Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

Any places in the US similar to SL/LP?

Hey everyone!

Like the rest of you, Im sure you are here to find more exciting places to explore and share with others why you are in love with the Adks! For me its the mountains and closet knit small communities!
As much as I love it here Ive realized that I cannot live here. I am looking for places similar.
I moved to Syracuse area and the people are so different, they keep to themselves and dont really make eye contact. The area is just a place for consumerism and I just want out! I want tot be back in the mountains.

Any place youve ever visited that is like the Adirondacks but has bigger cities that might have more opportunities in terms of jobs?
Boise was similar in the way of wonderful people-and lots of jobs! and Mountains! But was just a too much city for me honestly. Looking forward to reading your responses!
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Burlington VT., Rutland VT., College town , working town.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Burlington, Vt
Asheville, NC
Ogden, Ut
Old 02-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #4
RipVanWinkle

Go west. Boulder City, CO, Jackson Hole WY
RipVanWinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayabrazie View Post
Hey everyone!

Like the rest of you, Im sure you are here to find more exciting places to explore and share with others why you are in love with the Adks! For me its the mountains and closet knit small communities!
As much as I love it here Ive realized that I cannot live here. I am looking for places similar.
I moved to Syracuse area and the people are so different, they keep to themselves and dont really make eye contact. The area is just a place for consumerism and I just want out! I want tot be back in the mountains.

Any place youve ever visited that is like the Adirondacks but has bigger cities that might have more opportunities in terms of jobs?
Boise was similar in the way of wonderful people-and lots of jobs! and Mountains! But was just a too much city for me honestly. Looking forward to reading your responses!
Syracuse is a big city and like all big cities, the residents use the defensive "no eye contact" rule.
What ever small community you choose in the ADK's, you'll be regarded as a flatlander by the "natives" until you've established yourself. The core population will accept you only after you have proven yourself.
The long term residents are a close knitted group. Wonderful people, but reserved.
I've heard the expression, "Don't trust anyone outside of the Blue Line."
They're great people, accustomed to fishermen and hunters for a hundred years or more, but don't expect to be included initially.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Burlington, VT
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #7
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Fox View Post
Burlington, VT
A transiantment community would be more acceptable.
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
MrKawfey

That's a really tough question to find an answer to. I have never really found a place quite like the Adirondack park. That's why I love it.

Burlington is a great town, really great. I have family there and I almost considered putting down my own roots there. More prosperous than SL but not in the center of a park.

I lived in Stockholm NY (between Massena and Potsdam) for several years and Potsdam and Canton both have a great small town feel. Unfortunately not much industry if you didn't work for one of the colleges.

I now live in Niskayuna which has plenty of industry and is close to the Adirondacks but very little community feeling. I know there are members in this forum from my area who will disagree with me about that, but it's a relative measure. I've lived in several areas with a very strong, small community feel, and this isn't one of them.

The closest thing I can think of to what you are looking for would be flagstaff AZ. Check it out. Isolated enough to have a close knit community, in the middle of a national forest, great mountain terrain, enough industry to be able to find work. I've been there a few times and was smitten. I've also had a friend live there fot a few years and she didn't want to leave.

Last thought, salt Lake city. Never been, but I've heard it's got the vibe your looking for.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
wiiawiwb

Kalispell and Missoula MT. Both have access to Flathead Lake as well as the surrounding mountains. There are a number of smaller communities sprinkled around that area, such as Whitefish and Creston, that also have access to the mountains around Flathead Lake.

In that area you are in striking distance to both Glacier and Kootenai National Park. If you get a hunger for a weekend in the city, you can take a jaunt to Spokane, WA.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote