Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Skiing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
hike53

Snowy Mt

Anybody got any info on skiing Snowy Mt., Indian Lake ?
hike53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Are you looking for information about the general difficulty? Or just recent conditions?

Snowy would be a pretty challenging ski even in the best of conditions.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #3
Bob K

If you mean skiing the hiking trail, it is partially ski able in my opinion. I did it perhaps 10 years ago and switched to SSs about half way up. As I recall, it had some tricky ups & downs and required at least intermediate skills (and good snow). I used metal edge skis but not skins. Some of the upper portions might be skinned, but there is a steep pitch just before the "ledge" (with great views) that would be extremely challenging. I don't think this is skied much (vs SS).

There is also some off trail skiing on Snowy's eastern/southern slopes that I have not been to. Do some searching on this site for more info.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:59 AM   #4
hike53

SKiing Snowy Mt

I believe its the Eastern/Southern part that is being skied. Had a dude in my shop Saturday evening telling me how great the skiing was on Snowy. From his description , it sounds like that's the ticket.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #5
TCD

The most well known and popular skiing spots on Snowy are the north facing woods near the trail fairly far up the mountain, and the nearby Griffin Brook slide (east of Snowy, accessed directly from the road, not from the Snowy trail). I have not heard about skiing on the south side, but I'm sure it's possible.

These locations require quite good ski skills and equipment.

I have not been there recently, so I'm not sure about the snowpack, but here in the high peaks the skiing is not very good right now. One good snow would fix it...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Hard Scrabble

The final ascent to Snowy would be difficult with skis.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #7
hike53

SKiing Snowy Mt

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to check it out after this storm blows through. Got good gear and skills and an OK bit of sense. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

on one of our hikes up Snowy in winter, we met 2 skiers that started just below the ledge, and just made their own path back down. one of the craziest things i have seen in the ADK's! they looked like hockey players w/ all the protective gear they had on. they said they stayed to the right of the trail going down till they got to Beaver Brook, then turned around and did it again. we talked w/ them just before the 2nd run. i tried to video, but they came and went so fast, all you see is snow falling from the trees...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote