Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #1
sharon1118

Love is in the air...

http://adirondacklifestyle.net/2015/.../#.VgQqUt-bzIV
sharon1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #2
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Good article Sharon, thanks for the heads up and welcome to the forum.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
cityboy

I just heard a strange call this past weekend. Having sat on my porch listening to woodland sounds over the past 20 years it was something I hadn't heard before. Initially I thought coyote but as it got closer I was thinking maybe bear or Moose. It was persistent and kept it up from 5 pm to around 7. It was repeated the next evening too.

I just checked out a site of Moose vocalizations and what I first took as coyote-like was the bugling of a Moose. The nearer close up grunting sounds were also that of a Moose. I had basically come to that conclusion anyway since it was mating season and the calling was so persistent that it seemed the animal was searching for something like a mate. Since early bear season had just opened I didn't think a bear would be dumb enough to walk a mile announcing it's presence.

We have both a Bull and Cow in the area so it was definitely was a Moose looking for love in all the wrong places.
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #4
Hard Scrabble

Black bears are pretty much non vocal except in the spring mating season when sows in heat will make a bawl almost like a dairy cow.
I've heard them near Pharaoh Lake while camping in June.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Black bears make a variety of sounds for different reasons although most movies depicting black bears import bear sounds from other types when showing bear aggression. http://bearsmartdurango.org/bear-sounds/
Old 09-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #6
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I just heard a strange call this past weekend. Having sat on my porch listening to woodland sounds over the past 20 years it was something I hadn't heard before. Initially I thought coyote but as it got closer I was thinking maybe bear or Moose. It was persistent and kept it up from 5 pm to around 7. It was repeated the next evening too.

I just checked out a site of Moose vocalizations and what I first took as coyote-like was the bugling of a Moose. The nearer close up grunting sounds were also that of a Moose. I had basically come to that conclusion anyway since it was mating season and the calling was so persistent that it seemed the animal was searching for something like a mate. Since early bear season had just opened I didn't think a bear would be dumb enough to walk a mile announcing it's presence.

We have both a Bull and Cow in the area so it was definitely was a Moose looking for love in all the wrong places.
well. They aren't exactly thinking straight. Did you hear the male rattling brush or the female peeing. ? The call by itself is neat
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote