Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack History and Folklore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

1867 Map of the Adirondacks

I stumbled across this map today, and I thought others hear would probably find it intersting: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...olton-1867.jpg

Some things I've noticed so far-

Pharaoh Lake Wilderness: Pharaoh Mountain seems to be named "Mount Parasol." Gooseneck Pond is Name Crookneck Pond. Not sure what they mean by "Lizards Pond;" my guess is that is supposed to be Springhill Ponds. Pyramid Pond is mistakenly shown as draining into Alder Brook. Eagle Lake is called Long Pond.

The Lake George Area is susprisingly blank, I would've thought that this area would be well mapped by 1867.

High Peaks area: The High Peaks are a vague mishmash of peaks. Marcy is there, Colden is named Mt. Martin, and Algonquin is named Mt. McIntyre. The name "Harkness Lake" seems to be attributed to the modern day "Lake Andrew." Elk Lake is called Mud Pond.

In the Paul Smith's area, Lower St. Regis Lake is called Follesnbee Pond.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Justin

Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
montcalm
Mobster

The Beaver river, Bog Lake and Cranberry Lake are not shown in their flooded states. In fact Stillwater is altogether absent.

Lake Lila is called Smith Lake and the Mohawk and Malone Rail is absent (not built yet).
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Too cool!!
Look at the sizes of Cranberry and Indian Lakes!!
Sacandaga Reservoir? Cedar River Flow? Lewey Lake?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I notice that Moss Lake is labeled Moose Lake. I wonder if it is a mistake or if the lake actually changed names?
Old 03-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Also, if I read the map correctly, it looks like Seward and Colden are both shown as being over 5,000 feet in elevation?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 AM   #7
John H Swanson

thanks for sharing. Lots of tidbits line Santanoni=Sandanona And the roads are quite interesting. Where they are and where they aren't.
John H Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 AM   #8
MTVhike

I just downloaded the map - very interesting. It shows the "Adirondack Railroad" along the Hudson River; however the named part ends just north of Luzerne. North of that, it's labeled "RR Route", and that ends at Lower Works. If I remember my history right, that portion wasn't constructed until the
1940s! I guess there were plans to serve the Tahawus mine in the 19th century. I wonder how the economics of that mine would have changed if the railroad had been completed in the 19th century.
By the way, if you want to print it at its stated scale, it is about 50 x 28 inches!
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #9
MTVhike

I thought I would extend this thread and mention the availability of USGS Historical Topographic maps. The link is: http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/
This is a very interesting mapping site, but it does not include the 1867 map in this thread (I'm not sure if the USGS even existed then). When you go to this web site, you will be asked to enter a location. If, for example, you enter "Kaaterskill Falls", a map will show which includes that feature. Click on any part of the map, and at the bottom of the screen, a timeline showing all the maps available, including their name, scale and date. For the example I have given, there are 15' quadrangles available named Kaaterskill Falls, NY for 1892, 1893, 1894, 1899, and 1903. For 7.5 minute quadrangles, there are maps with similar names for 1946, 1980, and 1997. There are smaller scale versions covering the same area also listed.
Select one of them, and it appears as an overlay over the base map. There is a little transparency slider bar so you can make it more transparent letting the base map show through. If you load more than one year, you can compare different revisions using the same transparency slider.
MTVhike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
tgoodwin

A very interesting map before the Adirondacks were "discovered" for recreation. I noted that Goodnow Mt. was originally "Goodwin Mt." Now who authorized that change?
tgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:36 AM   #11
geogymn

The feeder canal from Forestport to Boonville is shown to be on the North side of the river. I think that is incorrect as the terrain won't support this entry.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #12
Daves41

MTVhike, The USGS historical map link is very cool.Thanks
Daves41 is offline   Reply With Quote