Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
snowcraig

Question Historic Camping Event in need of a site

Hello,

I am a living historian and am in the process of planning an 1860s Adirondack weekend. Since the camps came in later in the 19th century, I was thinking it would really cool to actually camp, in canvas tents, and do things that people did in the 1860s - row boats, fishing, hiking etc.

I'm in need of a good place to do this. I'd like campground that is relatively simple and wooded on a lake. Group sites would be ideal - there may be about 25 of us. Cabins might be useful for those who don't have tents. It's so hard to search for such specifics on some of the camping sites.

Does anyone out there have suggestions? I'm looking at doing this event in 2018 so I have some time to plan.

Thank you so much,
Jessica C.
snowcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Wldrns

You are not likely to convince the DEC to write a camping permit for that many people in one place on state land. Large crowds by their very nature tend to be the antithesis of LNT. I suggest that you could consider LNT as a part of your program.

You may find private resorts that would accommodate you. It won't be cheap. For cabin camping, try Timberlock on Indian Lake, for example. https://timberlock.com

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-17-2017 at 03:17 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
snowcraig

Thank you for the suggestion of that camp. Sounds interesting.

What is the LNT?

I'm also looking into camps and house rentals, but I thought the camping idea might be simplest...maybe not.

Thank you again.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcraig View Post
What is the LNT? .
You have got to be kidding. Do you know anything at all about outdoor/camping ethics and care for the environment? Do some research, please.
https://lnt.org

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administr...2005jrnat3.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leave_No_Trace

Your other option may be a regional campground. LNT will still apply there.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7825.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/camping.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7872.html

Last edited by Wldrns; 03-17-2017 at 05:31 PM..
Wldrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
aft paddle

Before this LNT rage. which a lot of people preach and then only seem to follow as it applies to their way, it was simply "leave it better than you found it". If nothing else, clearer than an acronym that someone may not have encountered.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by aft paddle View Post
Before this LNT rage. which a lot of people preach and then only seem to follow as it applies to their way, it was simply "leave it better than you found it". If nothing else, clearer than an acronym that someone may not have encountered.
"leave it better" is a great concept that I grew up with as a kid and in Scouts, but what does "better" mean? To some, it means cutting new trails, literally, or by leaving colored flagging, to some it may mean building additional fire rings to accommodate huge bon fires, to others it may mean constructing furniture to leave behind made out of fresh cut green wood. All while playing a boom box so loud that everyone on a large lake can hear it too. LNT, as a principled set of guidelines and concepts addresses all of these kinds of issues.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
geogymn

LOL! Take it easy, at least he asked. There are plenty of greenhorns looking to enter the forest, lets welcome them and show them the way, the proper way.
LNT is an acronym? How would one pronounce that if this is the case?
Old 03-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
LOL!
LNT is an acronym? How would one pronounce that if this is the case?
I've found two ways

EH-len./ti/ or /'nit,pik,NG

Last edited by aft paddle; 03-18-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Old 03-18-2017, 09:48 AM   #9
geogymn

Quote:
I've found two ways

EH-len./ti/ or /'nit,pik,NG
Elenti, I like it! The other not so much.
I can see it being used as a greeting as you bypass some campers on the trail, Elenti! And the response would be Elenti Tu!
It could be the secret password for forum members could identify each other.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:55 AM   #10
WBB

snowcraig

Sent you a PM
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #11
Trail Boss

Quote:
I was thinking it would really cool to actually camp, in canvas tents, and do things that people did in the 1860s - row boats, fishing, hiking etc. ...
Hey! I camped in a canvas tent in the 1970s.

You may want to investigate what the Adirondack Mountain Club has to offer at their Heart Lake facility (Adirondak Loj). They have several options you can rent including lean-tos facing the lake, private cabins, camping sites (i.e. car-camping), and even canvas tents erected on platforms.
https://www.adk.org/stay/
Old 03-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #12
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
Elenti, I like it! The other not so much.
I can see it being used as a greeting as you bypass some campers on the trail, Elenti! And the response would be Elenti Tu!
It could be the secret password for forum members could identify each other.
Nice.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #13
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

I camped in a canvas tent in the very early 1990s, otherwise known as ye goode olde dayes.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
geogymn

Quote:
Nice.
aft paddle, glad you can see the humor, let me buy you a beer sometime.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
aft paddle

Of Course! I'll be the guy with "Elenti" plastered all over my hiking gear.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Group sites would be ideal - there may be about 25 of us. Does anyone out there have suggestions?
Jessica,
You may want to look into the Tioga Point Campground on Raquette Lake, where there are 15 different lean-tos that may be reserved. Best of luck & welcome to Adkforum.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
Neil
Kayak-46

Hi Jessica, welcome to the forum!

We are a mixed bunch!

You have already unknowingly begun practicing LNT by coming to the forum. You are doing your research and planning ahead! Indeed the very first priciple of LNT is Plan Ahead and Prepare. Sweet!

Would this event be somewhat in the fashion of a re-enactment? That would indeed be an interesting and challenging project in this day and age of LNT practices. The trouble with that is to practice LNT on a camping trip often requires using modern gear (synthetic clothing and shelter, stoves instead of fires etc.). However, doing the same basic activities as the "sports" did back in the day but using modern-day techniques and gear would certainly work.

I'm not sure of the dates, when did Adirondack Murray popularize the ADK outdoor movement?
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #18
snowcraig

Thank you for all this information. I was not familiar with the acronym, LNT, but am familiar with the leave no trace practice. Maybe this is not the right forum to ask my question. I was looking for potential sites to camp with my group and I know there are campgrounds out there that cater to larger groups and might be able to accommodate my needs. If this is not the forum to ask that question on, I apologize.

Thank you for those who provided suggestions of campgrounds.

Yes, this is a reenactment. We would not be using modern gear as that would defeat the purpose. I am researching 19th century camping as part of my research for this event. The tricky part is that the Adirondacks were not a big tourist destination until after the Civil War and my group's focus is the 1850s and 60s, so it is earlier than the Adirondack Camp movement. Those who did venture into the mountains camped, so to be authentic to that experience that's what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for the help offered.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
Neil
Kayak-46

Take a look at Magic Pines campground on rte 9 north of Lewis. I've been part of a large group there.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:41 PM   #20
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely

It sounds like an interesting effort. According to my very limited understanding of Adirondack history the early visitors did various things with that worked then but are no longer permitted on state land, such as building brush lean-tos, bough beds and such. Perhaps these things could be done on private land, if you could find a willing landowner, or perhaps this is not what you have in mind. Best of luck with whatever you end up doing.
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote