Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using the program called Hugin. its one of the few options for Linux (also windows, not sure about mac) but its a very powerful tool. Way better than canons stitcher that I used to use a lot (though canon's photostitch was a bit easier). The defaults and automated functions work pretty well but this software has a ton of manual adjustments and features, and can do HDR, tiffs and all sorts of formats. The only thing I think is fiddly for the average user is it sometimes projects the image all funny and you might have to rotate or move it around to get it straight and level. Advanced users will probably really like it compared to other freeware.

I've stitched several images, some over 30 pictures that are 18MP each. A couple examples from The Great Range:

10 images, Larger version:

32 images, Larger version:

And just for reference, if you don't believe that last one was 32 images, here is one full image of just the center...

Larger:
    Shoes not required

44/46 Almost there!
    26/46 barefoot
    ADK Black River Chapter

Comment

I use Microsoft's photo viewer, which is free and has a built in panorama stitcher.

Tip: When taking panorama shots, flip your camera to the "portrait" orientation. You'll need to take more photos to capture the same panorama, but by doing this you'll capture more space at the top and bottom of the panorama, which gives you more options when cropping the image later.

Comment

TUTORIAL: Creating Panoramic Photos Using Autostitch

Hitting the thanks button on this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
          Tip: When taking panorama shots, flip your camera to the "portrait" orientation. You'll need to take more photos to capture the same panorama, but by doing this you'll capture more space at the top and bottom of the panorama, which gives you more options when cropping the image later.
          That is an awesome tip I never would have thought of. Will definitely be trying it out the next time I'm taking panorama shots. Thanks!
          CL50 #506
          ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...

Comment

Originally posted by cuterocky View Post
            That is an awesome tip I never would have thought of. Will definitely be trying it out the next time I'm taking panorama shots. Thanks!
            I suppose I should credit Carl Heilman for this piece of advice. I read it in a book of his on outdoor photography.

Comment

Originally posted by DSettahr View Post
              Yeah, but don't limit yourself vertically to just what your camera can take in portrait orientation either. You can take multiple rows of photos, one over top the other, to get more height if that is desired. There is no limit really (well unless whatever software your using is limited, but most good software like Hugin can handle anything, including entire 360 degree globes).

And I probably could have elaborated better earlier, but like you say DSattahr, my shot above was taken with a single row of portrait-oriented pics...

Thats the one from earlier (I said 10 pictures, but its actually 11 since it starts counting at 0) in Hugin's preview window.

Here is an example of 4 vertical rows (but only one image wide)...

And the above pic in Hugin...

I set that to identify the images in the preview so its highlighting the images my cursor is over, to kind of show you how they overlap.

And finally here is a combo of multiple vertical and horizontal rows. 4 images high and 3 images across, for 12 images... well actually there is a thirteenth there in the corner but that’s just extra that mostly got cut out on the final crop...

The sky is the limit. If you take enough photos to span all the way around 360 degrees and back where you started, you can create a pano 'globe' (or planet, etc) like this one:

I can't take credit for that one though, just a random google image search since I have never done it. Though now I have a 10mm lens I might give it a try sometime. With my 24mm (38mm equiv on a crop sensor) it would take a crazy amount of images to complete a globe.

Oh and as far as a tutorial goes, there are great tutorials already out there just do a google search for "hugin tutorial" or whatever software your using, or if you like video tutorial do a search on youtube. For Hugin there are dozens like this one for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGF4d_jX8K0

Happy shooting!
              Last edited by Adirondackiteer; 01-15-2014, 01:06 AM.
              Shoes not required

44/46 Almost there!
              26/46 barefoot
              ADK Black River Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Adirondackiteer View Post
                I've been using the program called Hugin.
                I've also been using Hugin for mine. Here's many that I've done with it: http://adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=19841

One problem I've had with Hugin is that sometimes it won't auto-stitch if I'm doing a pano of mountains/wilderness in the distance but in the foreground there's some pesky bushes/trees/brush. I then need to manually add the control points on overlapping images (and always save before attempting to create the pano) and fiddle with it a lot until hugin understands what's going on. E.g. if I do a pano from the cab of a firetower or from the edge of a cliff it works fine, but if I do it at the base of the firetower or from an non-bald mountain with brush, then it has issues. I think some of this is depending on the FoV on my lens and the stuff in the foreground being more distorted than Hugin was expecting to be possible.

One other thing I've been working on with Hugin is trying to balance how wide and high to go with the pano's. I started out trying to do a bunch of 360 and 270 degree panos which is fun and all, but viewing them really isn't that effective. I've had better luck keeping the panos to what would only be 2-3 normal frames wide and made of maybe 6 shots or so instead of going many frames wide and using 20+ shots.

Comment

Working...
                X