Road to Boreas Pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to Boreas Pond

I really want to hike to Boreas Pond this Autumn. My question is about the road that goes halfway in. I have an average small passenger car. Is it doable or too rough for a small car?

Gulf Brook Road is rough. It's not the potholes (there are a few easily avoidable ones) but the numerous protruding stones. The tallest ones stick out almost a half-foot. A high-clearance pickup might be able to just 'take it on the chin' and barrel down the road but most passenger vehicles will probably suffer some kind of tire or suspension damage (not to mention a ride that'll shake the fillings out of your teeth).

The slow speed needed to drive around the worst of the "molehills" makes this 3 miles drive feel like 30 miles. Just budget plenty of time and patience to slowly weave your way down the road.

Fortunately, the balance of the road beyond the gate is comparatively smooth (good for hikers and cyclists).

PS
    I was driving a small crossover with a higher than average ground clearance (Kia Sportage).
    Looking for views!

Comment

Thanks for the info, Trail Boss. Sounds a bit too much for my car, don't want to damage it. Perhaps the hike / bushwack to Wolf Pond would be a good alternative.

Comment

We drove in a month or so ago in her Volvo XC90
        Other than a rough ride it was no big deal for us

As for wolf pond, why not try paddling/carrying up the outlet?
        It's a fun trip with great views

Comment

The ride you get will be influenced by the ride you have.

Ford F-150: Pickup truck with 8.8" to 9.4" ground clearance (depends on model year) and 122" wheelbase.

Volvo XC90: Full-size luxury crossover with 8.6" ground clearance and 117.5" wheelbase.

Kia Sportage: Compact crossover with 6.75" ground clearance and 103.9" wheelbase.

Small passenger vehicle (2016 Honda Civic): 4.9" ground clearance and 103.6" wheelbase.
          Honda Civic specs. No-load ground clearance = 125mm = 4.92".
          Looking for views!

Comment

Originally posted by 7don7 View Post
            ...I have an average small passenger car...

Comment

I was in there a few weeks ago. Although I have a truck, there were a half-dozen small cars parked at the gate when I came out. Just go slow, especially the first 1/4 mile, and navigate around the bigger protruding rocks.
              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Working...
              X