Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2017, 12:09 PM   #41
Justin

Lyme from a deer fly

Here's a story from Massachusetts...
http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussi...-lymes-disease
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #42
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post

PS - Do you happen to have any more of a specific idea when the article was printed? I don't recall reading it, but plan to look through my back issues to see if I can find it.
Wow, you had to ask that question, didn't you?

I'll say 5-6 years ago and it was by Edward Kanze, I think. He contributes regularly with articles about specific animals. He has a house in/around Saranac Lake that he and his wife are rebuilding. He's also written a book about this and all the mice he's encountered in his older home.

As I recall, the article was on Deer Flies and only had one sentence about the ability of DFs to carry Lyme.
dundee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #43
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
That is one incredibly disheartening piece of news about which I was unaware. I sincerely hope the 'more info' they discover is that it is very hard and extremely rare for a deer fly to transmit lyme to people and/or animals if it is even truly possible at all. The thought of it being otherwise is not at all pleasant.
After I read that, I tried to verify it via google searches but I couldn't come up with anything that indicated it was proven. Only this (cut and paste)

-----------------
The CDC still maintains that deer flies don't transmit Lyme Disease.

A google search still shows up that one letter, NE J Med 1990 Jun 14; 322(24):1752, but now it's quoted by agencies: e.g.

"Deer flies and horse flies are also suspected of transmitting Lyme disease (New England Journal of Medicine 322:1752, 1990).

Lyme at CDC
-----------------
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:26 PM   #44
Scooter_Canoe

Those maps in the OP's article show only the NE of the US having a huge concentration, with some growing in Wisconsin and Minnesota. They stated some pockets in the West Coast, but by looking at the map you can draw a conclusion that it is heavily concentrated in the NE, centralized around NYC.

I have a co-worker who is into conspiracy theories and alternative new sources, but he brought up a one theory y around the how Lyme disease was actually created by the CDC in a lab on an island offshore of Long Island NY. In hearing this theory around the same time as this article i thought i'll share it with you.

The theory suggests that the CDC was performing experiments on Plum island, off the shores of Long Island. One of the experiment included what could have been the creation of Lyme disease. Well one day, the protocol must have been broken and an animal got out of the center and off the island. Now this island is only located a few miles from Lyme CT, which is the first place Lymes was first observed.

After seeing this concentration on the map and reading some of these articles, i am almost inclined to believe this one theory... Do you?

https://sites.newpaltz.edu/ticktalk/...randa-dumitru/
Scooter_Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #45
geogymn

https://identify.us.com/idmybug/tick...-virus-NY.html
Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #46
wiiawiwb

Be careful out there. Warnings are out about POW (Powassan virus) which is another tick-transmitted virus. It can cause inflammation of the brain and has been fatal in 10% of the cases. There are no medications to treat it.

http://www.nh1.com/news/experts-warn...ing-northeast/
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #47
JohnnyVirgil

- Avoid wooded and brushy areas

Well, that should be easy then...
Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #48
Buckladd

I treat my turkey hunting, wood cutting, hiking and gardening clothes with this stuff:

http://www.repel.com/products/person...hing-gear.aspx
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #49
TCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
After I read that, I tried to verify it via google searches but I couldn't come up with anything that indicated it was proven. Only this (cut and paste)

-----------------
The CDC still maintains that deer flies don't transmit Lyme Disease.

A google search still shows up that one letter, NE J Med 1990 Jun 14; 322(24):1752, but now it's quoted by agencies: e.g.

"Deer flies and horse flies are also suspected of transmitting Lyme disease (New England Journal of Medicine 322:1752, 1990).

Lyme at CDC
-----------------
After reading all this, I agree that its unlikely to get Lyme from a Deer Fly bite. (The CDC's opinion doesn't generally have much bearing on my opinion. They will adamantly hold a position until they are proven wrong a dozen times, and then "Oops! Never mind...")

What makes me doubt the story's conclusion is: 1. It's anecdotal; 2. There is no evidence that there was not a concurrent tick attachment; 3. Time delay to onset (of course that's a problem for all Lyme analyses); 4. Confounding with another infection; 5. The fact that this person probably spends a lot of time in the garden, and is therefore likely to have been exposed to ticks.

So we do the best we can. We are in the High Peaks, so we don't see too many ticks. Permethrin on clothing, DEET on skin, and vigilant tick checks are the program for now.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #50
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post

So we do the best we can. We are in the High Peaks, so we don't see too many ticks. Permethrin on clothing, DEET on skin, and vigilant tick checks are the program for now.
Has anyone ever bought the jug of concentrated permethrin they sell for controlling flies and other pests around barn yards and used it on their clothing? It seems a lot more economical to mix up a batch at the right ratio in a 5 gallon pail and dunk some clothes than it does to buy the spray on stuff. Thoughts?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #51
HH1

Here you go:
http://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/
HH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #52
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH1 View Post
Thank you sir!