Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
ADKian

Hiking partner

I know it's early yet, but I wanted to get things going and set early instead of doing a lot of last minute planning. I have had a couple PMs about interest in hiking the NPT but nothing set in stone. My company shuts down for the July 4th week so that week would be good for me, but I also could use vacation time for a week earlier or later in the season. Anyone interested let me know so we can get the ball rolling. Thanks.

Ian
ADKian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:06 AM   #2
sky
defender of newtbears

I'm looking to hike at the end of August. Five, maybe six days.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky View Post
I'm looking to hike at the end of August. Five, maybe six days.
The whole thing?
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKian View Post
The whole thing?
She keeps a fast pace!!
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
She keeps a fast pace!!
Haha I guess SO! That's why I had to ask lol. I like a little bit more of a slow pace. I like to take side trips and enjoy everything it has to offer.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
TBPDPTI

Early-mid July? Blackflies will be feasting-better you than me! :thumbsup:
High peaks: Summer: 46/46 (1st iteration); 26/46 (2nd); 8/46 (3rd); 3/46 (4th) Winter: 7/46 (1st); 0/46 (2nd) The other 56: Summer: 46/56(1st); 10/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 2/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPDPTI View Post
Yeah, they were pretty bad last year when I was on the first half around the same time. Kinda gotten used to them after living here my whole life. Not that they still don't annoy me most of them time. Have to take advantage of when I get time off from work, can't let bugs ruin my good time.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBPDPTI View Post
Early July, yeah. But if it is hot, (goodnews is) blackflies will wane by mid July, only to be replaced (badnews is) by hoards of relentless hungry deer flies. On the other hand, fast hiking is the best defense. I find that if I keep moving I can tolerate them, no trailside resting allowed.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
dpc34

I did notice that there were no blackflies around the last couple of days. Enjoy this time of the year without them.....
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
mikesill
adktroutchaser

Hiked 3/4 of NPT last year...only bugs to mention where the skeeters @ carry lean-to. That was June + July... there's no bugs in the daks :-)
mikesill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
sky
defender of newtbears

Quote:
The whole thing?
Yes. Whole thing. I don't get a lot of vacation time.

5-6 days is 20-25 miles a day, also known as "hike til I'm tired" and find a nice set of trees for my hammock.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #12
ADKian

A date of July 10th has been set for this hike if anyone else might be interested.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:

5-6 days is 20-25 miles a day, also known as "hike til I'm tired" and find a nice set of trees for my hammock.
thats some pace.... my best day was around 18 miles all in the rain and i was bushed
Quote:
A date of July 10th has been set for this hike if anyone else might be interested.
Hey, glad to see your back and planning.. hope you got some new gear and lessened the weight on that pack...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13

My Hiking Photos
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #14
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewseeker View Post
thats some pace.... my best day was around 18 miles all in the rain and i was bushed

Hey, glad to see your back and planning.. hope you got some new gear and lessened the weight on that pack...
Yes for sure! Got a new Osprey pack and lightweight gear all around. Hit the gym every day too so I stay in shape for it. I think I am much, much more prepared this time around. You want in for any of it? Would love to have you along.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

I'm planning a through-hike this year, but I'm a slow hiker - maybe do it in August or September.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #16
viewseeker
Wright 2-18-12

Quote:
Yes for sure! Got a new Osprey pack and lightweight gear all around. Hit the gym every day too so I stay in shape for it. I think I am much, much more prepared this time around. You want in for any of it? Would love to have you along.
its possible... depends on timing.. i can only do weekends so im looking to section hike the rest...
CL-50 #51
CATSKILLS 9/35
NPT--Complete 7-6-13

My Hiking Photos
viewseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #17
ADKian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
I'm planning a through-hike this year, but I'm a slow hiker - maybe do it in August or September.
We're planning to do it in 9-10 days, you thinking you're going to take longer? Nothing wrong with hiking slow, you get to see so much more!

Rob, see what you can do. We're doing it from North to South so I don't know if that even appeals to you? Even if you don't get out there for this one still let me know when you're going out on sections, I would like to finish what we started last year. I'm only about a day behind you right now, hopefully I can get caught up before you start.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #18
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

My plan is south to north, since my friends own a hostel in LP (Tmax&Topo) and could pick me up from the Chubb River or LP train station end of the trail. 10 days sounds about right.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:00 PM   #19
Petra

Quote:

Two years ago I did it in 8 days without rushing. Started early and ended early each day, keeping what I thought was a leisurely pace, and stayed at the lean-tos. If I didn't stay at lean-tos I would probably just keep going (next time I might avoid the lean-tos). The most I ever did was 33 miles in pouring rain with a sprained knee (I never did find any help and still I completed the thru-trail). That time I was very tired and discouraged. But when I look back, it was memorable.

I'm used to hiking alone, though I like to see people and wouldn't mind a partner who could keep up. This year I hope to be hiking in August but aside from a lake-hopping canoe circuit (in mid-August?), my plans are still vague.
Petra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
ADKian

Well Sunday is the big day. I can't believe it's almost here. If all goes as planned I should have a good trip report for the 20th.