Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Photography
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
DutchHart

SLR in the Woods...

Found the forum again after a long hiatus.

I'm looking to get more serious into photography. I've always snapped photos on hikes with my old Canon S5IS, but always wanted something more.

I picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T2i with the kit 18-55 and a spare 55-250 lens. I was curious if anyone had any good tips or tricks for carrying an SLR when out and about. I know they make some day packs with bottom camera bags, but that wouldn't work for any longer trips. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dutch
DutchHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Commissionpoint
Tent Pitcher

How come the T2i? Why not a 5D mkII or a 7D?
Commissionpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #3
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

I carry my Nikon D80 with an 18-200 VR lens everywhere! It weighs 3 lbs and I keep the strap over my neck/shoulder bandolier style if I don't have a full pack.
With a full pack, it goes inside and I have to bug everyone that comes with me to retrieve and store it for me.
In the canoe, I usually keep it on top of a pack, or around my neck.
I've never been too concerned about damage, always I have a filter and cap on the lens.
I have only once had a problem on a very, very wet weekend when it got kind of squirrelly, stopped showing on the rear screen and started saving photos to individual folders (that I did not create!!). I tucked it away for the rest of that day and it healed!

I know the newer digitals are more sensitive to moisture than my old film cameras...I used to use only fully manual, fully mechanical bodies (Pentax MX, Nikon FM). Those poor bodies were water soaked, immersed, frozen, bashed into trees and my ribs and kept going, unlike me.

But back to the subject, are you worried about water or dust/dirt intrusion? Collision damage? Or are you just looking for a convenient way to carry your new toy?
Old 03-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsman View Post
I've got the same camera,love the camera but the 18-55 lense is junk,I never use it.I bought a 10-22 Canon lense and a Tamron 18-200,the Canon lense takes a better photo,it should it cost more than the camera.

I just wrap the camera up in some clothing and stuff it in my backpack, they use to have molded camera cases made from leather with a strap to go around your neck,but I don't know if those are available anymore. They were available for the old manual 35mm SLR's years ago.
You can usually find a molded case for any of the more popular cameras. I had a canon EOS several years ago and was able to find a molded case that fit ion a camera store. I have a Nikon DSLR now and I have a case for it my glass, filters, etc. Unless I am going somewhere that I might expect to see some different wildlife or scenery or something unexpected I carry my little Casio ELXIM (waterptoof and shockproof). If I do backpack with my Nikon I have a waterproof bag that i put it in if circumstances call for it. Otherwise I wear it on my neck to be ready "just in case"
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Justin
Moving along

I use an EMT medical type bag that I bought at a local army & navy store years ago to carry my camera in on hiking & paddling trips. It's very durable and large enough to hold the camera, extra batteries, extra lenses, etc. It also has a few side pockets to carry other things that I like to keep handy like map, compass, and/or gps, swiss army knife, etc.
I actually cut a few pockets off of the bag as there were too many pockets for what I was looking for.
The snap-on straps on the back of the bag make it easy to strap the bag right to my belt, or to the hip belt of my pack, or onto the cross bar right in front of the seat in my canoe.
I tried to find a photo of the bag I use on the internet, but THIS was the closest thing that I could come up with.
I also attached a photo of me with the bag attached to my hip-belt.
...just sharing ideas...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (36.7 KB, 291 views)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchHart View Post
I'm looking to get more serious into photography. I've always snapped photos on hikes with my old Canon S5IS, but always wanted something more.

I picked up a Canon EOS Rebel T2i with the kit 18-55 and a spare 55-250 lens. I was curious if anyone had any good tips or tricks for carrying an SLR when out and about.
I'm in a similar situation... I also have the S5 IS and love it. Was debating on stepping up to dSLR even before the S5 was new (I also had an S1 IS), but cost was prohibitve, especially for just a hobby, if I even call it that.

Well a year ago I accidentally ran over my camera bag with my truck (long story). The camera actually survived. But I lost the flash. A half year later the camera stopped working (not sure if it was related to the F350 incident or not) so I thought I was finally going to jump to dSLR. When you started up the camera the lens would try to ratchet back a forth a few times them beep a bunch of times and it would say "Lens error please restart camera". Well one day I said what the heck and took the S5 completely apart. Found a tiny shaving of what looked like aluminum foil stuck between the lens and housing. After I reasembled the thing it worked! So back in business on now the dSLR is still just a possibility.

A couple things in particular that I liked the S1/S5 for that dSLR's didnt have... the articulated display, and video. Now finally, the T3i has these features. Now the only thing holding me back is cost and weight. I also hate to give up the long zoom that I have with the S5, but now there are some superzoom dSLR lenses like the Tamron 18-270. But it costs more than the T3i does and some sample photos I've seen I wasnt too impressed with! A lot of reviews say the kit lens 18-55 is sharper! So IDK... I really dont want to spend $1500 just to get the dSLR equivelant of my S5, and think my S5 takes great 8x10's and larger panos. I'm just torn , but for now I think I am just continuing with my S5.

As for carrying either, I heard good things about the Op/tech strap sytems and have ordered some to try out. Have not recieved them yet. But these are the ones I have researched and ordered:

OP/TECH USA 1301652, attaches to any 1" webbing (shoulder straps):

OP/TECH USA 5301412 Bino/Cam Harness, wear under your pack strap or take by itself:

OP/TECH USA 1301072 System Connectors (Swivel Hooks), use for packs that have the d-rings already stiched in the shoulder straps:

Obviously these are for 'at the ready' carry, if you like to have it in a bag or in your pack this is a different style. Nice thing all there straps are compatable and all have the quick disconnects so you can swap from it being hooked to your shoulder straps of your backpack to a neck strap just by the buckles.

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 03-31-2012 at 04:00 PM..
Adirondackiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
DutchHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
But back to the subject, are you worried about water or dust/dirt intrusion? Collision damage? Or are you just looking for a convenient way to carry your new toy?
A little bit of both actually. I'd like something that is primarily for protection, but could function as a daypack for small hikes if need be.

One option I was thinking of was getting small cases for whatever I needed to pack and just using one of my existing daypacks, but I figured I'd see if anyone had had any insight into something functional that would work as a case and daypack.

And to Commisionpoint's point... budget usually keeps me out of cameras that cost more than my climbing rack...
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
DutchHart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adirondackiteer View Post
I'm in a similar situation... I also have the S5 IS and love it. Was debating on stepping up to dSLR even before the S5 was new (I also had an S1 IS), but cost was prohibitve, especially for just a hobby, if I even call it that.
I love the S5, but it seemed to just be an itch I decided to scratch. The only reason I got the S5 in the first place was because six years ago, I was moving to Alaska for a year and didn't want to pack the DSLR around with me since I'd be living out of a pack. So this has been a long process, as I've hemmed and hawed since.

Now that I have a little more liberty, I figure I'll make use of it, and have cameras for all occasions. My iPhone takes good enough photos for a point and shoot, the S5 can fill that middle niche, and my tax return made me think, meh, I'll take a chance seeing the prices have come down considerably on them at this point.

There's a 30 day no question asked return on the whole rig if I find I don't like it or I'm not using it as much, so I made sure I had an out if I needed it.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
marzrw

I use a Lowe Pro TLZ recommended by a very serious photographer/hiker/backpaker/rock climber. He actually uses a larger more beefed up chest model. I have had this for 4 years and it's been all over the ADK's and to a few National Parks.

Very easy to access it but more secure than just hanging a camera around your neck.

http://www.lowepro.com/about-us/news...rus-tlz-series

http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Rezo-D...3492992&sr=8-1
Old 04-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
yellowcanoe

I just use a camera backpack. Canon makes them as well as Lowepro. They are compartmentalized and you can change the size and shape of the compartments.

Mine has extra pockets so food is not with the camera. Its good for dayhikes..not for extended hikes..

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...83,,901pdb6671
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I use a Clik Elite chest pack. It's bomb-proof and mostly waterproof. I picked up a heavy duty plastic bag to go inside it, the kind used by scuba divers for maps. The nice thing about this pack is that you can wear it with a backpack. And, the camera is right there and easy to get at. I find I take more pictures that way.

BTW, this is the setup I use with my Olympus e-420 (lightest, smallest SLR I could find). I use it when fishing out of a float tube. No issues with my camera after 4 years with this setup.

http://www.clikelite.com/products/st...chest-carrier/
Old 04-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #12
richard1726

Nikon F, from 1968. No internal grease it never freezes up in multi below zero temps.
richard1726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
Wildernessphoto

I use a sea line bag to keep my camera dry, and then I put it in the top of the pack of whoever is hiking with me... Then I can get to it without dropping pack

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
DutchHart

http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-...=3DSDLIFH6BAAH

This is the pack I've been looking at, mostly due to soem amazon gift cards I've come across. I like the fact that I can sling if I want to, or wear it as a normal pack. Seems to be a bit of multifunction depending on how much I need to access it.

Also, any accessories you folks would recommend? Already have UV filters for both lenses and a few residuals from my old camers, like my small tripod and some cleaning things.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
yellowcanoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchHart View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Kata-KT-D-3N1-...=3DSDLIFH6BAAH

This is the pack I've been looking at, mostly due to soem amazon gift cards I've come across. I like the fact that I can sling if I want to, or wear it as a normal pack. Seems to be a bit of multifunction depending on how much I need to access it.

Also, any accessories you folks would recommend? Already have UV filters for both lenses and a few residuals from my old camers, like my small tripod and some cleaning things.
A strap that allows you to wear the camera in front. Its a bit of a PITA to put the backpack down and extract the camera if you are solo. Not a problem if there is someone to help you.

Make sure that pack has lots of pockets that zip or velcro. What you don't want is opening the pack and dribbling bits out that you don't notice.

Lens hoods of course. The sun is often unwilling to move for your picture. Spare battery. Nothing worse than coming on an idyllic scene and having a battery go dead.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
jan

Here's an option for easy accessibility:

http://backcountrysolutions.com/id25.html
jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #17
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

If UV is the only filter you have I'd also suggest a circ polarizer. Can make a huge difference under the right conditions (although the right conditions are usually not a lot of the time).

Wow didnt realize the S5 was that old already I was thinking only like 3 yrs lol. And on a trip last week it started giving me issues, when I zoomed in and then back out I would get a lens error. So maybe I'll start looking closely at SLRs again.

Edit> Just to clarify the S5 was released from canon in the middle of 2007 so 5yrs ago here in a few months. I forgot I got mine the following year just before the new models were comming out to get a bit of a price break so mine is only 4 yrs.

Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 04-20-2012 at 12:18 AM..
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #18
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

Dutch... on my last trip my S5 is starting to act up again. I'm getting intermittent 'lens error' that shuts the camera down. Since I have been on the verge on getting dSLR for so long, and have some of my bonus left over from work, think its time to pull the trigger. Thinking about the Canon 60D. Just got to pick out the lenses, thinking the Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM will get me a nice mid-grade all around lens (suppose to be optically as good as L series - better than some, but lacks the L build quality), and hopefully the 15mm end will be wide enough for some nice mountain landscape shots. Really tempted to also get the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM for the mountains though, if I can afford a dedicated UWA lens. Its also a very light lens which would be nicer for hiking. And for tele the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM to get a good mid-grade tele for wildlife.

Or as an alternate, I'm considering getting a top tier lens that would also be compatible with full frame for future use would be the 24-105L, and for ultra wide angle I could save the difference by getting the Pro-Optic 14mm f/2.8 which is suppose to be tack sharp too but at the cost of being fully manual only. Might be kind of fun to have a full manual. And the same 70-300. I'm almost leaning towards this combo atm.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #19
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

I'm just about to buy a T2i myself - but may rethink it after this.

DutchHart - how do you like it so far? I also am looking at a limited budget for my purchase, have used Canon film cameras before, and think this seems to be the one I want after the research I've done.

What's a good on-line place to buy?

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
Adirondackiteer
Barefoot Hiker

WW - Adorama and B&H are the main places I have used and hear recommended often. Also amazon. Do you have an old (even dead) canon? If so you could make use of the canon loyalty program in which you can buy a refurbished camera (p&s, dslr, lenses) and get an additional 20% off for returning (free s/h) an old canon for recycling. I went this route and due to the extra discount I opted for the 60D and an 'L' series lens, the 24-105. My ~10 yr old 3 mega-pixel canon earned me $340 toward my 60D/24-105L combo! I also got a used 70-300 canon from adorama (very good selection of used lenses and good return policy) and also a Pro-Optic 14mm f2.8 ultra wide angle for those wide mountain scenes. It was a boatload of money, but I feel I got a lot for the money with the refurbished, discounts, and used lens. Can't wait to try it out, reading up n the manual now. I am used to tweaking aperture, ISO, wb, etc with my old S5 but this camera is a lot more complex than I am used too!