is OK to switch to crampons. Otherwise, the switch is left to the sole discretion of the hiker and it is ludicrious to first give a person that discretion and then give them a ticket for exercising that discretion.

The regulation should be re-written with a more specific criteria. For example, it could be modified to say snows are required whenever necessary to prevent the hiker from sinking deeper than the hiker's ankles or whatever deepth is thought appropriate. Then there should also be a corresponding crampon regulation that requires use of crampons or snowshoes on iced slopes.
I understand all of this, but with only 3 people ticketed all winter, is the snowshoe reg. REALLY a problem, or is this simply a case of "I gotta ticket, so I'm gonna rock the boat..."

Sometimes you have to be careful of what you ask for, cause you just might get it.

To me it's pretty simple. Get out of the car. Put your snowshoes/skis on. Start up the trail. When you can't go anymore, or it's getting dangerous to proceed with the shoes/skis, put on crampons. When you don't need the crampons anymore, put the shoes/skis back on.

I seriously doubt that anyone will ever get a ticket if they do just that.

Walking back into the parking lot wearing your crampons...that's just asking for a ticket...or at the very least, you will be asked why your wearing the crampons and not shoes/skis.

It'll be interesting to see if they change the law, and if they do, will enforcement officers see to it that the rules are followed more, with less people getting off with warnings.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #58
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999 View Post
I understand all of this, but with only 3 people ticketed all winter, is the snowshoe reg. REALLY a problem, or is this simply a case of "I gotta ticket, so I'm gonna rock the boat..."

Awww, come on Ken, in 40 years Kevin will be seen as the Rosa Parks of the Adirondacks.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 AM   #59
ken999

Could be...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:39 AM   #60
Kevin
**BANNED**

I agree with that scenario Ken. It's just the enforcement is wishy-washy because the regulation isn't cut/dry like your example.

This isn't the biggest issue in the world today but it deserves its time to be corrected or fade away. I'm giving the subject some time in the public light and if enough people want change they'll demand it. The snowshoe regualtion has nothing to do with me, and it's only those with a beef with me (prior history dating 3+ years) that seem to be making it about me. Have fun with that.
Closed Thread