Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
randy savage

Lowes Lake carry to the oswegatchie

so im taking a group of 8 students on a 3 night backpacking/canoe trip the first week in june (yes i know its bug season!!) this year and we have our sights set on the ever elusive oswegatchie headwaters trail/carry that goes from lowes lake to the oswegatchie river.... we are putting in at lowes dam about 9:30 am and hope to travel all the way to campsite 34 which appears to be the closest campsite to the carry.... i cant find any information or pictures on this site and i am concerned about space for the group of 9 total.... anyone out there camped here or been here to scout it out? how about the virgin timber landing i see you can camp there with a special permit should we consider this.... anything you guys know would be very helpful!!!!!
randy savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Wldrns

Contact the ranger in charge of the area, Corenne Black
315-848-2717,
Cell: 315-212-9440
She will give you all the information you need about size of sites and necessary permits.

Or Ranger Will Benzel (formerly in charge of lows)
315-848-3710,
Cell: 315-566-9285

It's a long haul. Are you thinking about using wheeled carts? I used a cart in there only once and swore never to do that again. Too rough for wheels without a lot of struggle. Hope you have lightweight boats and gear. Note there is (or was) a beaver flooded section part way through that you may have to negotiate. You can save some hauling by paddling across Big Deer Pond to intersect the trail on the other side.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-09-2017 at 05:40 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:11 PM   #3
Nehasane

Paddlers and Hikers Map Lows Lake & Bog River says this about site #34:
"Up away from shoreline to a large level area in a mixed forest.... Probably buggy in summer. Can fit 3, three person tents."
& this about Virgin Timber (I stayed there a long time ago):
"Long site with room for three tents..."
Nehasane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Adk Keith
Telemarker

When I went through there in 2014 I didn't stay at 34 because on an earlier trip we had checked it out and it is a small site, surrounded by dense evergreens.

I stayed at Virgin Timber, but it may not be available when you go through.

Last edited by Adk Keith; 03-09-2017 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Adk Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
randy savage

wow thanks guys so looks like 34 is out.. we have 4 tents to set up each 2 man and i have a hammock tent is the thing so we do require a little space, im wondering about the site it shows on big deer pond? possibly the remains of philo scotts hermit cabin? its funny you mention the cart thing as we have researched about 10 blogs now and everyone else says that they were told not to bring one and kicked themselves later as they thought they would work well?? im just carrying my kayak on my head but we have already rounded up 2 carts.... i guess i will keep exploring options have some time to think, thanks for the phone numbers as well i actually know them both and will ask of their knowledge probably my best bet, i didnt realize mr. benzel was once in charge of lowes i had his daughter in my class a few years back so ill start with that call thanks again!
randy savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #6
Wldrns

The first time I did the traverse, the trail had recently been cleared from the 1995 blowdown. Unfortunately the logs were not cut wide enough for my cart, so one wheel or the other kept trying to climb over the edge of a log. If if didn't , the edge of a log would catch the knob on the left wheel and it actually turned it off and the knob dropped off, somewhere. The next couple of times through I happily carried a 16 pound Hornbeck, but in general the trail has not ever looked cart friendly to me, though many people do portage it that way.

There is what looks like a campsite, just as you reach Big Deer Pond, where people launch to paddle the pond. There may be a campfire ring there, but it is a small area and should not be considered a legal site, since it is right on the trail.

You can always primitive camp most anywhere, following the 150 foot rule and LNT, but you are not likely to find many places where you can set up even a single solo tent, much less several. That's why I went to using a hammock several years ago.

Tags
headwaters canoe trail, lowes lake, oswegatchie, oswegatchie river