Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #1
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Dam pictures !!!!

After seeing all of Justins great pics, and everyone elses, I thought a thread for dam pictures might be fun. So we can post manmade, beaver made, natural, etc. Lets see what we get! Low's upper and lower should be easy,Cranberry & Tupper's outflows, all come to mind!
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #2
Bill I.

This is the walkway across the old spillway on the dam at Round Lake, north of Little Tupper. The stairs lead to an island, and on the other side is the other half of the dam. I believe this dam was built by Whitney Park to augment log drives down Round Lake Stream into the Bog River.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Round Lake Dam.jpg (136.0 KB, 659 views)
Bill I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Edelweiss

1. Duck Hole Dam (ADK)
2. Glen Canyon Dam (Arizona)
3. Beaver Dam (Northville Placid Trail)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Northville-Placid Trail.jpg (132.2 KB, 637 views)
File Type: jpg Glen Canyon Dam (Arizona).jpg (68.0 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg Beaver Dam on NPT.jpg (144.0 KB, 625 views)
ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
Justin

Harrison Marsh
PLW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (91.3 KB, 625 views)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #5
Wldrns

1. Triple stack in the Haderondah
2. Entering Raquette Lake on the 90 Miler Canoe Classic
3. Deer Pond in the Pepperbox
4. Up and over on the Oswegatchie
5. Oswegatchie log jam
6. Squirrel high dam in the Black River WF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tripledam.jpg (96.7 KB, 599 views)
File Type: jpg brownstact90miler.jpg (80.7 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg deerpondpepperbox.jpg (87.1 KB, 588 views)
File Type: jpg upandover.jpg (48.4 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg logpiledam.jpg (101.1 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg squirrel-high-dam.jpg (111.5 KB, 588 views)
Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 AM   #6
pico23

we love beaver dams, and are truly amazed by them even as much trouble as they often are. The bigger and more difficult they make our travels the more impressed we are. I wish I could say the same for deadfalls.

West Canada Lakes:

St Regis River

Osgood River

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes
pico23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #7
pico23

And some of the numerous and equally bad deadfall that greats you as you carry your boat up the jordan river!

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Old 03-04-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
pico23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
This is the walkway across the old spillway on the dam at Round Lake, north of Little Tupper. The stairs lead to an island, and on the other side is the other half of the dam. I believe this dam was built by Whitney Park to augment log drives down Round Lake Stream into the Bog River.
How far down stream is this past the start of the dam? That is the last campsite on the eastern half of the lake?

We explored a bit around there but the light was fading and the rocks REALLY slick, I fell hard. I didn't see this, only the concrete start of a spillway, and a obviously purposefully downed tree.

The Whitneys didn't own Round Lake but they did own the rights to controlling the dam and I believe the dam to help regulate little tupper water levels.

This is in the original DEC/APA census of the lands before purchase by the state. I'm not entirely sure if it had anything (entirely everything) to do with log movement, I think it was largely to maintain the shallow lake (little tupper) at a minimum level.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #9
Bill I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
How far down stream is this past the start of the dam? That is the last campsite on the eastern half of the lake?

The Whitneys didn't own Round Lake but they did own the rights to controlling the dam and I believe the dam to help regulate little tupper water levels.

This is in the original DEC/APA census of the lands before purchase by the state. I'm not entirely sure if it had anything (entirely everything) to do with log movement, I think it was largely to maintain the shallow lake (little tupper) at a minimum level.
This is located right at the outlet of the lake. There are two parts to the dam, separated by an island. If you paddle north to the outlet and land on the east (right) shore at the northernmost campsite, a trail takes you right to it.

Round Lake was indeed part of the original Whitney Park. My guess is that this dam was built during their first scheduled harvest, circa 1898-1909, or esle during the second timber harvest, which began in 1934. The Whitneys operated a jackworks near Tupper Lake village, where logs floated down Round Lake Stream and across Big Tupper were sold to the various mills. Just below the Round Lake dam, you can see where they built a stone berm in the riverbed to straighten out the flow--and to minimize logjams.

The original Whitney Park included Round Lake, Buck Mountain, and Grampus & Mohegan lakes. They sold Grampus and Mohegan (all of Whitney Park east of NY 30) to Litchfield Park in the 1960s--and Litchfield later sold it to International Paper. Whitney sold Buck Mountain and Round Lake directly to I.P. in the 1970s.

I read up on the history of Whitney Park when I re-wrote the guidebook for this region.

Last edited by Bill I.; 03-04-2008 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
toothlessannie

Same dam in different seasons, no-name beaver pond in Hoffman notch Wilderness.

toothlessannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
adirondacker

ampersand brook

A couple of dams along Ampersand Brook (Stoney Creek Area)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ampersandweb.jpg (94.8 KB, 552 views)
File Type: jpg ampersand1.jpg (106.2 KB, 551 views)
adirondacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM   #12
pico23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildriver View Post
This is located right at the outlet of the lake. There are two parts to the dam, separated by an island. If you paddle north to the outlet and land on the east (right) shore at the northernmost campsite, a trail takes you right to it.

Round Lake was indeed part of the original Whitney Park. My guess is that this dam was built during their first scheduled harvest, circa 1898-1909, or esle during the second timber harvest, which began in 1934. The Whitneys operated a jackworks near Tupper Lake village, where logs floated down Round Lake Stream and across Big Tupper were sold to the various mills. Just below the Round Lake dam, you can see where they built a stone berm in the riverbed to straighten out the flow--and to minimize logjams.

The original Whitney Park included Round Lake, Buck Mountain, and Grampus & Mohegan lakes. They sold Grampus and Mohegan (all of Whitney Park east of NY 30) to Litchfield Park in the 1960s--and Litchfield later sold it to International Paper. Whitney sold Buck Mountain and Round Lake directly to I.P. in the 1970s.

I read up on the history of Whitney Park when I re-wrote the guidebook for this region.

Thanks for the info...the original census didn't go that deep, but it did note Whitney Park retained the rights to the dam after selling the lake to regulate LTL water levels.

I assumed that the dam was more for this purpose as a result.

Excellent info though, I'm always interested in the history of the lands.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:33 AM   #13
Bill I.

This is the view from the earthen dam at South Lake, near Atwell--my pick for prettiest man-made dam in the Adirondacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg South Lake Dam.jpg (75.6 KB, 526 views)
Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #14
Bill I.

Views of the remains of the old dam at Twin Lakes, south of Atwell. It was built to supply water to the state's canal system, but lumbermen from Forestport would sometimes help themselves and release water for their river drives. The dam has been abandoned for a long, long time, but the Canal Corporation retained ownership of the dam and the old reservoir bed until quite recently. The top of the dam makes an excellent campsite.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Twin Lakes.jpg (92.7 KB, 525 views)
File Type: jpg Twin Lakes 2.jpg (71.6 KB, 521 views)
Old 03-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #15
bridgeman

Hinckley Dam during construction
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:26 PM   #16
Kevin
**BANNED**

Awesome stuff!

My contributions...

Large, unnamed dam we happened upon while out West...

Along trail near Bear Pond (Putnam Pond area):

Dam along Little Ray Brook:

I have pics of several of the other already shared dams... so I won't repost them. These are the only ones I can think of real quick that haven't been posted...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
bridgeman

let's try again. Photo resized.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinckley dam 4.jpg (26.0 KB, 511 views)
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

Old 04-22-2008, 12:12 PM   #19
mtnhiker10
mtnhiker10

sorry, i don't know what i'm doing
Old 04-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #20
Adk Keith
Telemarker

I recognize that dam toothlessannie, Nice big Great Blue Heron rookery at the other end along with a osprey nest as well. I paddled that as a shortcut to Big Pond.

Speaking of shortcuts (and dams):

another more pleasant dam not too far away from the first shot: