This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by forest dweller View Post
    Just a heads up - my process worked on my first 2 pictures but I'm working on one now that is such a large file that a Facebook upload didn't make small enough to share here - so it won't always work. Here to read up and look for another solution.
    fd,
    Easiest way to post photos is to place them in an online free site like Picasa, Photobucket, Flickr or whatever.
    Then you can link your ADK forum post to the photo site, it's as easy as a right click and paste thing.
    No need to compress, worry about file sizes, etc.

If, however, you are not comfortable with an online depository, you'll need to use some other photo compression software on your computer, with all of its complexity and limitations...

Comment

Thanks stripperguy. I have flicker photo albums for photos from my big trips. The file sizes are huge so to share here I have been converting them at an online resizer...extra steps but working well so far.

Comment

Flickr can dynamically resize images. In other words, you can upload a full-sized photo (like 4000x3000 pixels) and then have a smaller version displayed.

Example:
        1. I have a photo of a hiker at Indian Falls.
        2. I've uploaded it to Flickr in its original size of 4483x2768 pixels.
        3. It is too large to comfortably view in this forum. I need a smaller version.
        4. In Flickr, I click the Share icon and then select "BBCode".
        5. It offers several sizes and I select 540x395.
        6. The resulting link (URL) will dynamically resize the original photo from 4483x2769 to 540x395 pixels.

540x395

I can also display smaller versions of the same photo.

320x198

100x62

To recap, photos stored in Flickr can be displayed in smaller sizes. Upload the photo in its original size and then request a link to a reduced version.

Other photo-sharing services, like Imgur, are also able to dynamically resize images.
        Looking for views!

Comment

I am still having difficulty uploading photos; have the procedures changed (since the beginning of this thread in 2004) and are the procedures the same for here and ADKHIGHPEAKS? I recently tried to upload a photo which was much too big. I reduced it to 648 x 484 pixels and saved it as a low quality JPG (less than one megabyte) and got the message that I was limited to 10,000 bytes. Is that right? I then tried to post a link, but the link (http://129.49.76.62/Photographs/2013...674_large.html) got truncated. PS I have no difficulty resizing the photos myself.

Comment

Not much has changed since 2004...
            Do you have an online spot to deposit your photos? Imgur, Photobucket, Flickr, Google Photos (Picasa is dead)
            Direct uploads will be extremely limiting.

Comment

Stripperguy: Yes, sort of. The url which I posted is for a website hosted on my own computer. If you go to a web browser and type in what I showed, the photo pops up. In the posting options (at least on ADKHIGHPEAKS), there is an option to put in a url link. When I put in what I typed, everything from the word "photographs" to the end is deleted. If I post that anyway and then click on the link, I get my home page which could be navigated all the way to the specific photo I wanted, but that behavior isn't what I wish for.
              Also, why don't direct uploads work?

Comment

Originally posted by MTVhike View Post
                ... When I put in what I typed, everything from the word "photographs" to the end is deleted. If I post that anyway and then click on the link, I get my home page which could be navigated all the way to the specific photo I wanted, but that behavior isn't what I wish for.
                The link you showed is not a link to a jpg (which could be displayed if it were sized correctly). Instead, it is a link to an html page. So you are essentially asking the forum server to display a page within a page - can't do.

Comment

So, I went to my web page and linked directly to the image file:

and that works!
                  This happens to be a fairly small image (450 x 336 pixels); I'm going to try it with a larger image:http://129.49.76.62/Photographs/2013...e/DSC_3661.jpg and that also works. Thanks, oldcoach!
                  By the way, the url which is shown on the forum page is incomplete, but when I go to "edit", the full url shows up.

Comment

I haven't established an account at any photo sites.

But I have noticed that a couple months ago, direct uploads to this site stopped working altogether. I can no longer upload ANY image, regardless of how small, to this site, and I used to be able to do that until a few months ago. Something here is broken.

Comment

Time to get with the times, guys.
                      Please share your adventures on facebook with the many of us here who are also on that similar social media website... You old time, hold out, facebook hating for no good reason Chickens!

Comment

That laptop looks old enough to be displaying the AltaVista page using Netscape Navigator (for you youngsters out there, those are extinct species from the Pliocene period of the Internet; well before the dawn of Facebook).

Priddy sure all the cool hatchlings now use smartphones.
                        Looking for views!

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Justin View Post
                            ... You old time, hold out, facebook hating for no good reason Chickens!
                            Guilty.

Comment

Working...
                            X