Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Current Affairs and Environmental Issues > Current and Historical Affairs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2015, 02:21 PM   #1
Hobbitling
spring fever

Keg party on Phelps

some of you, by now, have probably seen the infamous photos taken on phelps this weekend. They've been circulating on facebook and other places, after they were publicly posted on the group "Aspiring Adirondack 46ers".

They show what appears to be a keg party (yes, complete with a full sized keg (correction: some kind of mini keg) that someone carried all the way up), on the top of Phelps. I'm curious what you all think of this?

here are the pictures, with faces blurred, although they posted these photos publicly.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg phelps1.jpg (157 Bytes, 333 views)
File Type: jpg Phelps3.jpg (157 Bytes, 322 views)

Last edited by Hobbitling; 10-12-2015 at 06:13 PM..
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I'm outraged that I wasn't invited lol.
Just kidding of course, but as long as they didn't litter and didn't break any regulations, I wouldn't be upset over it. Looks like a quarter keg to me, not a full sized keg. Maybe it was somoene's birthday, or bachalor party, or similar.
I've seen lots of crazy people in the High Peaks region.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #3
Troy64

It looks like a 5 gallon soda type keg.
Troy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
rdl

If they're all of legal drinking age, and didn't break any regs then I have no problem with what went on.

I've taken adult beverages to the summit of many mountains. I've also seen Phelps more crowded than in this picture and others I've seen of the same event. Personally I lump this in with any other organized event that gets many people on ADK summits -- just another indicator of the overuse of the High Peaks area.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

That keg looks a little crooked...it would have been better on a flatter surface, Tabletop maybe!??
Old 10-13-2015, 06:25 AM   #6
geogymn

Didn't realize that there are kids out there that are still willing to exercise! There is hope yet!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:43 AM   #7
Neil
Kayak-46

All the riff-raff stays in the High Peaks so guys like Justin can have the Southern Dix Wilderness all to himself. (until someone goes and spoils it with a guide book and trails )
Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
All the riff-raff stays in the High Peaks so guys like Justin can have the Southern Dix Wilderness all to himself. (until someone goes and spoils it with a guide book and trails )
Unfortunately, I didn't see any keg parties up on Nippletop Mountain yesterday.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:03 AM   #9
RichieC

Good for them!

At the price of deposit and tap, they no doubt packed it all out... And all is thus recycled, A more positive overall impact then disposable water bottles. After that climb up, and the climb back down, labeling it as a "Keg Party" rather then "A hard working and industrious group, enjoying a well deserved special mountain top brew" is an attempt label it.

We should all work that hard for a draft!
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Trail Boss

I don't know any of the details beyond what I see in the attached photo. All I can say is that it looks rambunctious and loud which is not extraordinary behavior for celebrants.

Would their partying have disturbed me? Probably. Especially if they weren't offering samples from the keg to properly toast the occasion.

It'd be nice if folks kept the noise down to conversation level on summits but, especially for popular peaks, that's asking a lot from human nature.

If there were any DEC regulations violated, we're free to be unhappy about it but only the Rangers can legally address it.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:13 PM   #11
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC View Post
Good for them!
Looks like the DEC saw things differently.
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...on-phelps.html
Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #12
Harvey44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Looks like the DEC saw things differently.
http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...on-phelps.html
Link isn't working?

EDIT:

http://www.adirondackexplorer.org/ou...arty-on-phelps
Old 10-14-2015, 05:20 AM   #13
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
Peer pressure... nobody wants to be the first to say flat out how immature this behavior was, completely inappropriate given the location. I feel a bit ashamed that I kept my mouth shut.

The comments in the article by Brian Hoody and Neil Woodworth say it all.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #14
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
Peer pressure... nobody wants to be the first to say flat out how immature this behavior was, completely inappropriate given the location. I feel a bit ashamed that I kept my mouth shut.

The comments in the article by Brian Hoody and Neil Woodworth say it all.
I don't know? The attraction of a party might have lured future wilderness protectors to discover the magic of a mountain top. Plus some of the finest people are those that are seeking redemption for some past sin. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #15
montcalm
Mobster

I think this goes to show how silly the rules are sometimes.

You can't burn a piece of paper in your campfire but you can have parties that disrupt other's enjoyment of the wilderness (see other threads on such instances as well).

The ranger got them on another technicality, but I'm thinking he/she used that to nail them for we all want to nail them for.

I'm not perfect, but I agree it does seem immature and disrespectful.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
The ranger got them on another technicality, but I'm thinking he/she used that to nail them for we all want to nail them for.
For having a keg of Bud Light perhaps?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:17 AM   #17
Holdstrong

You want to have a few friends meet you on the summit, have a quiet celebration, maybe drink a few beers that one of them carried in, maybe a bottle of wine, champagne even... congrats and good for you.

But a keg party, complete with keg stands... on the summit of a mountain, in the forever wild high peaks...

It is over the top, completely inappropriate and Embarrassing.

The antithesis of everything I would hope to experience when in the mountains.

I'm hoping that those were just staged shots to be goofy for the camera, and that their celebration really wasn't a frat party
Holdstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 AM   #18
Trail Boss

Well, there you go, a DEC regulation (max group size) was violated and the DEC addressed it. Done and done.

The Adirondack Explorer's article does not provide details about the party beyond labeling it a "keg party" (and all that that implies). Again, all that I can conclude from the image above was that it was probably loud with shouting and laughter. Annoying to non-celebrants? Very likely. Illegal? Not to my knowledge (but I don't know all the regulations).

Perhaps a loud and rambunctious party is not illegal, but it touches on something I had called (elsewhere) "conduct unbecoming a 46er".

The ADK 46ers organization supports the seven principles of Leave No Trace.
http://adk46er.org/our-background.html

Brian Hoody said "... this kind of behavior is certainly inconsistent with the character and respect for the mountains that I expect of a 46er". I assume he suggested Mr Bhatt and his group failed to respect LNT principle #7:

Be Considerate of Other Visitors
Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience.
• Be courteous. Yield to other users on the trail.
• Step to the downhill side of the trail when encountering pack stock.
• Take breaks and camp away from trails and other visitors.
Let nature's sounds prevail. Avoid loud voices and noises.

Moral of the story: Planning a big raucous 46er party? Hold it in town and not on your final peak.

PS
I've witnessed and participated in small and reasonably quiet celebrations on summits so it's not like it's an impossible goal.

Last edited by Trail Boss; 10-14-2015 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Typo.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:13 PM   #19
rdl

Quote:
It is over the top, completely inappropriate and Embarrassing.
Would the outrage be any less if each participant had carried a 6 pack, rather than the group having a keg ?

Quote:
this kind of behavior is certainly inconsistent with the character and respect for the mountains that I expect of a 46er
Everyone has different expectations. And the celebrant may not even become a member of the ADK46r organization, so any values that are expected from a 46r member may not apply.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:22 PM   #20
Harvey44

High Peaks summits are popular tourist attractions. That has a lot of implications including that they are especially crowded at times when people are off... weekends, holidays etc.

If NY wants a certain kind of behavior there, they're going to have to legislate and enforce. Those spots aren't exactly easy to reach and certainly can be dangerous, but for me backcountry is more than that.