Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: In the Adirondacks my recreational activities are:
Paddling. Flat water. 211 62.80%
Paddling. White water. 27 8.04%
Rock and/or ice climbing. 31 9.23%
Cycling 56 16.67%
Hiking 278 82.74%
Bushwhacking 137 40.77%
Peakbagging 111 33.04%
Hunting 79 23.51%
Fishing 168 50.00%
I live in the Adirondacks. 50 14.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 AM   #21
Neil
Kayak-46

Snowshoeing and hiking, and also winter and summer are basically the same to me so I didn't differentiate them, although flat water paddling and identifying flowers must be pretty tough in February. I though of camping but whether you camp or day hike you're probably hiking. Bird watching, plant identification etc. are excellent categories I didn't think of.

Peakbagging is a gawd-awful term but it sums up the idea of going for a hike or bushwhack with the goal of attaining a summit. Within the scope of this poll it has nothing to do with checking peaks off on a list or whatever spirit it is done in.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:32 AM   #22
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Good poll Neil. As has been noted you couldn't include everything and any changes/additions/deletions that I would have made I will keep to myself. If it were important to me, I would create my own poll. (do regular members have that power?)
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 07:53 AM   #23
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
If it were important to me, I would create my own poll. (do regular members have that power?)
Yes, it's easy. When you start a new thread you check the make-it-a-poll box and after you write your post you get taken to the poll feature.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #24
Signal 600

Could only vote 'hiking' for now, but as my little boy gets bigger we'll likely add more stuff to the mix....hopefully fishing and cycling this summer.

-Trevor
Signal 600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #25
hikerdad

I voted for hiking and (OMG) peakbagging....because I......like to climb mountains.

I would like to start doing some canoe camping also but I haven't donethat yet so I didn't mark it.
hikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #26
DRIFTER

My favorite these days would be canoe/camping combined with fishing or hunting . I've gone solo many times before, but from reading others posts have gotten very interested in ultra-light canoes and the idea of getting to those ponds that are unreachable by trails or waterway. I'm usually the point man on our yearly black powder hunts and get up there a few days before everyone else and I've found alone time to be a good thing sometimes.......Nice and quiet!!!
DRIFTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #27
DRIFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
If it were important to me, I would create my own poll. (do regular members have that power?)

**And what about irregular members?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
jrbren

Reality: 99% hiking, 0.9% running.
99% of my hikes involve a summit, but I am not going though a list right now. Not sure if that counts as peak bagging or not, I would say no. But I did peak bagging in the past (finished the 46 in 1995). I have done rock climbing too, but do not particularly like it. I will be doing some more this summer (likely at the beer walls) but more to get better with rope work to be able to safer glacier hiking later in the summer. One thing I would like to add is sea kayaking. I would love to get on some of the Lake's over there (Saranac Lake, Schroon Lake, et al). Problem is (admittedly a good problem to have) that Lake Champlain is on 3 sides of my town and whenever I go padding I generally go someplace local due to laziness. I put hiking for the poll.
jrbren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:13 PM   #29
MattC

I checked off hiking and peakbagging, since that's what I've mostly done up there, and also flat water paddling, although that's only been a couple of times. I really haven't been to the Adirondacks nearly enough for anything in the last year or so. When I do finally start getting back up more often, I'd like to paddle more and also do some road biking. Cross-country skiing and birding are two other areas I'd like to explore in the Adirondacks.

It's interesting to see all the different ways people enjoy the Adirondack region.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
Peak baggers generally only care about the tick list.
"Generally" and "only", huh? Any scientific data on that?

I don't normally respond to this sort of thing, and I really don't want to start a lot of off-topic back and forth, but I'll just kindly ask Pico, Wildriver and anyone else to try to resist the temptation to speculate on why anyone else chooses to enjoy the park their own way. Peakbagging and "savoring wilderness mountains" are hardly mutually exclusive. No offense meant to either of you guys (I think you both contribute a lot here) and really no offense taken. It just gets old seeing people write about the motivations of others. It's not as if "peakbaggers" are a different species or something.

Matt
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM   #30
MattC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pico23 View Post
I will eventually do some road touring up there. That down hill from Lake Placid to Keene has always been on my must do list. I figure I can hit 60+ if I still have the gonads to ride that fast downhill. It was funny my friends would always destroy me on down hill mountain bike stretches but on the road they'd be minutes behind on the steeps.
It's hard to even get my mind around 60+ on a bike. As someone just getting more into longer rides, I'm trying to get used to long descents. I live right near the Shawangunk Ridge, so riding up there helps, but I still ride my brakes a lot. The other day I was doing the long descent from the Mohonk Mt. House, riding my brakes, and some guy just went flying past me. Looked like fun, but I'd be afraid to become one with a tree or something.

If and when I try riding in the Adirondacks, I guess I'll have to get more comfortable with the big downhills.

Matt
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:30 AM   #31
hikerdad

Interesting poll results so far...fairly even split between hiking and paddling...I thought it was interesting becuase we've just started an ADK chapter here in Binghamton and the membership seems to be split about the same...a lot of hikers but a sizeable contingent of paddlers...
hikerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #32
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Well with so many lakes, ponds, rivers, etc it would stand to reason there would be a fair amount of both.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #33
Boreal Chickadee

In addition to the poll choices I made:

camping (car camping as a base)
backpacking
canoe camping
canoe backpacking-I guess this one means to portage in
winter backpacking and/or pulking
snow shoeing
cross country skiing
birdwatching
photography
visiting Mom
museum viewing & research
shopping for books
trail work
fireworks watching

and the fun for all fun: hauling shingles and logs into the woods to repair lean-tos. Gotta love it!
Old 04-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #34
DRIFTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee View Post
In addition to the poll choices I made:

camping (car camping as a base)
backpacking
canoe camping
canoe backpacking-I guess this one means to portage in
winter backpacking and/or pulking
snow shoeing
cross country skiing
birdwatching
photography
visiting Mom
museum viewing & research
shopping for books
trail work
fireworks watching

and the fun for all fun: hauling shingles and logs into the woods to repair lean-tos. Gotta love it!

You should find a hobby!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #35
kayakrski

What about beer drinkin'
kayakrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #36
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

To add to the fray we would include:

Porch Sitting
Gardening, both floral and food
Camp maintenance, it more fun in the ADKs.
Sailing
Trapping
ATV and Snowmobile (easy now!)
Blueberry Picking

and these that are already listed:

Hike/Camp/Paddle/Hunt/Fish/Bushwackin
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #37
redhawk

The most important one of all...
"Wind Breaking"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #38
chairrock
Indian Mt.Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
The most important one of all...

"Wind Breaking"
Thats why I like to go first!
chairrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #39
kayakrski

Sarcastic comments and belittling of friends are great too.
kayakrski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #40
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakrski View Post
Sarcastic comments and belittling of friends are great too.
Shhh! There are people here who believe that sarcasm is not a form of humor. I have been told so personally..

So we know that they are neither from NYC nor Jewish.