Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Adirondack Firetowers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #61
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan View Post
Reclimbed St. Regis a couple of days ago. It's a really nice trail to a great view. You can't climb the tower because the lower couple sections of stairs have been removed, but you don't need to to see the view.
Yeah, as I posted earlier in this thread, St. Regis is my favorite as well. Definitely a great peak, well worth climbing:

I've climbed St. Regis numerous times... always meant to go back and do it as an overnight (the clearing where the observer's cabin used to be is now a designated tent site) but haven't done so yet. I was reading in an old guidebook that there also used to be a lean-to on the trail up St. Regis, but it was apparently removed at the same time as the observer's cabin.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #62
jan

I originally climbed St. Regis from the old trailhead down near the Topridge gate. The last 3 times has been via the new trail, and it really is a pleasant trail that seems to be well built and well maintained. Do you know if the students at Paul Smith's are involved? I thought I remembered hearing that somewhere.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #63
sasquatch517

vanderwhacker

Can I change my vote?
My new favorite is Vanderwhacker. The view is incredible and there was no crowd. Hopefully my next climb will be Adams, may have to change my vote again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vanderwhacker mountain sm.jpg (47.6 KB, 206 views)
sasquatch517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #64
Kyler
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch517 View Post
Hopefully my next climb will be Adams, may have to change my vote again.
This was the view from Adams last weekend:

Old 07-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #65
TEO
Forty-Sixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
...St. Regis is my favorite as well. Definitely a great peak, well worth climbing:

Nice photo! What kind of camera do you use?
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #66
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEO View Post
Nice photo! What kind of camera do you use?
Nikon P7000.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #67
LongLaker

Four more towers to complete the challenge - but so far Adams, Owls Head, and Poke-O-Moonshine are my favorites. List may change after I finish the challenge. Here's a couple of recent photos from Adams.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adams9.jpg (54.8 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg adams18.jpg (89.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg adams14.jpg (39.9 KB, 154 views)
LongLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:51 PM   #68
mmetzgier
mmetzgier

suspension bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesill View Post
I remember Noble Mtn tower...was the first one I ever hiked to when I was 7 or 8 years old. It the had the coolest suspension bridge across the West Canada Creek...someone must have some old pictures of that tower + bridge ?
the bridge is still there i go up and play on it and hike every couple months, and snowy has to be my favorite so far.

Last edited by mmetzgier; 09-19-2012 at 06:45 PM..
mmetzgier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #69
idratherbehiking

I've only been up Poke-O-Moonshie so that is my favorite...For now. Vanderwhcker and Hurricane are next.
idratherbehiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #70
Jackson

St Regis and Azure are my two tied for 1st place..... : )
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:24 AM   #71
AvalanchePass

Seems that Adams is the winner with 6 5/6 votes.
AvalanchePass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:07 AM   #72
IndLk_Brett

Wakely.

The view is spectacular 360° around. The tower is the tallest in the park, and it definitely feels that way in the cab! (Not located at the highest elevation, but the tallest actual tower) The first two miles of the hike are flat and make for a pleasurable walk, mostly alongside a mountain stream, while the last mile is steep enough to help keep some crowds away. The trailheadīs relative remoteness compared to nearby towers helps as well.

This past summer I hiked up and had the entire trail and tower to myself and my dog - only two people had signed the register before me that day and they had already finished. That same day I drove past Blue Mtnīs parking lot and there must have been at least 25-30 cars at the trailhead. You can see Blue and its scars all the way from atop Wakely (and the cell tower on Blue if you look very closely) and I couldn't help but think of all the people over there while I was all alone in 'my' cab.

And lastly - it certainly doesn't hurt that the trailhead is situated just a few miles down the road from my family's camp!
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:49 AM   #73
G898kyle

What's your favorite fire tower?

Id have to go with Hurricane Mtn. I would hike this one over and over again. Beats mount adams in my book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G898kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #74
BorealThrush

without a doubt, Mount Adams.
Dare to dream. If you don't dream, you don't become. Dreams are indicative of what we can do, when we let our dreams flourish. Don't let negativity from inner or outer sources thwart your dreams. The human spirit is capable of much more than what we can see.
BorealThrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #75
mohawk
chief

Beacon?
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote