Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Question for Twitchell Lake people:

If, any of you still visit this site. (other knowledgeable people welcome)

Does anyone know anything about the history of the old camp on the west side of the South Branch, straight across the river from the old east trail to Terror?
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
pondhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
hekki6
aspiring 46er

Don't know for sure, but you might be able to find ans. in book, "Big Moose Station", by William R. Marleau, who was a forest ranger in the area for around 40 years. In the book, he tells about the area from the beginning, and it is very concise, even to the first settlers,first buildings and camps, and much of the surrounding area , including much about Twitchell Lake and surrounding ponds and rivers, including Terror and it's first campers and buildings there. Book recently came back into print. Got mine at Hoss's Country Store in Long Lake, NY.Good luck, and the book is a great read!!!
hekki6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Thanks, hekki6!

I lost my copy of that book (along with some other personally valuable stuff) & can't remember, if it was mentioned in there. Dad & Bill were acquaintances & he's mentioned in the book & as a reference.
--"Pete You***?!, Pete You***'s grandson?!...That name is nearly sacred & uttered with awe in THIS house!" : The late Dr. Reed's wife, upon entering her house & being introduced- so to converse with her husband about the old days, a little before he died. The kind of greeting you'll never forget & reinforces your image of the hero you never met. --
Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
jbrown

Wow, Bill Marleau was my Great-Uncle! I remember reading his book when I was younger, but my mother owns that copy now and I don't have my own yet. It does have a great deal of historic information in it, especially about the camps in the area, so I'd be willing to bet that you'll find what you're looking for in it.
jbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
pondhopper
Have creel; will travel

Thanks for the suggestions. It's the old "Lonis Camp" site on pages 28 & 30 in the book recommended above. However, no dates of erection etc. & inferences are it was an old logging camp. Not the same as having a book signed by someone's Great-Uncle & father. but it'll do
Old 07-09-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
ADKhunter17

I know this is an old post, but i am quite familiar with the area north of twitchell lake however i have never seen this old camp you speak of. I am also quite interested in the loacation of this site as well as its history.
ADKhunter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
DaveO

Again, thank you for pointing me to a terrific book written by the person who lived it. "Big Moose Station" is obviously a labor of love by the author. It was easy to skim the minutiae of who married whom and who lived where when, and ignore the typos. The numerous collective oral stories interspersed throughout are fascinating, entertaining and informative. So interesting are the many stories that shed light on the customs, outlooks, and conflicts, based on various ethnic, immigrant, language, and religious groups, and their ways of recreating, interacting, and making a living.
DaveO is offline   Reply With Quote