Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2011, 02:33 AM   #21
RichieC

Buy the 24k topo maps on ebay, you can find them cheap. The northeast one covers the entire Adirondack park. There are even cheaper routes to go if you look around a bit. The 24k maps are the very same topo maps i used to buy in sporting stores and still have and still use. If you buy the maps on disk, once loaded, you can print them out on paper. The difference is that with a gps, you can see exactly where you are at any time of the night or day in any weather... you can backtrack exactly where you came from, get to a pre-positioned waypoint or one you have enterd. ie set up a base camp. create a wayppoint, go exploring, fishing, hunting... get caught out after dark, and still be able to get right back to base camp. Its a good thing, this technology! That being said, I still don't leave home without my compass. And I'd never intentionally test the after dark stumble! LOL

60csx's, being older now, can be found for cheap. I owned one, loved it!, and I know in which river it resides, just not exactly at the bottom of which hole as I am sure it has moved by now- they don't float FYI.

I now own a 62s, Lots of things I like better about it, some things I like the 60csx better. Now that I have used the 62, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 60csx- it does everything anybody would need.
RichieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #22
Archerx515x

Garmin Oregon 550t

I have a Garmin Oregon 550t ( t standing for Topo maps pre-loaded on to GPS) paid around $600 for this GPS and its worth it. 100% water proof, touch screen, works great in sunlight, battery life is fantastic, always gets me to where I need to go, I would consider this device when shopping for a solid long lasting device, if you want top of the line worry free convienance.
Archerx515x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #23
wiiawiwb

I think a lot depends on your use. I am a recent user of GPS so I can't speak with a depth of knowledge. Having said that, I recently bought an eTrex 30 for $200. I wanted the large touch-screen units but didn't want to carry them around in my pack.

The eTrex 30 taps into both the US and Russian satellites (another 24) which I believe is the only Garmin' unit to do so. It increases lock-on speed and the more satellites you can access the better off you'll be. Sometimes size matters; sometimes access matters too.

I've downloaded the NYTopo map which is free. You can also get BirdEye technology which is like Google Earth. You can add a chip to your unit which significantly adds the files you can save and the chips are cheap.

In the end, it depends how you will use your unit. I wanted something small that would allow me do almost everything the large units would do.

I'm very happy with my purchase even though there are times a large-screen Montana would be a welcome luxury.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #24
Navigator

Etrek, map and compass

Hi Greenebr!

I'm new here, but I thought since I love off trail navigation I'd chime in. I know everyone has their favorite, but for me simpler is better. I learned to navigate by map and compass. For my use (finding small, trailless, remote ponds) I still rely on this method, but with a new tool in my line up-- a used etrek euro gps. I use this just for a location fix in areas where one would not be available (low land, dense vegetation).

That said, I am confident in navigating if the gps should fail...

After the location fix, I plot my compass course using a topo map (usually, a USGS 15 minute or 24,000 scale or a mytopo generated map at the same scale). I wouldn't venture off trail with out one of these maps and a compass anyway. By, using UTM coordinates and a good corner ruler, this is all easy.

So, if your goal is off trail navigation I recommend a simple gps, like a basic etrek. This gives you your location and from there you just use your map and compass navigation skills which you need anyway if you're bushwacking....

These gps units do a bit more but i dont use most of the features. The altimeter does come in handy, sometimes, when my elevation intersects a feature like a stream...instant loction fix

Btw, I picked up mine on eBay for 40 dollars...

Of course, if your needs are for something else, then this won't help.

Best of luck!
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
tylert27

Definitely get the Garmin. They have a very reliable software that you can upload all of your routes and information to. I don't know what type of GPS you want, is it for a car or for running. I currently have a Garmin 210 gps w/heart monitor. This is an excellent choice for runners or exercisers. It can keep track of calorie count, distance, routes, steps, speed, and even your heart rate. I highly recommend this model. It will run you about $250. It is also compatible with other accessories that allow your to track added data such as bicycle cycles.
tylert27 is offline   Reply With Quote