Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #61
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
Any updates from the west/old forge/inlet area?

I didn't make it up this past weekend due to a nasty cold but I'm hoping to make it up this weekend. I'm hoping you guys didn't lose too much over the weekend (down south we had rain). Also looks like maybe 2-3" on Wednesday.
4" in my walkway when I returned on Sun. Based on what some are predicting it will only get better.

Thanks for the Gooley report NC. That opens up a second option for this coming weekend
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:05 PM   #62
Alpine1

Skied the Big Otter Truck Trail again this afternoon. 8 to 10 inches of new snow. The previous track was hard to see in places. Snow conditions are tough, I only made it two miles before calling it a day. Hey Bill I. How about bringing some of your friends this way and finish breaking trail to Middle Branch

Anyone interested in skiing to Pine Lake in the Essex Chain/Gooley/Indian Lake area on Saturday? it's approx 4 miles one way on a nice road...assuming no one has been in since the recent snow it'll be a better ski with a group of more than 2.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #63
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine1 View Post
Snow conditions are tough, I only made it two miles before calling it a day.
Maybe you should hit Moss Lake. It's only 2.5 miles in a loop

If it is that tough I doubt I'll have enough zip to do Moss and Cascade in one day.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #64
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
Maybe you should hit Moss Lake. It's only 2.5 miles in a loop

If it is that tough I doubt I'll have enough zip to do Moss and Cascade in one day.
Or you could wait a bit and vulture our trail Saturday

Today's return leg has a long awesome downhill section....not today.
I suspect conditions will be similar all over the north country until this stuff settles a bit.
Old 02-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #65
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Quote:
Or you could wait a bit and vulture our trail Saturday
I was hoping to vulture what you'd break tomorrow

Well if breaking trail is that bad there is always Fern Park or BREIA. I'm going to stay in the west.

Honestly I could stay home... we have a ton of good snow here. Might have to get the headlamp out after work.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:37 PM   #66
Telemarkmike

Siamese Ponds Trail from 11th Mountain - 2/7/14

Perfect ski conditions today. I parked at the 11th mountain trailhead on Route 8 near Johnsburg and skied in past the lean-to and a little ways beyond. 9.5 miles total for the day.

I broke trail (well my dog Rev actually), but I did an out and back so it is nicely packed down now. I put on skins to climb the initial hill. Once over and down the hill, the trail follows the Sacandaga River and is mostly flat.

Good to be out on skis again! That area got 12-15" of snow from the storm on Wednesday.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:09 PM   #67
Telemarkmike

Pine Lake - Chain Lakes - 2/8/14

Leesa and I skied today with Alpine1 to Pine Lake in the Chain Lakes area. Another day of great snow conditions. The road to the summer parking lot was not plowed adding another 3 miles or so onto our skiing. We had to ski in snowmobile tracks until we got to the summer trailhead at the gate.

We got on the trail at 9:30. One person was ahead of he and we soon overtook him. We broke trail the rest of the way but the snow was light and fluffy. Fun coming out (until the snowmobile tracks again).

12.4 miles roundtrip and about a 1000 vertical. A good workout. The weather turned out to be great all day with bluebird skies and 20 degrees.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #68
Alpine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telemarkmike View Post
Leesa and I skied today with Alpine1 to Pine Lake in the Chain Lakes area. Another day of great snow conditions. The road to the summer parking lot was not plowed adding another 3 miles or so onto our skiing. We had to ski in snowmobile tracks until we got to the summer trailhead at the gate.

We got on the trail at 9:30. One person was ahead of he and we soon overtook him. We broke trail the rest of the way but the snow was light and fluffy. Fun coming out (until the snowmobile tracks again).

12.4 miles roundtrip and about a 1000 vertical. A good workout. The weather turned out to be great all day with bluebird skies and 20 degrees.

Not much to add other than the road see LOTS of sun. IMO this ski is best done on cold or cloudy days. Any of you skiers who prefer off track skiing you'd best check out this ski, It's a real Adirondack gem.
Nice skiing with you guys today, hope to hook up again real soon.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #69
Telemarkmike

Quote:
Nice skiing with you guys today, hope to hook up again real soon.
Likewise
Old 02-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #70
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Not ADK's but Taconics, excellent BC skiing on trails, and in the trees. A great day to be outside.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #71
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Skied BREIA at Jackson Hill for the first time today. Again not in the ADKs but an awesome place. I had a great time and the snow was great. It isn't really backcountry but the majority of people I saw were on BC skis and being in the tracks there isn't much different than being in broken out BC trails. At any rate, I'll be going back.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #72
Wldrns

I solo skied untracked southern Tug Hill forests today, just a couple of miles north of portions of BREIA trails. About 10 inches of fresh snow on top of a fragile crust, which is on top of a foot plus of more fluff.

Good thing this is not avalanche country, as I often heard and felt large sections of the crust collapse under me with a thumping sound, on gentle slopes, and even on the flats. There is not much to bind the soft layers and crust sandwich together. Breaking trail was not much different than if I would be snowshoeing, but the return trip on my own tracks was fast for a single track.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #73
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Any word on the snow conditions near Old Forge/Inlet? Planning on heading up there at some point this weekend, preferably Sunday. I'm leaning toward Cascade Lake loop (my wife gave it the OK).
Old 03-26-2014, 07:52 PM   #74
nutmeg creeker

Skied today on the Stephens Pond trail portion of the NPT from the Lake Durant Campground. Four to five inches of untouched powder on top of what must have been broken out about a week ago. Beautiful conditions, excellent snow, probably 2 to 2.5 feet of snow buildup. Cold and EXTREMELY windy. No One else out today.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:56 PM   #75
Bob K

Barton Mine Rd & up towards Gore 4-5-14

It was skiing but not quality skiing. Headed east then uphill where Raym’d brook descends. Frozen granular surface without hardpack. Rain/freezing rain/wind Fri night had stopped but lots of blowdown made going up slow. Put the skins on even before the split. Still 15-22” of snow but somewhat glazed surface and mushy underneath.

Periodic spontaneous sinking of one ski 8-15" made for an exciting descent after the surface warmed a bit. Tough getting much control on the downhills as I skidded across the slick surface (better than sinking). Getting up from the few falls was like being surrounded by BBs. The wide BC skis helped but it was a workout. I'm glad I wore my helmet.

If you go tomorrow, I recommend a trail that gets more use (packed) with the hope of not sinking. Wide skis recommended. It was quite a tiring day for Betty after the first 30 minutes with lots of paw sinking.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #76
Telemarkmike

Bob - Great spot, but conditions are getting tricky for sure!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:30 AM   #77
MaximusFunk24

Any snow anywhere? I just came across some Hok skis that I am itching to try out. I would be up to driving 3 hrs in any direction from Plattsburgh for some good snow conditions that wouldn't ruin my bases.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #78
Buckshot

Tucks

Someone posted pics on my facebook from Tuckerman's last Thursday. It looked real nice...
Old 11-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #79
TCD

New Season!

After the brief brush with winter back in October, we had a wonderful Indian Summer (60 and sunny, rock climbing in T shirts yesterday).

Now it looks like winter is here in earnest. 31 and snowing here in Keene at 1800'; about 4" on the deck railing, more coming today and tonight. Should be a little warmer and sloppy at the end of the week, so this may get us a good start on a base.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:56 PM   #80
TCD

Well now I have about 10" of beautiful powder here. Skied at Van Ho today - 12"-14" of fresh, trails groomed, like mid-winter. Sweet.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote