Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Foxey Brown

Foxey Brown: Adirondack Character

Anyone ever heard of Foxey Brown/David Brennan, legendary Piseco Lake character of the 1890's/early 1900's? A new book: Foxey Brown: A story of an Adirondack outlaw, hermit, and guide as he might have told it is now available.

Foxey Brown... is the fact-based story of railroad worker and college student David Brennan who fled to the Adirondack Mountains in 1890 after a Boston barroom fight. Convinced he had killed a man in the fight Brennan became a lumberjack, hermit and guide.

Forced to change his name, Brennan came to be known as David “Foxey” Brown. As Foxey Brown he overcame many obstacles, established a self-sufficient homestead, and became a highly respected hunting and fishing guide only to have tragedy strike that led to the largest manhunt in Adirondack history.

Brown’s life coincided with establishment of the Adirondack Park in 1885 and rise of the American conservation movement. As an Adirondack resident and guide Brown witnessed and experienced how working class people tried to cope with increasingly strict State conservation laws and private parks as traditional ways of life disappeared. Some individuals resorted to thievery, poaching, setting forest fires and murder.

More than a history, Foxey Brown… is about human resilience and the transformation of a man’s outlook and approach to life. Despite having taken place nearly a century ago, Brown’s experience has messages for modern people.

Check the book out at https://www.createspace.com/3574057 or at Amazon.com
Foxey Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Neil
Kayak-46

Just letting everyone know that I approved the above post in consideration of the subject matter.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #3
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Interesting... I'll probably pick this up at some point. I've often looked at the spot marked as Foxey Brown's hermitage on the map and wanted to find it. I remember reading about him in at least one book (I think one of Donald Wharton's books if I remember correctly). The book was older, published in the 60's or 70's, and even then, his hermitage had mostly become overgrown.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Foxey Brown

Sorry to be so long responding. I'll check out Don Wharton and see if there is additional info on Foxey Brown. Hope you get to read the book. It's selling very well in many Adirondack bookstores and via amazon. com.
Foxey Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
BigTone
Go Big or Go Home!

Great book, Great read, I highly recommend it! The mix of fact and imagination make it a very interesting read. It really makes you think about what it must have been like to live in the woods at that time.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
mapscannotcontainme

Damn. I thought for sure this was going to be a thread about Pam Grier. Oh well. Interesting story nonetheless.
- Bob Dylan, Things Have Changed
mapscannotcontainme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
wildbrookies

Almost finished the book on Foxey Brown. Very interesting book depicting yet another figure that lived in the adk`s and loved his life back in the woods ,guiding ,farming and living off of the land with his companion Spook.He was a very good hunter and fisherman. Very well-known guide as well. I also highly recommend this book to whomever is interested in learning about a man who truly loved his life in the backcountry and what it is like to survive in good and bad situations. He mustve been been a cool dude he was good friends with French Louie.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
Dacker

Just finished the book, everyone should read it.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #9
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

Does anyone have a GPS coordinate that this hermitage was? I have poured over maps and satellite images using landmarks described in the authors description and found an area I think to b in proximity, however its still 2.5m x 2.5m which is a lot of area to cover by bushwhacking. I also have been looking for his "rock that looks like a locomotive" which is an exercise in futility using satellite imaging. I would like to take the wife in and spend a couple day relaxing away from everyone and show her just how interesting history can be, when you can see it and feel it....any help would be appreciated.
colinzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #10
Dacker

Looking for a book that covers just about Alvah Dunning. Have read other books that a few mentions of him but not just about him.