Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #1
JohnnyMac

Columbus Day Weekend Paddling?

Greetings,

I know the High Peak trails are quite busy on ColumbusDay/Canada's Thanksgiving weekend.

What's your experience been with paddling destinations on this weekend?

Thanks.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It probably depends on where, and what the weather is. Destinations like Lows Lake, Lake Lila, and Little Tupper have seen a lot of increased interest and use in recent years, and I'm sure they'll be plenty busy this weekend (at least in the vicinity of the access points). As with hiking, if you want solitude during the holiday weekend, you'd probably be better off picking an itinerary that gets you into more remote terrain.

If it's a gross, drizzly/rainy weekend, I would imagine that paddling traffic would probably diminish at least slighty more so than hiking traffic, due to the exposure of being in an open boat on a lake.

Ideas that come to mind include the upper reaches of the Oswegatchie, or one of the more remote ponds in the St. Regis Canoe area that is several portages in from the nearest access point. You might also try the back end of Lows Lake or Little Tupper, but if the weather is nice all weekend, even these spots could be busy.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #3
snapper
snapper

I was originally planning to be paddling on Lake George this weekend, putting in at Hullets Landing but the forecast for the weekend into next week is now going to keep us away. The wind is predicted to be out of the north/northwest running from 10-15 mph when we were slated to take off on Sunday. On that part of the lake those conditions lead to some pretty serious waves; and there's no place to hide (i.e. islands) until you get down at least 3 miles. For that reason we're dropping back and doing a land based trip instead.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:54 PM   #4
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Columbus Day Weekend Paddling?

The area around the oswegachie is in a extended drought. The lakes are all low. I would check with local forest ranger before venturing out. Cranberry is down over 2 feet but still an excellent choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a dog runs at you,whistle for him.
Henry David Thoreau

CL50-#23
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

For what it's worth, I was camping on St Regis pond last weekend. The forecast was terrible...
Many sites on St Regis were taken, but still some were empty on Saturday. We saw 4 parties camping on Little Long Pond as well!

Last edited by stripperguy; 10-07-2016 at 07:39 AM..
stripperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #6
Buckladd

A buddy and I may paddle the Schroon between Exits 23 & 24, likely Sunday.

I don't think the forecast is all that bad:
https://weather.com/weather/5day/l/USNY1515:1:US
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
coldfeet

AMC trip

I'm going up with the NY/NJ AMC club this weekend. It is their 21st year going up there for the foliage. Car camping at Fish Creek, can't wait! Little chilly Sunday night, heard the foliage is peaking right now, go!
coldfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Swamp Booger

My wife and I will be camped at Lewey Lake, site #111 this weekend. I plan to paddle and fish a trout pond Sat am. Any fellow forum members who may also be camping at Lewey Lake are welcome to stop by and intro yourself! I may have a strange user name, but don't let that scare you away!
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
snapper
snapper

Coldfeet - If you see this in time, the forecast for the Utica area is for frost on Sunday morning so I'm sure you'll definitely see chilly temps at Fish Creek. Be sure to pack your woolies and maybe an extra quilt; at least for your wife!

Until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Booger View Post
My wife and I will be camped at Lewey Lake, site #111 this weekend. I plan to paddle and fish a trout pond Sat am. Any fellow forum members who may also be camping at Lewey Lake are welcome to stop by and intro yourself! I may have a strange user name, but don't let that scare you away!
We were on 107 a month ago! 'Wish I could make it up.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:48 PM   #11
coldfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper View Post
Coldfeet - If you see this in time, the forecast for the Utica area is for frost on Sunday morning so I'm sure you'll definitely see chilly temps at Fish Creek. Be sure to pack your woolies and maybe an extra quilt; at least for your wife!

Until next time...be well.

snapper
Shhh! Don't tell her but I packed her rain boots and my hot tent set up! Whoo hoo!

Last year I gave her my 5f bag and will do that again. My friend Watersypder is setting up my Eureka family tent today and we will leave around 2:30 tomorrow morning. My hot tent is an old canvas Sears type that I had a stove jack sewn it. Picked up a small kni-co wood stove. Think I will set it up as a warming tent for those to sit inside for some early warmth. Reminded me just now to grab some poles. thanks
Old 10-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #12
nyestreet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Booger View Post
Just saw this post other wise would've stopped by. I was at site 139. I paddled Sand Lake Friday, the glasslike surface mirrored foliage brilliantly, Lewey Lake Sunday morning. A little windy but managable. Sorry I missed you. How was the fishing?
nyestreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Four of us will head up to Little Tupper this weekend (15-17). Haven't been camping much this year, so I'm looking forward to this, even if it's cold and past-peak.
Although I've camped there a few times, it's always been just 1 night as part of the Lila-Lows traverse. This time we'll spent 2 nights and come back out. Any particular sites we should head for?

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #14
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyestreet View Post
Just saw this post other wise would've stopped by. I was at site 139. I paddled Sand Lake Friday, the glasslike surface mirrored foliage brilliantly, Lewey Lake Sunday morning. A little windy but managable. Sorry I missed you. How was the fishing?
I'm sorry too that we missed each other. I had the trout pond all to myself Sat am, but alas, the fish didn't cooperate. Oh well, I had a nice time trying.
Friday was indeed a really nice day. Having gotten to Lewey about 1pm, I took our dog out for a short paddle before my wife arrived (She had to work Friday, so came up in the evening). That ended up being our only paddle on Lewey, as we just couldn't get excited about going out in the wind and cold temps.
My pictures:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:00 PM   #15
Swamp Booger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALGonquin Bob View Post
Any particular sites we should head for?
A couple of years ago my wife and I camped on site #11, and really enjoyed it. Has a nice beach, and sits up above the water level with a nice open view of the lake. Might not be so nice though if a cold wind is blowing.
My notes indicate that sites 10 and 12 are also nice with beaches, but are more private as the sites sit back off the water a bit.
My pictures:
Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #16
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Bob,
I've stayed on 12, 13, 14...I most liked #12. #'s 11 and 10 also have great beaches. Camp Bliss is also nice, especially for morning sun, lots of firewood nearby.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #17
ALGonquin Bob

Thanks, much appreciated; I'll write a report next week.

46er #5357W
Old 10-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #18
coldfeet

Wife was happy with hot tent!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot tent ADK.JPG (49.0 KB, 71 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #19
ALGonquin Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
Wife was happy with hot tent!
Very comfy, David! The best I can do is my big old tent (similar to yours) and a propane catalytic heater.

46er #5357W
Old 10-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #20
coldfeet

Bob, I picked up that tent last year off Craigs list for app $50 if I recall. Needs to have zipper repaired but my sister can help with that. Then I was introduced to wintertrekking.com and oh boy, what cool toys they have up north! Picked up a small kni-co wood stove plus a stove jack to have sewn in. Probably cost app $175 for both. Many people who are talented (or have friends with talent) make their own gear. So for now it's fun. Did take it out to 8th lake last spring in a tandem canoe that I paddled a short distance carefully. Old tent takes up a lot of space. They have some cool tents out there, snowtrekker is a common one. Might have to sell a boat to buy a used one! Just trying to keep on having fun! Meanwhile, the summer drought has lowered the streams and rivers down here. Might go to NJ in November to play around. But there is always the BIG water to play on in kayaks soon. Just want to still practice paddling a canoe. Be well. Will keep in touch.
PS, that tent of mine is a pain in the arse setting up by myself. The old tubes slide out sometimes while I'm putting it up. Thought about drilling pin holes through it with cotter pins to attach the poles. Any suggestions? Thanks