Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 01:13 PM   #81
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Enough

This is getting ridiculous. This thread is no longer about bears or bear behavior, but the behavior of people talking about bears. Return to the topic at hand, please.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #82
shawil527

Here is an interesting video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMYEkAFhJuw
shawil527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #83
St.Regis

An Attack by Several Bears

Pretty incredible.

http://www.jobsnhire.com/articles/13...ska-island.htm
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #84
cityboy

Here is a story about Grizzlies stalking hunters. Tracking the bears was done with a GPS unit. I bet this isn't all that uncommon and Black bears probably do the same.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...ollow-hunters/
cityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #85
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Here is a story about Grizzlies stalking hunters. Tracking the bears was done with a GPS unit. I bet this isn't all that uncommon and Black bears probably do the same.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/...ollow-hunters/
From everything I've ever read, there is little behavioral similarity between blacks and Grizzlies...

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:51 PM   #86
yellowcanoe

While Fox New is not my choice for accurate scientific reporting.. if you read the article.. rather than knee jerk out of context..

the bears are looking for food. It makes sense at hunting time , just before bears are denning. They have become habituated to elk hunters leaving offal in the field and there is plenty of open country to find "easy prey" and outrun the hunter!

So what does that have to do with the usual ADK camper or hunter? The bears wont be able to see what you may have dropped with your shot.

Montana is not NYS.

Not sure what the purpose of posting the Fox Non News report.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 PM   #87
geogymn

I enjoyed the article! I would think that anyone in the field would be interested in animal behavior, be it bee, bird or bear.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #88
cityboy

Black bear do share the same need for nourishment. I bet black bear follow people often looking for scraps. They appear at ADK campsites and dumps so why not follow the providers of food.
I had a forester tell me she heard something following her while she ate a sandwich. As soon as she threw it away a black bear stepped out and proceeded to eat it.

Deer often follow hunters out of curiosity. I really don't think the story is that surprising but I'd rather be followed by a deer or even a black bear than a grizzly.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 AM   #89
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

This afternoon I was headed for a favorite fishing hole which will remain unnamed. I suppose the sow was on her side nursing her cubs and due to the recent tall growth from the rain, as a result, I didn't see her. Perhaps that is why she didn't hear me approaching until I got a little too damn close. She arose on all fours and looked right at me. 150 feet away. No tall trees for her to send the cubs up, she stood her ground. Oops. She took a few steps toward me. I backed up slowly hoping I wouldn't trip. I didn't run and I didn't look her in the eyes. I slowly increased my distance from her and when I found the trail again I moved a lot faster. Heart pounding, stinky sweat, Shaking, got back to vehicle and lost my desire to go fishing. Well there's always tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #90
St.Regis

Schultzz - Sounds like you made the right decision.
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #91
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Next time I'll whistle while I walk or sing the "Happy Wanderer" song. Anything to make some noise to give the dangerous animals a chance to get away from me. Might not be bad advice for other solo fishermen. If you're with someone then talk to them. Most animals which haven't lost their natural fear of man are shy and withdraw if you give them a chance. An old sow with new cubs can be very unpredictable. A fly rod isn't much protection.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #92
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

I went to college for bear behavior and even earned a certificate for training...however that was many years ago, and I have never used either degree or certification. However as an avid outdoorsman and hiker/fisherman, I have many instances where my training has come in handy.
Schultzz, you are absolutely right to whistle while you walk. This may have been a warm may with little rain, but its still spring, and the black beauties are coming out of hibernation. They are foraging for food, and with the dry season they will be wandering closer to humans. They are also out with the cubs. You made the right decision to back up slowly. As a general rule black bears are scavengers and there main defense is camoflouge and to hide, however a sow with her young, like any mother, has a defense mechanism similar to a grizzly; eliminate the threat. Its one of the few time black bears become aggressive.
WinterWarlock....you are absolutely correct that Grizzly and Black bear behavior is nothing alike...its a night and day difference. I have heard one story, only one story, that implies an intentiona dangerous nature of a black bear. That was in NJ where a group of hikers were stalked and hunted by a lone black bear (male), when DEC showed up, the bear was defending its kill...the bear was NOT rabid, however that is NOT normal bear behavior, even grizzlies do not do that. The story perked my interest due to its close proximity to higher populations.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0HH1VY20140922
Here is a link to the article....notice the last reported death in the region reported was 1852.....
colinzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #93
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomscooter View Post
A few weeks ago my sweetie was up on the hill above the house for a walk with the dogs, Maggie and Java. As often happens, the dogs were out of sight, poking around looking for chipmunks, carrion, and whatever "good stuff" it is that dogs look for.

Then Java came barreling in and quickly circled behind Doreen and sat down, seemingly in a "protect me" mode. Because of Maggie's tendency to tangle with porcupines Doreen decided to call her in. In short order Maggie came running in at top speed (which is very, very fast). She, too, circled around Doreen and sat. Something seemed amiss.

At that moment Doreen caught some movement, looked up, and saw, following in Maggie's tracks and running at top speed, a black bear. When she first saw the bear it was an estimated 100 yards out through open woods.

Doreen waved her arms over her head, started yelling and banging a stick against a tree. The bear didn't slow down. Finally, at an estimated range of 30 feet, the bear came to an abrupt stop. With Doreen still yelling and waving, the bear proceeded to huff repeatedly while stomping its front feet against the ground. It then stood up, turned, and took several steps away, then turned back and started approaching again. Doreen continued to wave and yell, and finally the bear walked off.

My first thought on hearing of this encounter was that the bear was a sow protecting its cubs, but I wasn't too convinced. Then I thought perhaps the bear was actually looking for a meal. Again, seemed a bit far fetched.

Then last evening Doreen stumbled upon THIS article. I'm now convinced that the bear was protecting a food source, perhaps a deer killed by coyotes. Maggie, not realizing that some animals are not interested in sharing, probably tried to crash the dinner party.

I'm also convinced that if Doreen had frozen, rather than wave and yell, the bear would have come straight in to the dogs, which it probably at first thought were simply sitting behind a (rather noisy and lively) tree stump. I hate to even contemplate what might have happened next.

I'd be interested in hearing others' thoughts on what led to this encounter.
That's pretty unusual behavior for a black bear, no matter what the circumstances are. They would not defend food source to the point of leaving that food source for any distance, paw the ground and aggressively defend the food at the site, maybe, but not pursue a chase of two dogs. It could have been to defend her cubs, however you would have heard a lot of commotion in which the dogs would be antagonizing the cubs or sow to force her to charge that far away from her young. A mating male is the only other possibility I could think before I wander into rabies, or other afflictions.
But for a black bear, its very unusual
Old 05-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #94
colinzeye
Mountain Junkie

I am onlygoing to say one more thing and let the dead horse lie without beating it again. CityBoy...I am not sure if you respect bears, or are afraid of them to the point that fear is clouding your judgement. However I do not carry bear spray, I do hike with a dog occasionally, and when I lived in the west I had a pet WolfDog that I hiked with, still no bear spray, or gun...I have NEVER had an encounter with black or Grizzly bear that required the need for bear spray. A fed bear is not a dead bear, only fear creates dead bears.....and make me sad
Old 05-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #95
cityboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinzeye View Post
That's pretty unusual behavior for a black bear, no matter what the circumstances are. They would not defend food source to the point of leaving that food source for any distance, paw the ground and aggressively defend the food at the site, maybe, but not pursue a chase of two dogs. It could have been to defend her cubs, however you would have heard a lot of commotion in which the dogs would be antagonizing the cubs or sow to force her to charge that far away from her young. A mating male is the only other possibility I could think before I wander into rabies, or other afflictions.
But for a black bear, its very unusual
Perhaps the bear did not read the same book as you.

Here's my philosophy - wild = unpredictable.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:50 AM   #96
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

After reading up on black bear behavior a lot of what Colinzeye says about black bear behavior bears truth though from now on I will probably carry when hiking or pursuing finned species. Call it fear if you want. Perhaps it is out of fear. But I know I'll feel better while I whistle and walk.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:44 PM   #97
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzz View Post
After reading up on black bear behavior a lot of what Colinzeye says about black bear behavior bears truth though from now on I will probably carry when hiking or pursuing finned species. Call it fear if you want. Perhaps it is out of fear. But I know I'll feel better while I whistle and walk.
Put it all in perspective. Will you carry while in the car? Having had family hit two bears by car..that wouldn't work for us. Nor will we carry while working in the yard or on bikes in our neighborhoods.

Survival is all or none.. Either you do (100 percent) or not. Of course you want to be in the first category. I have a suspicion those most fearful live in towns and cities and not the woods. Not an empirical study by any means!
PS I still don't have a decent bear pic. When I get my camera all I get are back ends.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:49 PM   #98
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanoe View Post
Put it all in perspective. Will you carry while in the car? Having had family hit two bears by car..that wouldn't work for us. Nor will we carry while working in the yard or on bikes in our neighborhoods.

Survival is all or none.. Either you do (100 percent) or not. Of course you want to be in the first category. I have a suspicion those most fearful live in towns and cities and not the woods. Not an empirical study by any means!
PS I still don't have a decent bear pic. When I get my camera all I get are back ends.
Your statements are salient and have merit worth pondering. I suppose fear pervades most rational thought and circumstances. However, common sense must be used too and absolutes are a choice not mandatory. I choose to not harm flora or fauna nor homo sapiens unless absolutely necessary notwithstanding rabid entities. To quote a famous man who used to climb Mount Marcy, "walk quietly and carry a big stick." I choose to walk non-quietly and carry a big caliber.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:28 PM   #99

Quote:
Reminded me of this video about bears and fishing

https://youtu.be/CVS1UfCfxlU

“The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.” —Herbert Spencer

1894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #100
wiiawiwb

Quote:
I wouldn't call it fear at all. You had an encounter that could have gotten ugly very quickly with no means to defend yourself.

Why do some people who've been beaten up learn martial arts...because they are afraid? Absolutely not. They're using their noggin' and learning how to reduce the odds of a problem in the future.

I call that being sensible.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote