Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Rich Lockwood

cedarlands scout camp?

Is cedarlands still open for canoeing/camping after and before summer session?
Thanks, Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #2
Wldrns

The rules of the easement are still in place. the Easement lands surrounding the 300 acre core camp are open for public use, outside of June-August even though it is no longer used as a scout camp. However, camping is not yet permitted on easement lands. Day use only. The DEC will be working to establish campsites.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-20-2016 at 05:09 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
electbc
Outdoorsman

let's pool our money and we can buy it.
http://www.fountainsland.com/propertyDesc.aspx?Id=454
What a shame that scouting has to sell off their camps due to lagging use and membership. My summer camp was Curtis S Read over in Brant Lake, we used to outpost on lake Pharoah.
electbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
Wldrns

its a darn shame to let this jewel go. I was there when a developer was touring the property, thinking of turning it into a youth/adult resort camp. He expressed deep concern over the continuing easement on what woud be "his" property with public access and his potential liability. i offered to guide for him, but have heard that he has since backed out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cedarlands.jpg (54.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 10-20-2016, 05:20 PM   #5
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by electbc View Post
let's pool our money and we can buy it.
http://www.fountainsland.com/propertyDesc.aspx?Id=454
What a shame that scouting has to sell off their camps due to lagging use and membership. My summer camp was Curtis S Read over in Brant Lake, we used to outpost on lake Pharoah.
poor management practices by paid "professional" scout administrators. Camp Russell was in the mid 2000's the only profitable camp among the three that the council owned, until the then camp director was fired, in part for paying the staff too much. it was a sad day last month when everything not nailed down from Cedarlands and Russell went at auction. One of the professionals made the comment that the Adirondacks was too far from the office in Utica and no one wanted to travel that far. Yet Massawepie is managed out of Rochester, and Curtis Read's offices are in Westchester. Sabattis Adventure Camp (near Little Tupper) is managed from new jersey.

Curtis Read is managed by friends of mine. it is unfortunate that the camp is not actually on Brant Lake, but only has two small ponds.

Last edited by Wldrns; 10-20-2016 at 05:49 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
poor management practices by paid "professional" scout administrators. Camp Russell was in the mid 2000's the only profitable camp among the three that the council owned, until the then camp director was fired, in part for paying the staff too much. it was a sad day last month when everything not nailed down from Cedarlands and Russell went at auction. One of the professionals made the comment that the Adirondacks was too far from the office in Utica and no one wanted to travel that far. Yet Massawepie is managed out of Rochester, and Curtis Read's offices are in Westchester. Sabattis Adventure Camp (near Little Tupper) is managed from new jersey.

Curtis Read is managed by friends of mine. it is unfortunate that the camp is not actually on Brant Lake, but only has two small ponds.
I thought Sabattis was run by the Syracuse Council? My troop used to go there, but when they went under new management, they pushed so hard to cut costs that the food quantities shrunk, and my Scouts were so hungry I had to make a run into Tupper to buy extra provisions to keep them going. We have since switched to Massaweepie...personally, I think the property at Sabattis is much nicer, but the crew and the food at Massaweepie are much better.

We are actually considering going up to Haliburton Scout Reserve in Ontario next summer...I've heard very good things.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWarlock View Post
I thought Sabattis was run by the Syracuse Council? M.
Yes, the Sabattis Scout Reservation located on Lows Lake is operated by the Longhouse Council (formerly Hiawatha Council) based in Syracuse. However, Sabattis Adventure Camp, which is not on Lows Lake (but not far away) is owned by Patriot's Path Council, Cedar Knolls, NJ.
https://ppcbsa.org/camping/boys/sabattis/

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//174...4!2d44.0685899
Old 10-21-2016, 08:27 AM   #8
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
Yes, the Sabattis Scout Reservation located on Lows Lake is operated by the Longhouse Council (formerly Hiawatha Council) based in Syracuse. However, Sabattis Adventure Camp, which is not on Lows Lake (but not far away) is owned by Patriot's Path Council, Cedar Knolls, NJ.
https://ppcbsa.org/camping/boys/sabattis/
Ah - that's right...now I remember. Thanks!

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:39 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Are there details with regards to this easement that would allow the property to be closed to public use in the future?

My understanding of easements is that any rights owned by the state (development, recreational use) are subjected to the same protections that apply to the Forest Preserve. In other words, the state can't just dispense of those rights on a whim, nor can any property owners (present or future) decide to restrict public access.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote