Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #1
ADKJoe

Browns Tract Inlet

Was thinking of trying to paddle Browns Tract Inlet during spring break week mid April. Not sure if it would be navigable then or not. Has anyone ever done it, have any interest in doing it?

Thanks
Joe
Old 03-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #2
Wldrns

Brown's Tract is my favorite section of the 90-mile canoe race. I usually paddle it first in the season in June while on the Cannonball-90. There will be plenty of water flow in April, but you can expect several beaver dams to block your way that early before many other paddlers have had a chance to go through. At least a couple of the dams may require a difficult and cold water wet carry-over.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #3
ADKJoe

Damn Beavers!

Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll wait a bit... I'm trying to get bits and pieces of the NFCT done and that is just one of them..
Old 03-15-2017, 04:30 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKJoe View Post
I'm trying to get bits and pieces of the NFCT done and that is just one of them..
Some of us do the Cannonball in June, best time is around the Solstice for maximum daylight. Doing that will complete 90% of the NY portion of the NFCT for you.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
ADKJoe

Canonball

Never heard of this?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Never heard of this?
The Cannonball-90 is quite unofficial - no timers, no race officials, no awards other than personal completion, sometimes with optional pit crew support (usually not necessary). It follows the original traditional route from Old Forge to Saranac Lake village, the beginning and end of the official Adirondack Classic 90-mile race held in September.

Every June, usually begining on the Friday night closest to June 21, a few boats will begin on their own time sometime during the dark of night. I prefer to begin exactly at the stroke of midnight, to paddle the entire 90 mile route to Saranac Lake, making the trip all in the same calendar day. Sunrise occurs over Blue Mountain upon just reaching Raquette Lake after early dusk in Brown's Tract. The Long Lake bridge is exactly half way. Usually finish around just before sunset at the cedar tree in SL (at the official finish line for the 90 miler).
https://www.northcountrypublicradio....r/90-miler.php
https://www.northcountrypublicradio....ilertrans.html

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-15-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
ADKJoe

Epic Day

Holy cow! That is some epic day of paddling... What kind of boat do you use?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:47 PM   #8
Wldrns

Quote:
Holy cow! That is some epic day of paddling... What kind of boat do you use?
I've paddled the Cannonball 9 times so far (twice in the same year two different times) in a variety of boats, including a C1 Placidboat Rapidfire, a C2 Wenonah MinnII, a C4 Savage River, and a C6 custom woodstrip voyageur. Its all good team training just prior to the Yukon River Quest and the Yukon 1000 mile races.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-15-2017 at 07:12 PM..
Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #9
ADKJoe

Excellent

That is awesome! I'm fascinated by this but realize I most likely couldn't do it in 24 hours. Also I don't have a boat I would consider best for this as well.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Quote:
Was thinking of trying to paddle Browns Tract Inlet during spring break week mid April. Not sure if it would be navigable then or not. Has anyone ever done it, have any interest in doing it?

Thanks
Joe
me and a couple friends paddled the inlet a few years back in September, nice paddle! we started from lower pond where we were camping, and almost made it to the lake, but ran out time and beer. the water depth was good, the worse part was a couple low bridges that you might hafta portage around. i would definitely do it again, but w/ a shuttle vehicle at the lake...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:01 PM   #11
ADKJoe

Duck

Thanks for the tip on the low bridges. I was thinking when I did it I would carry my canoe back to my car. Working on a rig for my Hornbeck to mount on my steel frame backpack.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:07 AM   #12
Rich Lockwood

up and back?

Would it be possible to do an up and back trip from raquette lake?
Turtle
Rich Lockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #13
Wldrns

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the low bridges. I was thinking when I did it I would carry my canoe back to my car. Working on a rig for my Hornbeck to mount on my steel frame backpack.
I don't understand the low bridges comment. After the entry from the boardwalk, there may be several beaver dams in the next 2.5 miles of twisty paddling, but there is just a single bridge, at the very end of BT, just as it enters Raquette lake. True that the water in April could be high enough to cause you to have to duck under the girders, but that alone should not be any problem. (There is a large beaver dam just after the bridge that can raise the water level in BT before flowing into RL.) MoodyBlues must be talking about some other place with bridges, not any place on the NFCT.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-18-2017 at 07:29 PM..
Old 03-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #14
Wldrns

Quote:
Working on a rig for my Hornbeck to mount on my steel frame backpack.
Here's how I carry my Hornbeck. Rigid mount requires no hands. Hands are free for other tasks (navigating). This how I carried and paddled 185 miles from Boonville to Plattsburgh on ( and beyond) the NFCT

Old 03-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #15
MoodyBlues
MoodyBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wldrns View Post
I don't understand the low bridges comment. After the entry from the boardwalk, there may be several beaver dams in the next 2.5 miles of twisty paddling, but there is just a single bridge, at the very end of BT, just as it enters Raquette lake. True that the water in April could be high enough to cause you to have to duck under the girders, but that alone should not be any problem. (There is a large beaver dam just after the bridge that can raise the water level in BT before flowing into RL.) MoodyBlues must be talking about some other place with bridges, not any place on the NFCT.
well, we started from lower pond, NOT the boardwalk, which is quite ways down from the pond. there is a low bridge that is the BT road, and then another farther down, maybe 3/4 mile, that is even lower. i think the 2nd one is an old RR bridge.

as far as up and back from Raquette Lake, i don't know. certainly would be worth a try, tho.

the paddle between lower and upper ponds was very nice too, tho there were some beaver dams and a wooden foot bridge...
MoodyBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:53 PM   #16
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodyBlues View Post
well, we started from lower pond, NOT the boardwalk, which is quite ways down from the pond. there is a low bridge that is the BT road, and then another farther down, maybe 3/4 mile, that is even lower. i think the 2nd one is an old RR bridge.
You are not describing the BT portion of the NFCT, which is the section the OP wants to paddle (which begins at the boardwalk at the end of the trail from 8th Lake, and ends at Raquette Lake).
Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 AM   #17
ADKJoe

Hornbeck

Quote:
Here's how I carry my Hornbeck. Rigid mount requires no hands. Hands are free for other tasks (navigating). This how I carried and paddled 185 miles from Boonville to Plattsburgh on ( and beyond) the NFCT

That is exactly what I'm talking about. How did you do that?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
Wldrns

Quote:
That is exactly what I'm talking about. How did you do that?
The backpack is called a Knupac by Eric Knudsen, unfortunately no longer manufactured. It has two cradles mounted on top of the rigid external frame pack. They are meant to fit into the center thwart of a canoe. a bow to stern hand line would control tip/tilt.

Unfortunately the backrest thwart of a Hornbeck is not at the balance point. So I fabricated a piece of large diameter lightweight aluminum tubing conduit with a neck curve and flattened ends, held to the wood gunwales by bolts and wing nuts. I then tie the Knupac cradles to the conduit with velcro or paracord. Another half inch AL conduit is fastened from the bottom of the pack to a point on the gunwale near the stern of the canoe, giving me a completely rigid unit. Being rigid, no hands are needed to stabilize it on my back, so I can carry a map or eat while underway.

When bushwhacking I simply dip my head and the canoe pushes through any thick brush. People ask about safety. Being rigid, if I fall (it happens) I am protected inside the canoe. I will loosen the hip belt when wading across streams.

I have carried the Hornbeck (and other canoes) comfortably for many miles with the Knupac system. It is a total of 185 miles from Boonville to Plattsburgh, including a combined total of 62 miles of carries.

This is a photo made for Eric of me carrying a 32 foot voyageur canoe (not very far), used for a Knupac promotion.

Hornbeck with a home-made spray cover, very useful for Big Adirondack lakes and a life saver for when I crossed Lake Champlain.

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-23-2017 at 10:46 AM..
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #19
ADKJoe

Carry

Thank you for all the information. I have a pack and I'll see what I can come up with. I'm actually excited to try and experiment once I get the Hornbeck out of storage in a few weeks.

Joe

Quote:
The backpack is called a Knupac by Eric Knudsen, unfortunately no longer manufactured. It has two cradles mounted on top of the rigid external frame pack. They are meant to fit into the center thwart of a canoe.

Unfortunately the backrest thwart of a Hornbeck is not at the balance point. So I fabricated a piece of large diameter lightweight aluminum tubing conduit with a neck curve and flattened ends, held to the wood gunwales by bolts and wing nuts. I then tie the Knupac cradles to the conduit with velcro or paracord. Another half inch AL conduit is fastened from the bottom of the pack to a point on the gunwale near the stern of the canoe, giving me a completely rigid unit. Being rigid, no hands are needed to stabilize it on my back, so I can carry a map or eat while underway.

When bushwhacking I simply dip my head and the canoe pushes through any thick brush. People ask about safety. Being rigid, if I fall (it happens) I am protected inside the canoe. I will loosen the hip belt when wading across streams.

I have carried the Hornbeck (and other canoes) comfortably for many miles with the Kanupac system. It is a total of f185 miles from Boonville to Plattsburgh, including a combined total of 62 miles of carries.

This is a photo made for Eric of me carrying a 32 foot voyageur canoe (not very far), used for a Knupac promotion.

Hornbeck with a home-made spray cover, very useful for Big Adirondack lakes and a life saver for when I crossed Lake Champlain.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #20
snapper
snapper

ADKJoe - Not sure what pack you're thinking of using but years ago, before the Knupac was available, a bunch of us put together portage frames for the outdoor program SUNY Cortland holds at their facility on Raquette Lake. We started out with the old Camptrails "Freighter" external frames. Using PVC pipe we created brackets that cradle the middle thwart of a 17' Grumman; it would work for any canoe however. Anyway, with care, these portage packs continue to be used many, many years later with all sorts of groups on 6 day trips. My guess is if we could do it, you can to!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper
snapper is offline   Reply With Quote