Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #21
ken999

Hawk...I fixed mine...I had the software set on WGS 84 and the map datum was Nad27...now everything lines up...
ken999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:33 PM   #22
ken999

Hawk- you night want to check your settings as those errors look suspiciously like mine, and they are closer to 600' off than 100' off...
Old 08-11-2004, 12:13 AM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999
Hawk- you night want to check your settings as those errors look suspiciously like mine, and they are closer to 600' off than 100' off...
According to my calculator it's about 100'. Of course maybe I'm on the wrong Datum too!

You may be right. If I am within 100 feet, I'm gold unless looking for a boundary marker or a geocache.

I set my gps and my topo! software for the same datum and that's what I use for my waypoints. I then usually print a map with the route and waypoints.
Primarily my USGS Topo is used for overview and "just in case" along with my compass.

I think the biggest difference between here and out west is that the gps is much more useful here since the flioage is to thick that you can't shoot a bearing on any landmarks. Out west I could triangulate and find my position on a map pretty accurately, not so here.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:52 AM   #24
ken999

Hawk- 33m squared = 1089m ...210m squared = 44100m add them together and take the sq. root of that sum = 212.6m (pythagorean theorem)...212.6 x 3.28083333= 697' or so...check to make sure that your software is set to the same datum (probably need to set it on nad27, not WGS 84) and you will have an easier time finding you tent at 100' off rather than 700'
Old 08-12-2004, 12:55 PM   #25
redhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken999
Hawk- 33m squared = 1089m ...210m squared = 44100m add them together and take the sq. root of that sum = 212.6m (pythagorean theorem)...212.6 x 3.28083333= 697' or so...check to make sure that your software is set to the same datum (probably need to set it on nad27, not WGS 84) and you will have an easier time finding you tent at 100' off rather than 700'
Sorry, this hawk only speaks English! Only roots I know about are medicinal, not square.

pythagoreans went extinct back in the Jurassic age

And meters are what you put coins in so you don't get a ticket.

BTW, Have you met Sacco? You should, you two both speak engineese!

.02 miles * 5280 = 105.6 feet!

And I have reflective tape on my tent, I can spot it from 1/4 mile!
("INJUNUITY")
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 08-12-2004, 01:52 PM   #26
ken999

Hawk- I thank you for the invite...I plan on stopping by to say hello.

my #'s (33m and 210m) were your differences from the actual UTM grid intersect. I applied the old a sq. + b sq. = c sq. to get a straight line distance of error (in meters of course) and then converted it to feet. Sorry for the confusion (if there was any..)

Where did you come up with the .02mi from?(.02 miles * 5280 = 105.6 feet!)... your math looks good, but me thinks that you might be using the wrong units (ft vs. m)...

When I hold over the same grid intersect that you mentioned, and switch to WGS 84, I get the same erroneous coords. that you have. Flip back to NAD 27 and bingo...works perfect.

The fact of the matter is you can set your GPS to any coord. system and time zone and as long as you locate important things like your tent while in these "wrong" systems, your GPS will bring you back to them just the same. They are a slick little tool for getting around.

Hopefully everybody is picking up GPS tips from this thread, like I have. I feel a little foolish that I haven't been using the UTM system all along. It is much easier to pick a point off the map and enter the coords. than it is to guess the lat/long....
Old 08-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #27
Jeff

Lightbulb Excellent Maps!!!

Check out THESE new maps for the Adirondacks from National Geographic

Redhawk and I really like them. They were a cooperative project with the Adirondack Mountain Club. They are made from Tyvek, which makes them waterproof, but will smear if you get deet or fuel on them.

There is a ton of information on them. They have all the hiking trails on them that are found in the Adirondack Mountain Club Trail Guide Series WITH trail numbers so you can put the map right in your guide book.

They are also GPS friendly with UTM's on them and they have a compass orientation marker on them so you don't get confused between magnetic north and true north.

There are helpful tips on the maps for hypothermia and bears. Their are phone numbers and websites for groups such as the DEC (Department of Environmental Conservation), APA (Adirondack Park Agency) and LNT (Leave No Trace).

The list of excellent info found on these maps goes on, but you would be doing yourself a great service by picking up the 5 map series for $10 each.

Last edited by Jeff; 08-21-2004 at 01:36 PM..
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 11:39 AM   #28
redhawk

I am going to chime in and say that these are the best Planning maps I have seen. 1:75,000 scale. Enough detail to get a feel for the topography, yet enough area to get a good birds eye view.

There is a declanation protracter superimposed on the map itself making it easy to work with whether your ompass is set for magnetic North or True North.

As Jeff said, all the trails are listed in the ADK guidebooks are listed and numbered accordingly.

Another great feature is that the maps show what is State Land andwhat is private property. Checking a couple of places I know here in the Silver Lake Wilderness, the line werejust a tad off, but considering the scale, close enough.

To give you an idea of the scale, I have map# 744 Northville /Raquette Lake.
The mp is printed on both sides.

The North side has the following perimeters; UTM NW: 0516000 4859000 in the Pigeon Lake Wilderness to NE: 0586000 4859000 Vanderwhacker Mountain Wild Forest. SW: 051600 4812000 Black River Wild Forest SE: 586000 4812000 Wilcox Lake Wild Forest (The SE corner of the map has all the trail listings)

The South Side has the following perimeters; NW: 057800 4811000 West Canada Lake Wilderness. NE: 578000 4811000 Wilcox Lake Wild Forest,
SW: 516000 4765000 South of the Blue Line. SE: 057800 4765000 Great Sacandaga Lake.

The maps are tyvec so they are waterproof and tear proof and should last a good long time. At $9.95 each, (I got mine at Charlie Johns in Speculator) they are the best value I have seen in a map. I will have the whole series as I can afford them.

You can also order them from nationalgeographic.com. Look for the "Trails Illustrated Series: Adirondack Park.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:37 AM   #29
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff
Check out THESE new maps for the Adirondacks from National Geographic
Just reviewed the high peaks map, and it contains the old survey elevations. McNaughton is listed under 4,000 ??

For the value, for tivek, it's still a decent reference... but it doesn't look very accurate.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #30
Neil
Kayak-46

I used the NG tyvek maps to plan a trip to Green Mountain, an ADK 100 across from Giant. The map showed 2 trailheads up from Keene Valley along Beade (or something like that) road. When we got there all the roads to the "trailhead" were clearly marked private so we ended up going down to Mossy Brook. We wasted about an hour driving around and really pissed one homeowner off.

On another trip I had only the NG tyvek, and my grid overlay for tools to enter route info manually into my gps. My grid overlay was 1:25,000 and the NG map is 1:75,000 so the even multiple of 3 was a big help. Still it would have been REAL NICE if they had reprinted the UTM numbers several times as you go down or across the map from top to bottom or side to side. As it was I kept entering WP's that were 1 kilometer off.

Finally, a lot of real estate is hidden by advice on how to avoid hypothermia etc. Otherwise, these maps have their place and are not a waste of money.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:54 PM   #31
wkies
traildog

I recently picked up a copy of NG Trail Illustrated map from ADK club- great graphics and overall view. Nice touch is that they are in coordination with ADK trail guides (ie. numbered trails on map correlating to numbered descriptions in guidebook). It is worth it.
wkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:36 PM   #32
ADKlvr

I usually print my own on national geographic expedition paper(tyvec) but am also a big fan of my topo at www.topozone.com for fifteen or so bucks (american) you fit the map to your needs, zoom in , out and shift to what you need and then order .....in a week or so a lazer printed tyvec map arrives and you can even have gps grid squares put on. check it out , we have 3 of them from nw adks and the hold up better than my adk maps..........but I still cary Both as you can never have enough maps.