Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
dundee

New section open?

According to the NP site, the new section is open. Has anyone done it yet? Distance?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
Justin

Some new info over on the Adirondack Almanac:

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...tml#more-55909
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:48 AM   #3
Troy64

A couple more links...

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/103425.html

http://www.nptrail.org/?p=969
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
dundee

Thanks, just what I needed.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #5
Riosacandaga
soggy

Yes. Last I did it the trail up to Mud Pond was hard to follow but it wasn't marked yet and there were a lot of leaves down. Nice bridge work over a stream. And there is no bridge over Stony Creek... at least when I last was there. Good trail work. Very pleasant.
Riosacandaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
According to the NP site, the new section is open. Has anyone done it yet? Distance?
Hiked it this past weekend.
The sign at the trailhead on Collins Gifford Valley Rd says 8.6 miles to Benson Rd. Very nice trail, and an easy ford of West Stony Creek in low water.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
MrKawfey

Does anyone know if there are camp sites available on woods lake. I would like to complete the section between Godfrey road and Northville, but it would be more enjoyable as an overnight. Or can you guys suggest other stops around the halfway point. It's not crucial, but I would prefer to stay under ten miles for the longer day.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 AM   #8
MrKawfey

Ok, sorry I just noticed the tent icon on the topo map posted in one of the links above. Looks like there is camping at woods lake.

Follow up though, has anyone been there to see if there are multiple sites? How nice are the sites?
Old 10-01-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
DuctTape
Out of Shape

The area along woods lake is quite open. Many established fire rings.

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #10
MrKawfey

Follow up, does anyone remember if there is a campsite near the old trailhead parking area at the southern end. When we finished the trail a few years ago I seem to remember seeing something (maybe an outhouse or fire ring) near where the main trail and the spur trail (that takes you to the parking area) split. Also, my memory tells me there was a small river/large creek in this area.

We are going to hike the new sections in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about starting with a camp out so that we can hit the trail first thing in the a.m. Although making breakfast and breaking camp might take longer than the drive from my house to the trailhead.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Tick Magnet

I've been through that area a couple times this year. The campsites on Woods Lake are large and heavily impacted. They're only about a quarter mile from Benson Rd. The views are tremendous (photo 1).

There is still a large campsite about a mile from the old Godfrey Rd. trailhead (photo 2/3). It's visible across the creek from the NPT shortly after you cross Notch Brook on a skinny bridge. You can rock hop to the large campsite (with outhouse) in low water (photo 4). If the creek is too high, there a nice bridge less than half a mile upstream (photo 5).

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4b WL - Copy.JPG (128.9 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg 1e Campsite - Copy.JPG (130.7 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg NPT1j - Copy.JPG (140.4 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 1g1 NB W Stony Cr.JPG (126.5 KB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg NPT2c1.jpg (84.6 KB, 151 views)
Old 10-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

When I did the NPT a few years ago (before the new section was open) I just walked a few hundred feet into the woods at the old parking area and found a flat spot to camp. There are a few no-camping signs closer to the parking area, but if you just keep going further into the woods, it isn't hard to find a flat, legal site to pitch a tent for a night.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
skiergirl81

May 15, 2016 hike

We hiked the new trail from the Collins-Gifford Valley Rd Trail Head to the Benson Rd parking area on May 15. The cold weather made for nice hiking except for when we had to cross West Stony Creek. We crossed pretty much in line with the trail markers on either side and the water was about 18 inches deep at most there. The rocks were very slippery though so hiking sticks and patience were very helpful. Most of us in the group crossed barefoot and rolled up our pants so that we could keep our shoes, socks, and pants dry. (The planned bridge for West Stony Creek will certainly make this section easier even if it takes away from some of the adventure).
The 8.6 miles from parking area to parking area is fairly accurate. It took us about 6.5 hours to complete it but we did take a good number of short breaks along the way and a long break after crossing West Stony Creek.
After we left the Benson Rd parking area, I realized that we didn't see a trail register at that end of the trail. Does anyone know if we just missed it?
skiergirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
Rivet
Likes to hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiergirl81 View Post
After we left the Benson Rd parking area, I realized that we didn't see a trail register at that end of the trail. Does anyone know if we just missed it?
It's on the other side if you continue north.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #15
Justin

Hello Skiergirl!
I think I saw your post & photos on facebook, and it looked like a fun time!
Thanks for sharing, and welcome to Adkforum.
Some friends & I hiked that sectioned last fall...and even though the water was not very high then, a pair of lightweight Crocs are never a bad idea to pack along for similar situations.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #16
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Ditto on the crocs. They make great stream crossing shoes, and great (low impact) camp shoes as well. I usually have a pair strapped to my pack on most backpacking trips.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:36 PM   #17
gearhead

I just completed my thru hike on may 23rd. I used the zero sandal and they worked great as camp shoes plus the weigh around 11 oz a pair. I only saw two campsites on woods lake as I passed by and hung my hammock at a primitive site. I thought that the first section of trail was uphill most of the hike. You will notice a real change in the forest as you enter silver lake wilderness.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote