Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Justin

Public Comments Favor Wilderness For Boreas Ponds

http://www.adirondackalmanack.com/20...ilderness.html

http://adirondackwilderness.org/comm...-boreas-ponds/
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
JohnnyVirgil

This doesn't sound so good:

"This turnout shows that a desire for strong Wilderness protection is a widely held value and deserves serious consideration by the APA. Unfortunately, recent announcements by Governor Cuomo are cause for concern. In his recent State of the State Book, as well as in his proposed state budget, there is mention of investment in infrastructure at Boreas Ponds, possibly as part of a new Adirondack hut-to-hut system. This is an interesting concept to explore, but commercial lodging in the Forest Preserve would change the character of our wild areas significantly, and it would prevent Boreas Ponds from ever becoming a Wilderness destination."
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
IndLk_Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
"... In his recent State of the State Book, as well as in his proposed state budget, there is mention of investment in infrastructure at Boreas Ponds, possibly as part of a new Adirondack hut-to-hut system. ..."

Not to get too political, but I just love how bureaucracy can take something as plain as the words "forever wild" and continually dilute its meaning and definition until it becomes almost unrecognizable. Talk about 'death by a thousand pin pricks'.

Maybe I just woke up jaded today.
IndLk_Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:34 PM   #4
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndLk_Brett View Post
Not to get too political, but I just love how bureaucracy can take something as plain as the words "forever wild" and continually dilute its meaning and definition until it becomes almost unrecognizable. Talk about 'death by a thousand pin pricks'.

It's hard not to these days...
Old 02-07-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
This doesn't sound so good:

"This turnout shows that a desire for strong Wilderness protection is a widely held value and deserves serious consideration by the APA. Unfortunately, recent announcements by Governor Cuomo are cause for concern. In his recent State of the State Book, as well as in his proposed state budget, there is mention of investment in infrastructure at Boreas Ponds, possibly as part of a new Adirondack hut-to-hut system. This is an interesting concept to explore, but commercial lodging in the Forest Preserve would change the character of our wild areas significantly, and it would prevent Boreas Ponds from ever becoming a Wilderness destination."
Give our Governor a call tomorrow and tell him what you think...
http://adirondackwilderness.org/take-action/?nocache=1
Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
Bounder45

Quote:

What exactly is dying here?

The APA is considering allowing a few more miles of motorized access....you'd think they're about to build a strip mall in the middle of the High Peaks wilderness from the way some people complain and pontificate.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #7
IndLk_Brett

No, a strip mall would be death by guillotine actually.

And if you read the original quote:

"...In his recent State of the State Book, as well as in his proposed state budget, there is mention of investment in infrastructure at Boreas Ponds, possibly as part of a new Adirondack hut-to-hut system. This is an interesting concept to explore, but commercial lodging in the Forest Preserve would change the character of our wild areas significantly... "

That's a bit more than simply motorized access and is primarily what I was commenting on.

A thousand pin pricks refers to the idea that you take a little here, erode some more over here, do a tiny bit of damage here... and you do this over and over again - loosen ideals and regulation bit by tiny bit - and before you know it all those little things have combined to make a large impact. Much larger than any single thing alone would be.

You have kind of shown my point. No, a few miles of motorized access standing alone is not a huge deal. It's a tiny pin prick actually. But when we do these tiny things over and over and over again in various ways suddenly, if we're not careful, forever wild might not be so wild any longer. We may end up chipping away so much that original intention of 'forever wild' becomes no longer recognizable.

Roads may turn into roads plus a bunch of huts. And then if you have roads and huts why not have something else to? And then a little more. It's a slippery slope - that's all I'm saying.

And that is "death by a thousand pin pricks".

I just think care and caution need to be taken.

At some point if enough isn't enough, enough will never be enough.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 02-08-2017 at 01:05 AM..
Old 02-08-2017, 08:52 AM   #8
montcalm
Mobster

The "Forever Wild" clause isn't worth the paper it's written on.

The real power should lie with the people, and if you think forever wild is being watered down, speak up! If we don't, politicians like Cuomo will use every power they have to circumvent the law and the agencies that protect it.

I think private huts on the forest preserve IS A HUGE violation of forever wild.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post

The APA is considering allowing a few more miles of motorized access....you'd think they're about to build a strip mall in the middle of the High Peaks wilderness from the way some people complain and pontificate.
This is an interesting take on it. (click) Granted, it's not entirely unbiased, but this paragraph (if true) is an issue for me. "It appeared the Adirondack Park Agency was not willing to consider a full range of management options. About 100 parcels of land are in the process of being classified or reclassified this year. All but Boreas had a preferred outcome for classification, essentially what the Agency deemed the new lands to be, and a supporting document detailing why. Boreas on the other hand, was put on the table with no preferred alternative for classification, and an incomplete Environmental Impact Statement which should have told us what the land should be treated as. The Agency went to public hearings and a public comment period to ‘learn’ what it should already know and be telling the public about the property, not the other way around. "

It seems to me that the APA has lately become more and more about what the politicians want, and less about protecting the wilderness against encroachment.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #10
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post

The APA is considering allowing a few more miles of motorized access....
With only 2.7% of the contiguous United States currently being protected as Wilderness I guess you could say that overall Wilderness advocacy in general is dying.
Do we really need a few more miles motorized access?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Give our Governor a call tomorrow and tell him what you think...
http://adirondackwilderness.org/take-action/?nocache=1
Please join us in reaching out to the Governor by calling 518-474-8390 between 9am and 5pm on Wednesday, February 8th and Thursday, February 9th. When you call you will be given two choices: #1 Make Suggestions to Shape NY’s Future, and #2 Speak to an Agent. Please choose Option #2, speak to an agent.

I tried calling, just five minutes ago...
Our Governor's office has eliminated Option #2.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #12
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Please join us in reaching out to the Governor by calling 518-474-8390 between 9am and 5pm on Wednesday, February 8th and Thursday, February 9th. When you call you will be given two choices: #1 Make Suggestions to Shape NYs Future, and #2 Speak to an Agent. Please choose Option #2, speak to an agent.

Option 2 was still there for me just now. Weird.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
aft paddle

Quote:
Please join us in reaching out to the Governor by calling 518-474-8390 between 9am and 5pm on Wednesday, February 8th and Thursday, February 9th. When you call you will be given two choices: #1 Make Suggestions to Shape NYs Future, and #2 Speak to an Agent. Please choose Option #2, speak to an agent.

I understood every word of this post. Unfortunately I saw it too late...go figure.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
Justin

Quote:

The ol' keep them on hold for 10 minutes or so and hopefully they'll hang up gag!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 AM   #15
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
The ol' keep them on hold for 10 minutes or so and hopefully they'll hang up gag!
Yeah, I got the same result.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:16 PM   #16
IndLk_Brett

Could that be the Governor's version of wedging his fingers in his ears and shutting his eyes all the while shouting "La La La La .. I can't heeeear you .. "?
Old 02-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #17
Justin

Quote:
Could that be the Governor's version of wedging his fingers in his ears and shutting his eyes all the while shouting "La La La La .. I can't heeeear you .. "?

Old 02-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
IndLk_Brett

precisely!

If you suggest a classification for Boreas
but the Govenor isn't around to hear it
did you make a sound??
Old 02-10-2017, 05:01 PM   #19
Justin

Quote:
If you suggest a classification for Boreas
but the Govenor isn't around to hear it
did you make a sound??
I can see them in the office taking turns answering the phone...
You're it, quinzees, double stamped it, no erasies!
You can't stamp a double stamp...Lloyd!

Last edited by Justin; 02-10-2017 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: Who needs the radio?
Old 02-11-2017, 01:47 AM   #20
IndLk_Brett

MOCK!

YEAH!

ING!

YEAH!

... you should know that if you keep this up I'll never be able to resist posting and this thread will drift and drift! You're getting me going with my favorite movie.

Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 02-11-2017 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: Looks like those guys need a ride too