Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2016, 04:37 PM   #41
Hard Scrabble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
Jim,

I don't go fast whether on a bike or quad. About the fastest I go on a quad nowadays is 8 mph. Trees have a way of jumping out in front of you and besides I like to enjoy the ride. Now in a familiar field with short grass I will sometimes put the coal to it but only for a short distance. My latest quad has almost 80 hp and goes about that fast too but that's what I've read only. I have no desire to test it out. The problem with a quad is the temptation to go faster which can result in coming up on a bear too quickly. With coyotes I only see tails and tracks. I also enjoy the hike and cross country skiing and fishing and boating. But the quad is nice too. Of course I only use it on private property with their consent, and I do NOT abuse the privilege.
Schultzz,
I think that you missed my point.
Your odds of physical injury are far greater while riding your 4 wheeler, your trail bike, or for that matter, driving your car to the 7/11 than a hostile attack by a black bear.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:31 PM   #42
yayabrazie
Yayabrazie

The week of Thanksgiving I saw one run out in front of me in the Whitney Wilderness area. Just a lil guy. This was heading towards the Ranger HQ.
yayabrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:40 AM   #43
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayabrazie View Post
The week of Thanksgiving I saw one run out in front of me in the Whitney Wilderness area. Just a lil guy. This was heading towards the Ranger HQ.
About five years ago my wife and I had a small bear cross the channel leading from Little Tupper to Round Lake. It swam right in front of her and I was about 50 yards behind. My closest encounters with bears, however, have been during the hunting season. I had a sow and three cubs run by me at 30 yards in the Northern ADKs three years ago. I was amazed at how fast they could run.
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:01 PM   #44
Cold River Bob
Bob in the Sewards

Years back while I was at Duckhole I came around the bend on the npt.an there was double yellow. She was huge. Not fifty feet from me. She just looked at me an walked off in the woods.
Cold River Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #45
EagleCrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold River Bob View Post
Years back while I was at Duckhole I came around the bend on the npt.an there was double yellow. She was huge. Not fifty feet from me. She just looked at me an walked off in the woods.
I think she knew better than to mess with Big Bad Bob!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:12 PM   #46
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

A couple of years ago Ross and I were camped at one of my favorite spots on one of my favorite ponds. There's thick head-high Spruce on the west side of the campsite, quite close to the fire ring. Ross and I were standing by the fire after dark and heard something large rustling in those Spruce, just a few feet from us. I had an inkling it was a curious bear. 'Watch this" said I. I picked up a good-sized piece of firewood and threw it in the direction of the noise. We heard a solid thunk, a startled woof and then the crashing and bashing as Mr. Bear took off out of there at speed. Ross's eyes were the size of saucers and I'm not sure he slept that night.

We saw the bear the next morning swim from an island and high tail it into the woods. Unforgettable!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #47
Buckladd

Bear: What is thought to produce any night sound within a mile radius of the campsite.

-Patrick F. McManus (Never Sniff a Gift Fish)
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote