Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
rbi99

What bit me?

Absolutely no big deal, just curious as to what bit me. While at Pharoah last week got about a dozen bites of some kind. Each itches intermittently, and the mark is a rather small red bump of pretty much equal size. Not a mosquito or black fly bite(very few mosquitoes and no black flies around at the time), and probably not a spider bite since we were in a tent that was very clean with no signs of any kind of bug in them. Lot of little bugs flying around us during the day, especially when we were sweating. But if it was those critters, then only one in twenty or so were biting.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
ADK Tank

My guess is the little bugs were No-See-Ums. They will bite and you won't even know it until after they are done.
ADK Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:51 AM   #3
Hobbitling
spring fever

maybe charlie bit you
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/cbcdd006be
Old 05-14-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
Absolutely no big deal, just curious as to what bit me. While at Pharoah last week got about a dozen bites of some kind. Each itches intermittently, and the mark is a rather small red bump of pretty much equal size. Not a mosquito or black fly bite(very few mosquitoes and no black flies around at the time), and probably not a spider bite since we were in a tent that was very clean with no signs of any kind of bug in them. Lot of little bugs flying around us during the day, especially when we were sweating. But if it was those critters, then only one in twenty or so were biting.
Little tiny bears, maybe!

You didn't say where the bites were...on your legs, maybe chiggers or fleas?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Sounds like a visit from El Chupacobra to me.

More than likely No-See-Ums.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #6
michaelb

I would like to point out that spiders do not bite, at least not at all in the way that you are describing. How this myth persists bugs me.

If the bites weren't no see ums (I don't remember noticing red marks after getting biten by NSUs), I would guess they were black fly bites. It is normal for black flies to swarm around a lot but bite only a little early in the season.
michaelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelb View Post
If the bites weren't no see ums (I don't remember noticing red marks after getting biten by NSUs), I would guess they were black fly bites. It is normal for black flies to swarm around a lot but bite only a little early in the season.
What was described sure sounds like classic black fly bites. The little bugs flying around during the day also sound like black flies, can't be much else this time of year. As has been often mentioned here, the first hatch does not tend to bite, but that was over a week ago so they are by now beginning to now learn what their job is. Noseeums (punkies in the local vernacular) usually wait until later in the season and come out during hot humid evenings, kinda rare in May. You wouldn't see them flying around without using a magnifying glass.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #8
Hobbitling
spring fever

I had a friend who was conviced that horseflies were called blackflies, and black flies were noseeums. I couldnt convince him otherwise, even when I pointed out that I could seeum, therefore they couldnt be noseeums. I dont know what he called horse flies.

it was like an Abbot and Costello act.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #9
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbi99 View Post
Lot of little bugs flying around us during the day, especially when we were sweating. But if it was those critters, then only one in twenty or so were biting.
With 100% certainty, those are black flies. I had a very similar experience at the opposite end of the Park this past weekend (no bites for me though), and I'm looking forward to more fun & games this week.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
Budnick11

I agree those swarming ones were definitely blackflies, but just as a precaution you might want to check and make sure that your sleeping bag isn't infested with any type of little critters. One time we pulled my father's old army surplus bag out of the closet only to unroll it and find it infested with earwigs.

To say the least, my buddy bought a new sleeping bag that weekend instead of borrowing that one.
Budnick11 is offline   Reply With Quote