Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2017, 11:29 AM   #1
reza

Mr. Van to Hi-Notch

Anyone have any recent info on stream crossings? Anyone know the condition of the trail---has it been skied out as of January 28?

Thanks.
reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #2
nutmeg creeker

I inquired at the HPIC(right now at the parking lot booth) when I was considering Mr. Van on Monday, 1/30. No one had checked the trail out, but the consensus is that the stream crossings are not passable. My guess is that it will take quite a bit of consistent below freezing temps before things firm up enough
Old 02-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #3
Teleskier

Along similar lines, it's been a while since I've been on the Klondike Notch trail - was the bridge over South Meadow brook ever replaced? (The one that was only a few hundred yards from the parking area.) Any info would be appreciated!

Oh - Nutmeg Creeker - you mean the renovations to the HPIC still aren't finished? Thought it was supposed to be "late December"!
Teleskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
reza

Here's what I got from an email source:

I think there is currently the best cover I've even seen on Mr. Van. From the south meadow rd to the leanto, there is just the one monster cherry that is easily skirted on the uphill side. Go upstream from the leanto a short distance to easily cross the brook (do not attempt to tightrope across the log as some snowshoers have done). The only troublesome areas are encountered very soon however in the thick stand of balsams/spruce just after the brook: 2 large blowdowns. if you're headed in tomorrow, perhaps you could clear a few branches here and there with a small axe or pruner to facilitate those detours - thick as dog hair in there! the uphill to Hi Notch is all clear - we made the first tracks there so it would help if it was skied (snowplowing down it today would have been tough).
While I'm at it, I'll give my report on the Klondike Notch trail from So. meadow to the leanto (broke trail on that yesterday): Pretty much great cover, except for a few hollows where the trail has eroded or there was some open drainage. However, the last 1/2 mile to the leanto has some small streams (6?) with open water that need to be sidestepped, one with especially steep banks. Worth the trip though! Trail from the leanto towards JBL had been broken out well by snowshoers.
reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
nutmeg creeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post

Oh - Nutmeg Creeker - you mean the renovations to the HPIC still aren't finished? Thought it was supposed to be "late December"!
They are still "in progress."
Old 02-02-2017, 08:37 AM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleskier View Post
Along similar lines, it's been a while since I've been on the Klondike Notch trail - was the bridge over South Meadow brook ever replaced? (The one that was only a few hundred yards from the parking area.) Any info would be appreciated!
Yes, the bridge has been replaced.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #7
tgoodwin

As of yesterday, the two trees across the brook from the lean-to have been cleared. If starting from the Loj, the crossing of Marcy Brook is tricky but definitely doable.
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:02 PM   #8
TCD

Old thread, but for info, I was up at Hi Notch today from the ski center side. Trail is packed as a snowshoe trail. Skiing is pretty poor; basically hard ice on the trail, firm crust off the trail.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote