Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
MaximusFunk24

overnight parking in rest area pull offs

Anyone know if it is legal in NY to park overnight in rest areas while you are off camping? some of them would make excellent boat launching spots, except that I am weary of getting a ticket
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Vinegar

Unattended vehicles will be towed per policy... I don't know specifically how long "unattended" means. Park & Ride lot maximum is 16 hours. Troopers do regularly patrol the rest areas. Can't hurt to call the zone where you're planning to go and ask, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I assume you're talking about I-87, and I don't know if there's a difference between the newly rechristened "text stop" pulloffs and the rest areas with more facilities.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:45 PM   #3
MaximusFunk24

specifically I was referring to the pull-offs on rt 30 adjacent to Tupper Lake, but there have been several other locations I have passed thinking "this is much more convenient than the boat launch"

Thanks for the info though, I dont think I'll risk it if there is a chance of being towed.
MaximusFunk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:30 PM   #4
BillyGr

Since you appear to be talking about ones on a "regular" road (Route 30) as opposed to the person above who was thinking about the ones on the Interstates, the question is:

What is the difference between these "pull offs" and any number of similar spots that most people would call "trailheads" on a road (like 73, 9N or similar) where people park to go hiking, some for more than just a day? Doesn't seem like too much, but maybe there is?
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Excellent question and I have been wondering this myself. Would my car be at risk of being towed if I parked on any of the pull-offs on the major routes in the Park for a night or two or should I always park at a trailhead?
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:57 PM   #6
Vinegar

Yes, sorry I just assumed you meant Interstate rest areas.

I'm with BillyGr, it's hard to see a distinction. My personal concern would be law enforcement being concerned about cars parked overnight in "unusual" places, and I would call the town/village to ask more specifically and possibly give a heads up.
Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:55 PM   #7
Redbeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Fox View Post
Excellent question and I have been wondering this myself. Would my car be at risk of being towed if I parked on any of the pull-offs on the major routes in the Park for a night or two or should I always park at a trailhead?
Can't comment on the legality of parking the car on the side of the road (73 specifically) but I may have parked/slept in the car to catch a PHENOMENAL sunrise atop of Cascade one time.
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote