Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #41
Crokit
crokit

Several years ago in a beaver bay on the back side of St. Regis Mt. I was entertained by two otters chasing each other onto a slide, down into the bay, scurrying back up to the slide, down, again and again, chattering away. Continued until both went on point, looking West into the wind. Both hit the bay and disappeared. A few minutes latter, a coyote appeared at the top of the slide. Beautiful looking animal, as were the otters.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #42
mossarden

Seen otters on little remote ponds in the ADKs and I've been surprised by otters on Lake George, in the narrows....a whole family of them chattering woke me up one pre-dawn while camping. ... also at the Village docks in downtown LG, where they'd set up shop one (recent) spring
mossarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:02 PM   #43
Jackson

Otters

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.S.sharp View Post
I know your looking for the wild ones but the wild center in Blue mountain lake has some live ones on display along with lots of other cool things .
I think you mean that that Wild Center is in TUPPER Lake,,,, the Adk Museum is in Blue Mountain Lake. Both great places though!
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #44
Jwatson

Otter

Saw 3 otter this weekend on Lake Abanakee
Jwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #45
rickhart

I saw a family of them in Chair Rock Flow this September - one larger one & three smaller ones, wandering around the bay. It was during an evening paddle around the flow. After the trip I saw that a guidebook mentioned they're often seen in those south bays of Cranberry Lake.
rickhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 10:58 PM   #46
Zachnaturephotographer

How to spot an otter?

Great thread!

I've had quite a few encounters with river otters- over the last several years especially. I've seen them in the Fulton Chain Wild forest, the Jessup arm of Indian Lake, Ha de Ron dah Wilderness, and more locally in the Tug Hill region. Most recently, a family group of four sniffed and snorted about 20' from me on East Pine Pond while I photographed the pond (wide angle lens on- so no otter pics &#128532

www.zacharywakemanphotography.com
http://nynaturephotozw.blogspot.com/?m=1
Zachnaturephotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:07 AM   #47
suescanal

One member of a family this summer- they look like puppet-socks\ I've been lucky over the years seeing these guys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Otter.jpg (48.2 KB, 82 views)
suescanal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 PM   #48
forest dweller

I'm sure I've seen them once and nearly certain I've seen them twice. The certain time was from the shore of the Grass Pond portion of Lows Lake as a mama and babies swam by a few years ago. And quite a few years before that I was at Duck Hole in late fall / early winter and a few otter / beaver looking things seemed to be chilling and playing on ice that had formed. I saw that happening after AI woke up from the leanto so I didn't get a close look.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote