Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #1
mphilli2

27 years in the woods

Article about a guy who lived in the woods 27 years. Not in Adirondacks, but might interest readers here.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...ea36f-81874869
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Justin

Interesting article, but I'm not a fan of how the author romanticizes this guy. I try not to judge anyone for any reason, but I have a hard time believing Mr. Knight was anything more than a homeless, sneaky thief... plain & simple.

Here's an older thread about Christopher Knight.

...And here's a similar story about another sneaky criminal living in the Adirondack woods, Allan Como.

Funny how both Knight & Como were once employed by a security alarm company!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
Buckladd

The stories of these two are interesting but I agree that as thieves they should not be put on some kind of pedestal. Como scared the hell out of some people who's camps he broke into. Although, I did hear an interesting story about him, even though I don't know if it's true or not. The story is that when he was captured he didn't know about 911 and when he saw something about it on TV he openly wept.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
...The story is that when he was captured he didn't know about 911 and when he saw something about it on TV he openly wept.
Quoted from the article linked in the Allan Como thread...

Quote:
when Como was arrested there [Enfield, New Hampshire] in 2002 and taken into the station, he’d happened to see a Time magazine issue discussing the attacks of 9/11. When Como asked the officers to explain the images on the cover, Police Sergeant Ken May remembered, it looked like he was about to cry.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #5
mphilli2

This book reviewer wonders whether the story is entirely true:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/16/b...av=bottom-well
mphilli2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilli2 View Post
This book reviewer wonders whether the story is entirely true:

From the reviewer...
Quote:
I am not alone in my skepticism. Finkel writes that roughly 80 percent of the North Pond summer residents he spoke to couldn’t believe Knight had survived for decades in a crude shelter of his own making — not when the winter temperatures could fall to 20 degrees below zero, not when the summer mosquitoes were so vicious they would raise a sky’s worth of constellations on your skin.

I've noticed that many people who are more accustomed to sleeping indoors in a nice warm private camp often have a hard time understanding how & why someone would prefer to sleep outdoors in a tent, especially during harsh conditions. The only thing that I have a hard time believing is that he never had a fire on those extremely cold nights.

Last edited by Justin; 03-17-2017 at 01:21 PM..