Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #21
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerbob
I just tried calling Terry and he is not home I will try later.
Dismal Pond is one of my favorite places in the area. Probably nobody knows that area more than Terry. But John Scanlon (the current ranger) has a good bit of experience in there too, though more to the north toward Crooked. A few years ago I approached Dismal from the west and found an old logging trail, barely followable, mostly not. Since then I have a couple of times approached bushwhacking with my Hornbeck from the east/Hawk pond. There's quite an ATV trail system on the north side of Dismal, unfortunately.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 PM   #22
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

"There's quite an ATV trail system on the north side of Dismal, unfortunately."

That's because, Lot 12 of Watson's East Triangle is private property..tho- not posted (haven't had to, yet). Although, I don't ATV anymore- part of that trail thru the private lot, is on the "Moynehan Rd." My families been traveling into that area for WELL over 100 years....I pratically, grew up there.

Haven't been there, too often lately, though and haven't been lucky enough to see the moose- like you have .

AND- this ties into the reason for this topic...how?
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --

Last edited by pondhopper; 10-21-2006 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: too much info
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #23
najobzly

Bob, the map title is The Adirodack Mountains and The St. Lawrence reservation. Prepared by NY Conservation Dept, based on USGS topo 1932.

Pondhopper, I have a couple of maps that make me cringe everytime I unfold them, that is one of them. That area is one of my favorites as well, my family also spent many weeks of many summers in that area.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #24
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Cool beans, najobzly. I can relate to the map thing, too- My Wallaces Guide to the Adirondacks was in pratically mint condition, when I got it......now, thanks to a younger me & some family members: it's still OK, but not like it WAS. There were some nice maps inside the book, too.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #25
najobzly

I can imagine, I have thought about getting some stuff copied and reprinted. But it is not cheap.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:26 PM   #26
Creekwader
Snag Locator

You were right, I ain't got it. I have the 1947 reprint of the 1900-1901 survey. No trace of any road near Dismal pond other than a trail from Salmon Lake to Hawk Pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondhopper
CW- That's cool and although, it's unlikely you'll find such a rarity......it's mighty nice of you to try. PS- It won't say "Moynehan Rd.", it'll just be a dotted line running from "Dismal P." to a landing on the "Beaver River"- near "Trout P.'s Outlet".

Footnote (since, I'm sure people can relate): Dad left one of these at camp that got stole. And the next to the last day that he was to retire from IPC, the people @ the headquarters gave him a huge tube filled w/old maps, including several of this particular map. He leaned the tube in a corner of his office, near the trashcan and forgot to take it home that night. When, he came back to work for his last day, he discovered that the janitor had thrown the maps out along with the trash.
Creekwader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:58 PM   #27
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekwader
You were right, I ain't got it. I have the 1947 reprint of the 1900-1901 survey. No trace of any road near Dismal pond other than a trail from Salmon Lake to Hawk Pond.
Aw, that's alright, CW I really appreciate you & everyone trying to help me out. But- I think, I have a line on the map, here @ home and hopefully, the wheels are in motion .

PS- najobzly....maybe, you should consider getting some of your maps laminated. You'll no longer, be able to fold them, but you can roll em'. That's what I did to some of my older maps....like: a 1902 Forest Commission, Adirondack map, showing state land in red/ private in white. The four different sections, combine to take up a 6' x 6' (approx) area of one of my walls......it even shows the entire lengths of the "Emilyville Rd." and "Old Military Rd.".....ha ha - ya, I know- that's only something, which "map buffs" can appreciate.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:57 AM   #28
ltrangerbob

PH, was it a USGS topo and if so what year? Just curious.
ltrangerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #29
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerbob View Post
PH, was it a USGS topo and if so what year? Just curious.

ltrangerbob- It's probably, going to take some time, because I didn't want to come across as "too pushy" for the person doing the actual leg work....but I'll send you a PM, when I get all the (if any) details.

Last edited by pondhopper; 10-20-2006 at 09:15 AM..
Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 AM   #30
najobzly

PH, I have thought about the laminating thing. I guess I kind of feel like that takes something from old maps, I actually like the smell and the carefull unfolding... I am a bit nuts I have an old stack still in the original envelope sent by the conservation dept. in 1935

Talk about a treasure, a 1902 Forest Commission, Adirondack map is certainly one! I tried convincing the wife that it would be cool to put up maps on the walls of the office.... She said it would be ok in the basement
Old 10-20-2006, 05:27 PM   #31
najobzly

OK thanks a bunch there PH, now you have my wheels spinning
You said you have a 1902 forest commission map. How often were those published? I have seen a 1909 and I would not have thought they updated them with such frequency? Is the map you are talking about the hard cover type with fold out maps inside?

Nice to meet a fellow map addict.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 PM   #32
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

LOL- thought I had your #, najobzly.

Yes, that's the 4 fold out maps with the hard cover.

Here's a link I found, while trying all kinds of web searches for the one I'm looking for: http://www.murrayhudson.com/antique_.../new_york.html

There's a couple F-Commission maps listed in there....down towards the bottom. Of course, if you want to buy a few more other types of maps, while perusing there.....I'm sure, your wife will appreciate it!
Old 10-21-2006, 05:05 AM   #33
najobzly

That's quite a site, but wow!! Big $$$$. I am sure the wife would love a few $400 maps.... great x-mas idea! The lake george map by S.R. stoddard would be something to have
Old 08-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #34
Shasta88

Antique totp maps

I have several Antique maps of the NYS and many of the Adirondacks, please let me know if you are interested.

Thank Tom
Shasta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:05 AM   #35
ndoggac

Realize this is an old thread, but thought people might find this old topo useful.

USGS 15 minute quadrangles produced from 1895 to 1910 covering the Adirondack Park

Web Map
http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/8krRUW...Server?f=jsapi

Services Page from ArcGIS (for other tile server choices)
http://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/8krRUW...saic/MapServer

Found on the Adirondack Park Agency Website
http://apa.ny.gov/
ndoggac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:34 PM   #36
stillok

Totally off rhe subject

Read your map request and can't help you with that. But your mention of your dad working for IPC in GF made me recall an incident back in the early 1960's when a friend and I were hunting around the IPC land by O'Neill Flow off of Rt 28. We were back by the river by the flow and were approached by a somewhat panicky young lady who had gotten separated from her husband while patrolling the area for IRC. We brought her out to the road (she couldn't stop to rest because she had had a prior medical condition that caused her legs to cramp if she rested to long). Upon hitting the dirt road, she was reunited with her husband who (along with a lot of other people) was searching for her. Think her name was Sandy. I recall she sent my friend (at his request) a top map with IP's property lines penciled in. Do you recall any of that adventure?
stillok is offline   Reply With Quote