Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

How much ADK flora is edible?

Does anyone know the proportion or rough percentage of wild edibles and medicinals in the Adirondacks compared with those that are poisonous or toxic? For example, what are the odds that me eating a random plant off the forest floor will result in stomach discomfort at the very least? I know a bit about wild edibles in the northeast but I don't know them all and was curious what the proportions were of edibles vs. non-edibles.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Fox View Post
Does anyone know the proportion or rough percentage of wild edibles and medicinals in the Adirondacks compared with those that are poisonous or toxic? For example, what are the odds that me eating a random plant off the forest floor will result in stomach discomfort at the very least? I know a bit about wild edibles in the northeast but I don't know them all and was curious what the proportions were of edibles vs. non-edibles.
Wild edibles is a life long hobby including medicinal plants so this is a great subject. First I would "not' suggest eating anything without being confident on what it is (that's a golden rule with wild plants). That being said, there are a huge variety of flora in the Adirondacks that can be consumed beyond the deer berries and Wintergreen, there are evergreen tea's from steeping white pine needles. Some common variety's such as clover flowers (pink and white) on your lawn can be eaten and this time of year until early summer countless wild strawberries will show up. There are other species like Elderberry and Pokeweed which can be great but have serious toxins so you need to study which parts of the pants and when to pick. Other like Sunchokes are great just dig out the tubers and raw or cooked is great. Cat tail are great also. And Sumac drink to wash it down is fantastic... I would try to avoid thinking in terms of "percent"of flora that is edible instead learn and try one, then learn and try something new. One at a time. Old Native Wisdom goes a long way in these parts and with patience there is a wealth of knowledge out there...
Old 04-24-2015, 05:51 PM   #3
geogymn

One would be ill advised to miss ramp season which is happening right now!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
One would be ill advised to miss ramp season which is happening right now!
One of my earliest very young childhood memories that I still retain is when my parents would take me trout fishing on a certain Tug Hill stream in the woods. My mother toted along a cast iron frying pan, and would cook a mess of trout and wild leeks (ramps) with butter right there in the woods. It was so good, I still have the image and smells and taste in my head.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
dundee

You do know about yellow snow, don't you?
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:43 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Watch out where the huskies go...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #7
rickhart

All I know is that a late-summer route with lots of blueberries or raspberries slooooows me down a whole lot....
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundee View Post
Even Mr Z. wouldn't wear a bear hat in bear season while enjoying a Sno-Cone filled with mercury.

I'll eat anything that the baby seals eat; including the milk.
Stay away from mallets and clubs.
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
One of my earliest very young childhood memories that I still retain is when my parents would take me trout fishing on a certain Tug Hill stream in the woods. My mother toted along a cast iron frying pan, and would cook a mess of trout and wild leeks (ramps) with butter right there in the woods. It was so good, I still have the image and smells and taste in my head.
Your mom sounds like a heck of a woman! Trout and ramps has to be the ultimate outdoor lunch. Of course you remember, it is in your DNA.
My brother sautéed up some dandelions and ramps a couple days ago. I just finished a breakfast of eggs and ramps.
Morels soon!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
wiiawiwb

I have a hankering for sumac lemonade. It's readily available and refreshing.

If memory serves me, there use to be a woman who taught classes about medicinal and edible plants in the Adirondacks.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:21 AM   #12
Boreal Fox
Moss Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk View Post
Wild edibles is a life long hobby including medicinal plants so this is a great subject. First I would "not' suggest eating anything without being confident on what it is (that's a golden rule with wild plants). That being said, there are a huge variety of flora in the Adirondacks that can be consumed beyond the deer berries and Wintergreen, there are evergreen tea's from steeping white pine needles. Some common variety's such as clover flowers (pink and white) on your lawn can be eaten and this time of year until early summer countless wild strawberries will show up. There are other species like Elderberry and Pokeweed which can be great but have serious toxins so you need to study which parts of the pants and when to pick. Other like Sunchokes are great just dig out the tubers and raw or cooked is great. Cat tail are great also. And Sumac drink to wash it down is fantastic... I would try to avoid thinking in terms of "percent"of flora that is edible instead learn and try one, then learn and try something new. One at a time. Old Native Wisdom goes a long way in these parts and with patience there is a wealth of knowledge out there...
Thanks for the info. I know about most of those edibles (I now definitely want to try sumac though!) and was just curious for curiosity's sake how much of the forest is edible and medicinal. I usually don't eat that which I can't identify but I'll taste things or rub them on my skin to see if I can an adverse reaction to them if I don't know them. I find it alot more useful and empowering knowing what is what in the forest them what logo belongs to what company. A study found that young people could identify 1000 corporate logos but fewer than 10 plants or animals native to their backyards, which is really disappointing. I'd love to get to the point where I can identify a majority or close to all of the plants I come across on my forest adventures and excursions.
Boreal Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Fox View Post
Thanks for the info. I know about most of those edibles (I now definitely want to try sumac though!) and was just curious for curiosity's sake how much of the forest is edible and medicinal. I usually don't eat that which I can't identify but I'll taste things or rub them on my skin to see if I can an adverse reaction to them if I don't know them. I find it alot more useful and empowering knowing what is what in the forest them what logo belongs to what company. A study found that young people could identify 1000 corporate logos but fewer than 10 plants or animals native to their backyards, which is really disappointing. I'd love to get to the point where I can identify a majority or close to all of the plants I come across on my forest adventures and excursions.
Its a great point, too many young people have lost the backwoods wisdom. The effect of which is that they are less likely to protect wild places when they do not have a love or even basic understanding of forest ecology. Its most certainly up to us to promote appreciation to help show the way...
Old 07-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #14
Connecticut Yankee
Connecticut Yankee

Authorities supposedly in the know say there are aprox. 21,000 plants in North America and 20 to 30% of them are in some way edible. That of course means 70-80% are Not edible. Cherries for example are edible but everything on the tree including the cherry pit is poisonous, I believe it is arsenic that is in the cherry tree that gets you.

John M.
Connecticut Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote