Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > GPS Navigation, Maps, and Orienteering
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Topo! to GPS question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
You can make a route selecting whatever waypoints you have inthe RINO, then download them as a route. Or else download the waypoints and then "connect the dots"

Did you turn on the tracks? If you did and then saved the Track Log, you can download the tracks into the software and it will show up as a route.
What I meant was if I draw a route on the PC can I upload it into the gps as a route rather than simply as a collection of WP's?

I tried turning on tracks but for some reason it didn't work. Back to the manual...
Old 01-31-2005, 04:58 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
What I meant was if I draw a route on the PC can I upload it into the gps as a route rather than simply as a collection of WP's?

I tried turning on tracks but for some reason it didn't work. Back to the manual...
If you draw a freehand route, then right click on the route when it's finished and select, "GPS Route", it will make a route of the waypoints and then m aking sure that you check "routes" as what to export to the GPS, it will save it as a Route in the Garmin which you can select and then Navigate.

Understand that for a GPS a route is simply a collection of waypoints in which the gps has connected the dots. You can't draw a freehand route and upload it to the gps. You have to have the topo software make it into a gps route.

re you sure the gps didn't track? If it was turned on, then you see a "x%" used, x being the percentage of tracks memory used. You then need to SAVE the tracks by selecting save. Once saved you can name it, have it show on the map, Trackback from start to fiinish (in which case the gps treats it the same way as navigating a route)
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
Neil
Kayak-46

It's ok, now I know what I did wrong.

BTW, I noticed that some track logs contain hundreds of WP's. I know you can configure how often, when and by what criteria (time, distance) the unit lays down bread crumbs. Mine is set on Auto. I'm sure what is best depends on many factors like if you're bushwhacking, if there are lots of twists and turns etc. etc. but I'd be interested in finding out what experienced users do.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:16 AM   #4
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
but I'd be interested in finding out what experienced users do.
I leave it on auto or whatever the default Topo setting is -- it sets the waypoints at turns/changes along the route, which is important in order to maintain course/heading. The other ways arbitrarily assign the waypoints which can end up cutting turns 90 degrees in 1/4 mile, etc. Experiment with the various options to make the waypoints after drawing the route, you'll see what I mean.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 11:26 AM   #5
redhawk

Quote:
It's ok, now I know what I did wrong.

BTW, I noticed that some track logs contain hundreds of WP's. I know you can configure how often, when and by what criteria (time, distance) the unit lays down bread crumbs. Mine is set on Auto. I'm sure what is best depends on many factors like if you're bushwhacking, if there are lots of twists and turns etc. etc. but I'd be interested in finding out what experienced users do.
What Kevin said....

Keep it on Auto, that's why it's "tracks" not "Route"

Think.......... It's a feature that is best for Bushwhacks, where there is no marked trail.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
Old 02-01-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
JJW

In your GPS tracklog setup there may be a few "auto" settings.

Setting up my Garmin Vista:

If I'm just doing a day hike or over'nighter, I select TrackLog settings of: "auto" , "More Often"

If it is a five day trek, I might select: "auto" , "Least Often"

or on really long vacations I will save the tracklogs at selected intervals into Saved Tracks.

I'm not overly keen on converting my TrackLogs into a Saved Track in my Vista, I perfer to leave the TrackLog "active" so I have the most detail to download to my N.G. TOPO! program.

Good Luck,
John
JJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

I'm a maggie, but.... Yeah, I personally keep my track log set to detailed.... then when i'm getting close to blowing the memory for it, like JJW, I go and save that track to my SD card.

Also, I like uploading routes/trails/roads I've drawn as a tracklog back to the GPS. Then I use the backtrack feature to nagivate my own drawn road. So I'm weird
protocoldroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:09 PM   #8
Neil
Kayak-46

Kev, I was referring to creating a tracklog while out in the field then d-loading to the PC for futur referance or making available to other hikers. I was wondering about saving memory by saving fewer WP's into the tracklog. I d-loaded a tracklog from Lavigne's site for Allen and there are 800 WP's in that sucker. Who needs that?
What you uploaded to the forum has only about 10 or 12. I'm guessing you entered WP's en route then saved them as a route.

Now I have a new serial/USB converter problem. The gps I bought from Hawk has a serial port connector. At Future shop and Staples they hadn't a clue what I was looking for and told me I had ''old ''technology anyways and so I went to a gps store and the guy pulled out a box with a converter all right. And a $80 price tag! It was from Garmin and there was a CD, a nice little flat box thingy etc. etc.
Can't you just get an adapter for 10 bucks?
Old 02-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Froogle Search for Serial -> USB Adapter

you might be able to find one at, your local computer store, or a best buy, or even radio shack, or something. But.... I'd guess probably around $20 or so.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:30 PM   #10
Neil
Kayak-46

I have another question. I promise it's my last one
What's the difference between heading (direction your going?), bearing (direction from where you are to your next WP?) course (havn't a clue about this one. My gps book says: the path between 2 points)to course and turn. All 5 are expressed in degrees.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:56 PM   #11
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Neil, you're right on the first two

heading: the compass direction in which the longitudinal axis of a ship or aircraft points (or in this case, the last direction you moved the GPSr in)

bearing: the situation or horizontal direction of one point with respect to another or to the compass (in this case, the direction to your WP like you said...)

my GPSr doesn't do course, but, I think this may be it...

course: the direction of travel of a vehicle (as a ship or airplane) usually measured as a clockwise angle from north;

(thank you m-w.com for helping me explain it better )
Old 02-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #12
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

maybe I'm mentally challenged.... by that definition, wouldn't course & heading be the same thing? like.... if north is 0 degrees, and south is 180, if you're setting of a course of "270" that'd be a heading of "270" as well.

anyways, do not fly any aircraft using that GPSr yet, or using my advice
Old 02-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Note to self:
Never get into a plane if protocoldroid is flying it.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 PM   #14
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

That.... or...

Bring a parachute

me: "heading 244, ailerons 18 degrees, altimeter reading four four two one oh...."
tower: "this is tower, we said course not heading"
me: "I'm punchin' out!"
Old 02-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #15
Neil
Kayak-46

Gee, thanks guys. I can't wait to take my gps on my next flight.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #16
redhawk

I guess technically "course" would be your route, which varies direction. Bearing would be the direction of the current "leg" of the course and heading would be your actual direcyion of travel.

If you are following the correct "bearing", then you are on "course", of course!!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #17
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Alright, this question got on my mind, and while I still don't know exactally what "course" means on the context of your GPSr Neil... I did go and ask the only friend I know who is literally a rocket scientist if he knew (he actually does fly too, has a license. Me, I'm licensed for paper airplanes, but, that's all) still not a perfect answer, but, interesting none-the-less (aim names changed in the convo pasted below to protect the innocent, errr, to protect the idiots)

protocoldroid: katoul.... do you have a second for a navigational question?
katoul: yessir
katoul: sorry for lack of availability lately
protocoldroid: no problemo mang.... "life" happens :-)
katoul: heheh
katoul: unfortunately
protocoldroid: ok, so, all three of these are described in "degrees"

Heading
Bearing
and Course

your heading is the angle in degrees you're travelling, and bearing is the degrees from your destination...
protocoldroid: then what is course?
katoul: the direction you are actually travelling
katoul: in aircraft at least...
katoul: the heading is the direction the nose is pointing at
katoul: but if there is wind, your course along the ground is not aligned with the direction your nose is pointing
protocoldroid: ah ha :-)
katoul: necessarily
katoul: unless you are directly into or away from the wind
protocoldroid: rad, i knew you'd know :-) i had been thinking about that, and the dictionary does a *bleep* describing it :-)
katoul: now navigating on foot....
katoul: not so sure how heading and course would differ
katoul: unless you have some bizarre walk :-)
katoul: like the ministry of silly walks
protocoldroid: you walk with a swagger
katoul: haha
Old 02-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #18
Kevin
**BANNED**

Ministry of silly walks...

I gotta find my old Python cds

Neil, I found a serial/usb adapter at Best Buy for $35. It's a lot for 'just a cable', but it's actually a device that converts signals for the usb port (which is why they come with a driver disc, though most windows operating systems will detect them as plug/play).
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 08:31 PM   #19
Neil
Kayak-46

I have Windows XP so I hope I don't need any fancy $chmancy stuff.

Heading vs. course:

Applicable to canoeists and kayakists as well as those with unclassified limps.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #20
protocoldroid
always smoothin' it

Neil, your mention of a canoe being applicable to "course" is right on, and make me think... Does that GPSr have an electronic compass?

Cause I just realized... if you had a real-time compass (as opposed to GPSr's that don't have an electronic compass -- they just figure your heading based on the last way the GPSr moved), you really could have a different course than your heading (e.g. drifting to either side with the compass pointed at the bow of the canoe), then it'd totally apply.

but... I have a feeling redhawk is probably on the money.... Actually, I can't believe you bought Hawk's GPSr when you could've tried to buy a "hawk directions contract" just call up RH and explain your position "I'm about three steps past the huckle berry bushes over the rock two steps past the broken branch, which way do I go", answer: "Take a left and right, and did I tell you.... We're banning JudgeH"