Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #21
sharon1118

Quote:
Originally Posted by snav3 View Post
Hi Sharon,
Iíve lived in Webster, on and off for over 50 years. As far as I know thereís always been lots of coyotes in the area. They are very shy though.

A few years ago when I lived on the eastern, more rural side of town, Iím sure there was a large pack of coyotes/coy dogs, I often heard them howling and yelping at night. Once, as I was throwing a frisbee for my dog, I noticed a very healthy looking pair of coyotes watching us from a hillside (soccer fields near the arboretum). Eventually they lost interest and walked into the woods.

The pictured animal does look a little large for a coyote, but its hard to tell. There are some large, old growth hardwoods along the Lake Rd trails and he could be standing among those. I doubt its photo shopped, just a poor quality image that becomes pixelated when zoomed even a little.
I grew up in Webster, I live in the village of East Rochester now and my husband works at Xerox on Salt Rd. I grew up in the Plank Rd/Creek Street area...our house was the first house built in the Pen-Creek sub-division surrounded by farmer fields. A Lynx was shot in our backyard, I know it was a lynx because the DEC was called in and I asked if it was a mountain lion, and he said no, a very large Canadian lynx...I also came home from school to find a whole lot of law- enforcement behind my house and was told there was a black bear wandering around. I saw many fox, pheasant and woodchucks back in those days, but never a coyote or a wolf!
sharon1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #22
RichieC

PhotoShop.
There are two blurry bands across his legs.

I'm thinking Front elbow is too high, shape of chest is wrong, weight of limbs should be stockier, tail bushier, back leg appears stretched, not the crouch of a wolf or German Shepard. This fellah got his legs stretched by Adobe or with two floppy ears ain't either
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #23
TCD

It's very pixellated, but I agree it's probably a fake.

Sharon, no worries. There is a massive industry of faking photos, and one of the popular topics has always been "interesting predators where you don't expect them." Photoshopped pics of wolves, mountain lions, etc., are all over the web. Also common are real photos with fake claims of where they were taken. Like you, I have no idea why anyone would bother to do this, but oh well...
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote