Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
Buckladd

Spring Turkeys 2019

Well gang, itís getting to be that time with the youth season coming up Easter weekend. My fish and game club is having a special turkey shotgun patterning session on Thursday, which Iím pumped for.

Meanwhile, I finally picked up a copy of Tom Kellyís classic Tenth Legion, which is some fine turkey hunting reading. When I called to order the book I had a nice chat with the guy who works there and wound up purchasing Tom Gaskins turkey call too. If youíre like me and like to try different turkey calls, give this one a try. Itís unique, and simple. ĎHope everyone is having fun getting ready.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Woodly

You turkey hunters, which I applaud, would go nuts seeing the show the turkeys put on in our backyard daily. 9 toms and varying amts of hens and a couple of Jakes. Hopefully its a good year for the chicks. They've disappeared 3 years in a row.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #3
mgc

Turkey season is a favorite. The North Country is blessed with an abundance of birds. I hope to get some scouting in this coming weekend.
WRT calling....I know someone that called a bird in with a creaky ice chest door. He was back at camp getting a drink, opened it up, it creaked and bird gobbled back. He did it a few times and soon Mr. Tom arrived.
It's normally not that easy, I went out 21 days two years ago to get a bird... the saying is that if they had a sense of smell you would not be able to hunt them...the hearing and eyesight is amazing. The can literally see you blink from 60 yards away.
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
Buckladd

Anyone doing the youth hunt this weekend? I’m going out in the morning with a 13-year-old and his grandfather. Looks like it’s going to be wet so we’ll be sitting in a blind. Hope to put some birds to bed tonight and have a good plan for the morning. Good luck if you’re taking a kid out this weekend, and let's share some findings/reports after the weekend.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Schultzz
Low Impact Skidder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
Turkey season is a favorite. The North Country is blessed with an abundance of birds. I hope to get some scouting in this coming weekend.
WRT calling....I know someone that called a bird in with a creaky ice chest door. He was back at camp getting a drink, opened it up, it creaked and bird gobbled back. He did it a few times and soon Mr. Tom arrived.
It's normally not that easy, I went out 21 days two years ago to get a bird... the saying is that if they had a sense of smell you would not be able to hunt them...the hearing and eyesight is amazing. The can literally see you blink from 60 yards away.
I have heard them gobble after hearing my truck door slam. I use a slate box and call them in. Turkey hunt in the morning and trout fishing in the afternoon. Works for me.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #6
Buckladd

Got it done this morning, about a mile north of the Adirondack Park boundary in Fort Ann! The kid did great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19WT_Youth_Colin3a.jpg (126.1 KB, 200 views)
Old 04-20-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
Lucky13

Bravo!!!
Lucky13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM   #8
Woodly

Super!
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
St.Regis

Excellent. Congrats to the young gun!!
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #10
Buckladd

Good luck to all tomorrow. Hunt safe!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #11
Fly Rodder

I sat in the rain for a few hours, didn't hear squat but a handful of gun shots echoing off the far hills. Saw a fox crossing the field at dawn. Three ducks in a small pond chatting away. Gave up and on the drive home stopped off at my mom's house for a visit and a coffee.

Pretty good day.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #12
Buckladd

Hope everyone is having some luck. I took last week off. The wife and I spent some time camping in Gettysburg but I got back just in time for the season. Hunted six mornings in a row. Worked gobblers on four of them and killed one. He was a good one: nearly 20-pounds with a 10-inch beard but not much for spurs. Came close yesterday, but I've got a gobbler that I've worked three times that stays about 100-150 yards back from the hens, which I've brought in each time. But he wont' commit. I've tried with decoys and without. I guess I've got to let him get lonely. Will be hunting around Schroon Lake this weekend, we'll see what happens. Good luck all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0137.jpg (78.9 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #13
St.Regis

Hunted three times in 3 different locations. I heard one gobble way off the first morning. Very slow start this year
St.Regis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:21 PM   #14
mgc

Up here in St. Lawrence County and enjoying the abundance of birds. It was pouring when I went out this morning. I set up a couple decoys and sat in the rain....too wet for my slate to work, I managed to keep the box call dry...I love my mouth calls! They don't care how wet it is.
I imagined a few very light distant gobbles around 6:00 and then imagined a couple cluck responses a while later. A train of hens and jakes appeared at about 6:30...a slow parade at about 100 yards...two of them came in to about 20 yards and I managed to avoid being seen. They went behind me and when I turned slowly and spotted another parade...90 yards and following the hens....jakes and Tom's...a couple big boys on the tail.. The birds were all very quiet. If I hadn't seen them I wouldn't have known they were there.
I made a couple light clucks with the mouth call and two of them broke off and headed towards me. The big boy closed 70 yards in about 10 seconds...I made a light cluck and he popped his head up behind my hen decoy and that was all she wrote....25 yards. Squacks, gobbles, all kinds of commotion...I counted about 30 birds. Nothing to brag about really...9 1/2, 1 1/4....but 27 pounds! I have never dropped such a big bird. What a pig.
Only a fool would have gone out this morning...the 101 tasted just fine with a coffee chaser.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
Buckladd

Quote:
Only a fool would have gone out this morning...the 101 tasted just fine with a coffee chaser.
I was one of those fools! Met some friends in Schroon Lake for the weekend. We were in a blind in that rain Friday morning but still got wet. Ended up at the diner by 8:30. Worked a real good bird on Saturday that just would not close the distance. He had hens. Back home yesterday and still chasing a tom that won't leave his hens. I'm trying to pattern him. Gotta keep at it!

Last edited by Buckladd; 05-14-2019 at 10:14 AM..
Buckladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:35 AM   #16
mgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Gotta keep at it!
That's what I keep trying to tell my buddies who are complaining about not getting a bird...you can't expect to go out once and come home with a bird, at least not every time. Three years ago I went out 21 days to get one shot (at a nice bird)...it took me 5 hunts in the same spot to finally figure him and his group out...and a very close encounter with a racoon that wanted to try and walk across my lap while I had two hens 15 yards from me...luckily I was able to move my hand just enough to turn the coon away without alarming the hens. This while the Tom was headed right straight towards me across an open field..
Old 05-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #17
Terasec

had some work to do on my land so spent a couple mornings with my bow
didn't have my turkey calls with me so browsed local store for some calls
wow stick/slate is expensive!! +$20 to start?
so I picked up a cheaper mouth call(wasn't that cheap)
man I hate mouth calls can never get used to them,
gag reflex kicks in right away
no major events,
with prices I saw for basic stuff is enough to make me give up on turkey hunting,
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
Buckladd

Quote:
.it took me 5 hunts in the same spot to finally figure him and his group out..
I've hunted this bird five different mornings now and I think I'm getting there with the pattern. If it doesn't work, I'm gonna try a late morning hunt at some point.

The great Colonel Tom Kelly says he gets a chance at a tom one in four times. I've hunted nine mornings so far, have killed one tom and had two others inside of 100 yards. No complaints. I like hearing them gobble.