Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Golddragon214

Unhappy Gov. Cuomo announces proposal to complete 750-mile statewide hiking trail

http://www.syracuse.com/state/index....art_river_home

I see a trend where having paved trails and all access is the way of the future in NYS. I hope Im wrong.
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
Trail Boss

Quote:
To build it, the state would need about 50 bridges, tunnels and culverts and would pave and grade the trail. The state would also install lighting and signage and connect it to scenic outlooks.

"Sounds like a lot but it's not a road that we're building, it's just a trail that we would pave," he [Cuomo] said during the address.

Helluva trail!

What is that? Like 375 miles of county road?
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
adkmoose

And it would all be FREE .
Old 01-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Buckladd

'Not as simple as it sounds. I've seen presentations by those involved with the Champlain/Erie Canal system who have been working on their trail from Waterford to Plattsburgh. They can't just follow the railroad all the way and they're hitting roadblocks, mainly due to wetlands, between Hudson Falls and Ticonderoga. Perhaps if Albany is getting involved it will help them.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:49 AM   #5
jan

I think it's more of a bike trail than a hiking trail. It could be a real economic boost to some communities. I've ridden the Erie from Buffalo to Albany, and the GAPCO from Pittsburgh to D.C. Many towns along them have seen the benefits of bike and/or hike tourists.
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #6
wiiawiwb

I'm sure to some big-city folks a paved "hiking trail" would seem like wilderness to them.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
real3175

I see both sides of this, I am excited as a cyclist mainly because I loath riding on the road (was hit by a driver who was texting) but wonder if this $$ could be used more effectively else where in the state. If it actually goes through, it be nice if camping along the trail in designated areas was allowed.
real3175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #9
wiiawiwb

It is going to be a hiking trail, along with a biking trail. Identifying it as a "Hiking" trail is using Cuomo's words not mine. He could have used "walking path" but he specifically chose the adjective "hiking".

My comment stands. Who, other than city folks, views a paved path as a hiking trail?
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Semantics?

"hike":
To go on an extended walk for pleasure or exercise, especially in a natural setting

verb (used without object), hiked, hiking.
to walk or march a great distance, especially through rural areas, for pleasure, exercise, military training, or the like.
noun
a long walk or march for recreational activity, military training, or the like.

"Urban Dictionary":
hiking: Walking where it's okay to pee.

Does the type or surface of the path determine the term?

Cabin fever season?
PS: nothing personal, and trying to avoid generalizations ...
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #11
Golddragon214

The title of the thread is the headline given the story by the linked news source. I didn't make it up or change it. I don't agree with the way it was titled either but it is what it is.
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddragon214 View Post
The title of the thread is the headline given the story by the linked news source. I didn't make it up or change it. I don't agree with the way it was titled either but it is what it is.
Not blaming you one bit.
"Media" taking a little creative license is nothing new, problem is when it flows through informal channels (such as forums or "social media") it tends to snowball...
timberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:15 AM   #13
paul ron

its one thing to build it, another to maintain it.

nyc has greenways, multi use trails. they were great when new but over the years the only one well maintained is the manhattan trail along the hudson river. the outter boroughs trails look like over grown jungle paths.

in some places, the park dept uses tgese paths to drive their trucks on as a short cut access to parks n golf courses pushing the intended users into pot holes n mud where the pavement is now damaged by the heavy trucks.

yeah, sounds nice, been there done that. just another black hole to throw money at.
paul ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 12:41 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ron View Post

nyc has greenways, multi use trails. they were great when new but over the years the only one well maintained is the manhattan trail along the hudson river. the outter boroughs trails look like over grown jungle paths.
A large part of the problem in the NYC area specifically (and the Hudson Valley in general) is the prevalence of invasive plant species. Multi-flora rose, Japanese barberry, Japanese knotweed, Asiatic bittersweet, and Norway maple are common invasive plants that will often densely grow into an area faster than any management agency could reasonably be expected to deal with. Some invasive species in particular, such as knotweed and phragmites, require fairly intensive procedures to remove because mowing them down will just spread them around even more (they can reproduce asexually through cloning of plant parts). Even then, such efforts are usually wasted as the plants will reseed back into the area from adjacent property rather quickly anyways.

There's even some evidence that poison ivy grows more aggressively now than it did 200 or 300 years ago. I've been to areas in the Hudson Valley and Long Island where it grew into free-standing, woody shrubs that were taller than I am.

As with any efforts to ensure long term maintenance of recreation opportunities, I think having an active friends group with willing volunteer laborers is vitally important to success of trails like this.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul ron View Post

in some places, the park dept uses tgese paths to drive their trucks on as a short cut access to parks n golf courses pushing the intended users into pot holes n mud where the pavement is now damaged by the heavy trucks.

yeah, sounds nice, been there done that. just another black hole to throw money at.
My thoughts are that if they want to "build it " or basically fill in the blank spaces , fine. But please do not pave it. The initial cost and then the long term constant yearly maintenance of blacktop would be a foolish waste of money in my opinion.

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:54 AM   #16
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

This sounds like a great trail idea except for them wanting to pave it which I think will cause pollution of the surrounding areas from the tar used in asphalt to keep it together.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote