Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
mdh2861
Administrator

Really, how bad is it?

I am going to Inlet this weekend. Planning on doing some hiking, canoeing, relaxing and eating out. I've read a lot about the black flies. Is it so crazy that I will HAVE to wear a masquito net over my face and long sleeves or risk being chomped to bits? Will this be the most miserable trip i've ever taken? Or is every thing I read a bit of an over exaduration.
mdh2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2861 View Post
I am going to Inlet this weekend. Planning on doing some hiking, canoeing, relaxing and eating out. I've read a lot about the black flies. Is it so crazy that I will HAVE to wear a masquito net over my face and long sleeves or risk being chomped to bits? Will this be the most miserable trip i've ever taken? Or is every thing I read a bit of an over exaduration.
Its so highly weather and location dependent that no one can predict ahead of time. But there are no exaggerations in most of the stories you have heard. Especially if you are not accustomed to this season in the woods, you certainly DO want to have available a head net, long sleeves and long pants and the understanding this is part of being in the woods. Don't go crazy with the repellent/bug spray trying to kill every bug in sight. You wont succeed.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Bill I.

Different people react differently to the bugs. Some people have no tolerance for the ba$tards, and these people will be miserable in the woods right now. Others have gotten used to them and aren't fazed very much.

But, quantitatively, this seems to be the worst year for black flies I've seen in about the last four years. I don't know if anyone else agrees with that or not.

The warmer the weather, the more of them we'll see this weekend. As Wldrns said, this is normal for Memorial Day.
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:55 PM   #4
LifeOutside

I love black flies so much that I've picked a nice pristine camp spot on the north end of Putnam Pond in the swampy lilypad area with the loud as hell frogs this Memorial Day weekend.
It probably will be pretty bad, last year I was at Lake Durant at this time and it was pretty nasty. At Chubb Pond around the beginning of the month they were sorta out in force, but quickly died down with the temperature changes.
In truth they don't phase me much anymore. They use to be annoying but I've learned how to deal with them... What I can't stand is how they invade your vehicle when you have the windows down. I can put up with em outside, but not all over my windows. :/
Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Marty From SF
Left Coast Correspondent

Black Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh2861 View Post
Everyone should experience black flies at least once to twice to see how they affect you. They make me nuts, so I stay away during those times, but I have been with people who are "naturally immune" to them. Bring lots of bug spray, a net and be prepared for the worst. Then you might find it isn't a problem.
Marty From SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #6
JClimbs
Callousedhand

Procedure for Immunity:
Go out during blackfly season - often.
For fifteen years.
Eventually, they tire of your flavor. Or you learn to ignore them.

Really, if you keep moving, wear a billed cap and long pants/sleeves, they're not bad. It's when you stop that they nail you. Try to pick breezy places for all your pauses.
EMS sells some great super-lightweight clothes for warm weather hiking. Their Scout pants and lightweight longsleeved shirts are reasonably priced and won't make you feel miserable hot.
JClimbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by JClimbs View Post
EMS sells some great super-lightweight clothes for warm weather hiking. Their Scout pants and lightweight longsleeved shirts are reasonably priced and won't make you feel miserable hot.
And if you want an even better deal on the lightweight pants/shirts - go to the Boy Scout store online...same stuff, logo isn't noticeable, but the price is noticeably lower.

In fact, their "SwitchBack" lightweight zip-off pants are now buy one, get one free.