Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #1
bills328

Seward Range Questions – Your help is greatly appreciated

I hope to hike the Seward, Donaldson, and Emmons via the Calkins brook route next week.

1. Will Corey’s road be open all the way until the trailhead?

2. Does anyone know the exact mileage for the loop? I have had a hard time finding it but think it may be a tough 13.7 miles.

3. How hard is it to find the herd path to return via Calkins brook when descending Donaldson? I have not hiked in this area before.

4. Do you have any idea how much snow will still be in this area? Last weekend I hiked Mt. Marshall and was surprised how much snow was left low down on the Calamity Brook trail but then hiked Cascade and Porter the next day and there was very little snow left.

Thanks very much for your responses.
bills328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
ferrisjrf

According to my GPS tracklog, the winter mileage is 20.3 miles round trip; with 2.8 miles each way from the winter trailhead to the summer trailhead. So, summer mileage should be about 14.7 miles.

I'm not sure if the road will be open to the summer trailhead yet, though.

In terms of snow, I'd definitely plan on bringing snowshoes.

And I would guess that if you follow the herd path up to Donaldson, you'll probably be able to pick it up on the way down.

Others will probably be able to provide more definitive info, especially on Corey's Rd.

Jason
ferrisjrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
ADKMatt

The herd path is very easy to pick up again on the way down Donaldson. I did this hike last fall and the distance from the Calkins Brook junction to the summit of Donaldson is so short, there's no way you could miss it on the way back. As I recall, someone had also tied off a piece of pink flagging on a tree by the junction, and I remember thinking it wasn't even necessary. As for the distance from the summer parking area, I want to say approximately 15 miles is correct. It's a loooooong day! Watch out for the hornet's nest in a dead tree to the right of the trail about 3/4 of the way up the CB trail!
ADKMatt is offline   Reply With Quote