Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Keithk
Keith

Realtor looking to buy Jarden Property (TL)

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise....html?nav=5008

I'm skeptical, and not necessarily in favor of this even if it does end up happening, but I thought it'd be worth noting, considering the arguments some of us have been having about whether or not the town is "dying".

For those who followed the SL Walmart controversy, as a former SL resident and current TL resident, I feel that there would be far less opposition to such a project here in TL. Thoughts/Comments?
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

What about the 2 existing shopping centers that don't seem to be up to potential?
I hate Walmart and big box stores on principle.
But I am becoming more selfish as I grow older enjoying the convienience they might offer.(even if they increase the deficit more,798 billion this year,seems all of the older larger industrailaized countries are in the same boat)

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
adk-46r
IT'S GRACE & CARSON PEAKS

I think a Walmart would be great;but I don't see Walmart putting a store in a place that is not centrally locate to other populated areas . Malone and Plattsburgh have Walmarts and so much more. It is 44 miles to Malone from SL and 52 miles to Plattsburgh from Lake Placid. It is true that the distance is less to Tupper but there is a larger variety of shopping and dining options in the other two towns. Saranac Lake is more centrally located in the tri-lakes and in my opinion would be a better location. With Gas prices out of site Tupper sounds good to me but Tupper is out there with only small communities surrounding it and I am not sure it could draw enough to warrant a large box store to come to Tupper. Tupper needs something but I agree with chairrock "What about the 2 existing shopping centers that don't seem to be up to potential?"
IT IS MY HOME
IT IS WHERE I WORK
adk-46r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
Old Rivers

I think the town would be pulling the rug from under Wisebuy (Hackett's) & Smart Buy who they practically begged to come into town just a couple years ago. I also think this is typial for town politicians who are just looking at expansion regardless ofconsequences.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Bigger question still - how are the rising gas prices going to negatively impact tourism dollars, and how long can these already struggling communities exist with their primary source of revenue waning?
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Keithk
Keith

well...

I think a strong argument can be made that, because of our proximity to some major populations centers, we won't suffer to greatly. Afterall, if you're a family living in NYC, or on Long Island or wherever, 7 hours north to the dacks is a heck of a lot closer than driving out west to a national park for vaca.

In fact, despite the high gas prices all year, as I understand it this was one of ORDA's best years ever... attendance at the ski areas was WAY up.... of course it was one heck of a winter and it snowed a lot, but I've seen no figures to indicate that tourism is hurting (yet, maybe) here in the 'Dacks.
"In short, a land ethic changes the role of Homo Sapiens from conqueror of the land-community to plain member and citizen of it. It implies respect for his fellow-members, and also respect for the community as such."

Aldo Leopold
Old 05-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
Keithk
Keith

Hacketts vs. Kmart/Walmart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Rivers View Post
I think the town would be pulling the rug from under Wisebuy (Hackett's) & Smart Buy who they practically begged to come into town just a couple years ago. I also think this is typial for town politicians who are just looking at expansion regardless ofconsequences.
They're pretty different stores... Hacketts, which Wisebuys is becoming, is much less of a discounter in the Walmart sense. They carry a lot of nice brands of clothing, lots of outdoor gear, nicer products in general. Also the Wisebuys/Hacketts is going to retain the Radio Shack and Payless Shoes inside the store itself, so maybe that'll help. I'm not saying that a Walmart or Kmart wouldn't squeeze Hacketts bigtime, but I think they're different enough that the Hacketts would survive.

Interestingly enough, when the Potsdam Walmart opens up (soon?) they'll also have a Hacketts and a Walmart. It'll be interesting to see how they both fare.

Aldo Leopold
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #8
colden46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Bigger question still - how are the rising gas prices going to negatively impact tourism dollars, and how long can these already struggling communities exist with their primary source of revenue waning?
I can see it going either way. They'll probably lose some business from people making fewer weekend or day trips, but pick up business from people vacationing in the Adirondacks rather than flying or driving a longer distance. I grew up in central NY and some of our family vacations were to Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, and Acadia. The couple hour drive to the Adirondacks sounds mighty nice compared to 10+ hours to each of those other destinations.

I read something a month or two ago saying that state campground reservations in the Adks are up 15% compared to last year, so this isn't complete speculation.
colden46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 PM   #9
adkman12986

I can see some great potential from people who do not live in Tupper Lake but the surrounding towns, like long Lake, Crandberry Lake, Newcomb, Star Lake and a few others. Instead of driving to Glens Falls or Watertown they can come 30-45 minutes drive. I would like to see the store if it did come in keep with an Adirondack theme for the store front. As far as it hurting the little mom and pop stores they (Wal mart) doesn't carry the specialized items that most of them do. Loss of jobs/income along with increased taxes plus high gas prices are not only detering tourist but driving people away from their homes.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:34 AM   #10
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Tourism is not the primary source of revenue in the Adirondacks. Rather, most of the income in the park comes from the prisons. Tourism is a close second.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Walmart equals made in China or somewhere other than USA which helps add to the 800 Billion Dollar Trade Deficit which keeps the dollar weak and FUEL PRICES up. (Partially)

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote