Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Current and Historical Affairs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #1
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

APA approves Tupper Resort

http://www.northcountrypublicradio.o...d-condemnation

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 01-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Holy Cow!!!

I was not expecting a decision, just more delays.
I'm still on the fence about this, but for sure Tupper Lake can use the work, if local labor is used.
I suppose we'll know in 100 years or so if this was beneficial or detrimental...
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Will the new mega community have enough electricity to meet their needs?

(I guess so, with the power line that was run up the past few years to a dying community...am I the only one who sees a long range plan that was slipped past most people?)

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairrock View Post
Will the new mega community have enough electricity to meet their needs?

(I guess so, with the power line that was run up the past few years to a dying community...am I the only one who sees a long range plan that was slipped past most people?)
It's interesting how some of these things happen...
One of my business partners is extremely savvy.

It's been said that he has chess pieces in place 2 years before most people realize there is a game!!

Sounds like the same type of planning, to me.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
Buckshot

Has the Adirondack Club and Resort released the price range of the units they will be selling?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

APA Press release

http://apa.ny.gov/Press/pressrelease...sReleaseID=461

Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
oruacat2

The comments section of that first article is interesting.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
forest dweller

This is horrible. If it fails it will be a mess. If it succeeds it will be a mess. The result of an improved economy is higher demand for just about everything. That's a domino effect. It means growth and development - in a #$%^ing park known for it's pristine wilderness character. The APA, like the Democratic Party, has been corrupted.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
forest dweller

I just can't believe something like this happens and there is not more discussion and disgust about it at the adk forum. Does nobody want to touch this hot potato? Are we afraid to touch this hot potato around here?
Old 02-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
I just can't believe something like this happens and there is not more discussion and disgust about it at the adk forum. Does nobody want to touch this hot potato? Are we afraid to touch this hot potato around here?
We threw this hot potato around a couple of years ago, actually before that, when Kevin owned the forum.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #11
forest dweller

Yes redhawk, but now it has been approved and there may be little we can do about it but I feel like we're taking this "lying down". This is bad enough but if it sets a precedent and opens the door for more the Adirondacks may be in trouble. It makes me angry. And I'm not even sure it will do anything for the economy of Tupper Lake.

All I know is the state better be ready to balance this out FAST by purchasing what the Nature Conservancy has been holding for them and designating it WILDERNESS, regardless of what the crybaby regressives want. The land BORDERS wilderness - it IS wilderness.

This also makes me wish TNC didn't extend a fig leaf by reselling 70% of the land it purchased from Finch and Pruyn. I know they probably needed money but compromise is weakness to these people, and unappreciated.

It may seem rigid but it appears you can't give an inch to some people because they want a mile.

I just think they did this the wrong way. Tupper Lake is not Lake Placid - the town is a downright eyesore and money would have been better spent redeveloping older already developed areas, especially in and around the ski area.

Is there any place on the internet that this plan (scar) is laid out so I can get a look and see if I'm overreacting? I hope it's not as bad as I fear.

Last edited by forest dweller; 02-06-2012 at 06:59 AM..
Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

http://www.theadirondackclub.com/website/home.htm

They have a website. The property section is blang but I'm guessing the scope of the project isn't finalized.

It's far from a done deal.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
TCD

Reminder...this is private property. Your house is a scar on your property, shall we bulldoze it because there is some wilderness nearby?
Old 02-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Reminder...this is private property. Your house is a scar on your property, shall we bulldoze it because there is some wilderness nearby?
If your house is going to destroy the wilderness and effect other people Yes, why not?

As Spock would say, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" \/
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
TCD

Certainly a good point. I was also responding to the suggestion above (not yours) that any land which borders wilderness is wilderness. Obviously illogical - I could as easily say that any land that borders a strip mine should be strip mined.

To your point, though - certainly if the planned development of the private land is shown to damage neighboring state land, that should be prevented / mitigated. But that's what the 7 year (!) review process was about. In 7 years of searching, that problem was not found. Folks here are reacting as though this project was just proposed last week, and was approved "off the cuff" with no reviews.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
forest dweller

Quote:
I was also responding to the suggestion above (not yours) that any land which borders wilderness is wilderness. Obviously illogical - I could as easily say that any land that borders a strip mine should be strip mined.
The wildlife that roam the forest don't know the difference between wilderness and private property if there is no difference in the forest but who owns it.

And, with regards to your latter suggestion, I wonder if the wildlife in the boreal forest surrounding the tar sands strip mining in Alberta feel the same way?

Yeah, the difference is private property should not give you the right to do anything you want. Mankind goes way too far in the name of private property as far as I'm concerned.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #17
redhawk

Quote:
Certainly a good point. I was also responding to the suggestion above (not yours) that any land which borders wilderness is wilderness. Obviously illogical - I could as easily say that any land that borders a strip mine should be strip mined.

To your point, though - certainly if the planned development of the private land is shown to damage neighboring state land, that should be prevented / mitigated. But that's what the 7 year (!) review process was about. In 7 years of searching, that problem was not found. Folks here are reacting as though this project was just proposed last week, and was approved "off the cuff" with no reviews.
I think I beg to diuffer aboput no problem being found. If I remember right there was/is a huge concerns about the effect of the runoff on the lake and the long term damage it will do.

In spite of that, because of the economy the wh**es allowed politics to be the deciding factopr and not the facts.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #18
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Sounds more like an opinion to me.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #19
forest dweller

Yeah, definitely not your father's APA.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest dweller View Post
Yes redhawk, but now it has been approved and there may be little we can do about it but I feel like we're taking this "lying down". This is bad enough but if it sets a precedent and opens the door for more the Adirondacks may be in trouble. It makes me angry. And I'm not even sure it will do anything for the economy of Tupper Lake.

All I know is the state better be ready to balance this out FAST by purchasing what the Nature Conservancy has been holding for them and designating it WILDERNESS, regardless of what the crybaby regressives want. The land BORDERS wilderness - it IS wilderness.

I just think they did this the wrong way. Tupper Lake is not Lake Placid - the town is a downright eyesore and money would have been better spent redeveloping older already developed areas, especially in and around the ski area.
After 7+ years of review nobody is taking anything "lying down". Seems you got to the party very late, in fact, after it was over. Should you have had real concerns about this project you would have discovered it long ago and not after the fact, and not on a discussion forum. Your plattitudes may comfort you, but in reality if you had the concern you express you would have known about this long ago, and might have been able to voice your opinion at a time when it was relevant and constructive instead of besmirching the process and the people who participated in it.

Additionally, I find your comments about the 'eyesore' the community of Tupper Lake is to be offensive. That town is a home to many people, and some of those families have lived there for generations. Just because they aren't financially able to give the town a facelift to comply with what others think is appropriate doesn't give anyone the right to condemn the community as an "eyesore". You should walk a mile in thier shoes before you make a blanket statement about the quality of the place those folks call home. I bet most of them would be less than impressed with your characterization.

Quote:
+1

Last edited by Commissionpoint; 02-07-2012 at 12:59 PM..
Closed Thread