Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pentax K200D (worlds smallest, lightest weather sealed DSLR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was shooting both JPEG and RAW, but that was JPEG. Just didn't quite get as good a shot with RAW. Keep forgetting after you take a shot it defaults to JPEG each time. Newbie question: what is expose all the way to the right?

Decided on the Cirrus TLZ. I like it so far. It wasn't too cumbersome with the shoulder strap. My 2 zooms do fit. The Tamron with the hood on may not fit perfectly well though.

We saw some climbers near the lakes on the way up. You climbers...Not quite right in the noggin...But it does look neat...I couldn't do it that's for sure...
    "The way I see it, you're hooked.Trout have you. Another soul lost." Elias Wonder, The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Comment

Expose to the right just means essentially "almost" overexpose. The noise on the K10D is blue channel noise, and usually only an issue in low key situations (night scenes at 1600, bars/clubs/concerts at 1600). For daylight/indoor, high key scenes the noise is on par with any camera made in 2006 or prior.

It's a fine line between overexposure and exposing to the right but at 1600 you need to be near perfect. Typically the noise issues are people trying to hold the hi lights and expose to the center or left.

Histogram breaks down like this:

Left= the dark portions of your image tone
      Center= the mid tones
      Right= the highlights

I'll try to do a screen shot of what I am getting at a bit later. as it's easier to understand.

But if you set your camera to "digital DOF" preview in the custom settings you will be able to just hit the DOF preview and the screen will show the histogram and blinkies (make sure the blinking highligh/shadow function is set) which will tell you if there are any "clipped" high lights or dark areas. You basically want the highlights are bright as possible without making them flash.
      sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes

Comment

Thanks, i did read about that and have seen the histogram and blinkies. Will take time to learn them.
        "The way I see it, you're hooked.Trout have you. Another soul lost." Elias Wonder, The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Comment

Well, will the weather cooperate for the eclipse?

Don't have a tripod as of yet. Did have one, but my artist son seems to have misplaced it / or not returned it / or left it at school after he graduated.

Anyways a handheld shot with the K10D / Tamron 70-300 / At 250 / Manual Focus / f16 / 1/125 sec / ISO 800 / SR / RAW / Cropped and resized

I know a longer zoom would get a longer reach, but for logistics, weight, luggage issues, not bringing a tripod out west, would a teleconverter get me a longer reach? Or would other issues make it not worth it like lower image quality?
          Attached Files

Comment

Great Exposure!!! Darn, looks really good. You got the grey coloring just right and the craters are shown.

Hmm, can of worms on the TC...my famous quoute that people seem to like is something like this "TC's should be avoided like a case of impotence, they leave everything soft!!!"

A good 1.4x on a sharp professional zoom doesn't reduce quality that much but it also doesn't give you that much extra reach, and 2x's are horrible when not paired with a really sharp prime and matching TC.

Don't get me wrong, I used a 2x TC for a few years, but I truly wish I could retake many shots that I wasted with the TC.

That said, if you need more reach you need more reach. But I wonder if one of those Phoenix 500mm lenses that people seem to like for moon shots wouldn't be better. They are dirt cheap on Ebay and I've seen some nice f/11 type shots out of them.

See attached link:

Off the top of my head the other options are the Bigma (sigma 50-500mm) and the Sigma 135-400 5.6.

And the other option is to just shoot on a tripod (aka. your sharpest lens) with the 70-300 you have at a low ISO, with the 2 second self timer at f/8-11 and crop it down. Don't forget if you shoot each image with all the safeguards against camera shake, vibration, ISO noise, and at the lenses sweet spots, you can squeeze a lot more out of that 70-300 than you'd think. You could possibly even crop it by 2x and effectively have a 900mm lens (300x1.5x2).

Anyway, you already have the Tamron, which seems perfect for the type of uses you'll be using it for right now, it's small and fairly light and decent quality. you'd be better off, IMO, investing in the lightest sturdiest tripod you can afford.

My examples would be the work Galen Rowell did, he milked every bit of quality out of 35mm film that was possible and the effort showed in flawless 20x30 gallery images that rivaled medium format prints. He always used a tripod (when he could) and when he couldn't he'd find a way to brace the camera (even soda cans, rocks, tree limbs, backpacks, bean bags, etc) to eliminate shake.
            sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Really great comments and observations. Your advice and experience has been an awesome help.

I really would never probably use a huge zoom anywhere but Yellowstone Park and as all the comments and observations on photo.net and from you, I am really at the far end of handheld photography with 70-300. Back in the day with my Canon AE-1 I could get decent 2 second exposures handheld. Some shots put away somewhere of Niagara Falls dusk, almost dark with the falls lit up were pretty decent.

Had a feeling the TC wasn't an answer, just thought I'd ask. Have been avoiding the tripod issue, but that truly is the best solution. Thanks.

Maybe I can get one of my two kids to bend over and holdstill while I use them for a tripod when we're out west!

Comment

I guess I'm an amature when it comes to cameras and puters, based on the noise from you guys.

I've been using Photoshop Elements- for $99 and been happy. Of course it doesn't have all of the stuff the full version of PS has but it does okay for the limited uses I have for it. I don't do much editing of my pics, out of the 10,000 or so I've taken over the last 2-3 years, I probably edit about 100. So the $650 version was not necessary.

For re-sizing in-mass to email or post to website, I use Coffeecup Pix Converter. Yes, many email systems reject the 6-7meg pics attached to messages. So if you need to coverted a hundred or so pics at once down to 100k each, I find it quick and easy to use.

Leader in Responsive Web Design Tools and HTML Software. Try our HTML Editor, innovative Responsive Email Designer or Responsive Prototyping Software today.

For buying equipment I've used Willoughby's and J&R, and I've been happy.

As I said, I'm an amature, and not really a techie when it comes to 'puters, so you might take my comments with a grain of salt.

Happy photos!

Comment

Well, as I thought not going to get as much reach as I thought but 70-300 is probably as high telephoto wise as I can go and it does appear at 300 there will be some purple fringe issues from time to time, but what can you do for $139. These were about 50 yards away and very low light I would have to say, so it brighter light I may get some decent shots out west.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the deer still have their their winter fuzzy`s still on...
                    "Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Comment

The white balance seems WAY off on the top one. And it actually seems a bit over exposed, but I think it's a WB issue. Seems like maybe Flourescent?

if you reset it to daylight on the RAW i bet it won't look as purple.

Typically the fringing only appears in high contrast daylight scenes. It does go away (typically with most lenses) by f/8 or f/11.
                      sigpic

Comment

Images from Montreal 3-2-08
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice work...looks like some of the shots I have taken over the years. Montreal is my favorite North American city.

Is that Springsteen in concert? Love the mussels at 3 Brasseurs they are apparently supposed to be a meal, but we get them as an appetizer. Beer is OK, but Brewtopia or DIEU du CIEL are much better for beer.

BTW, do you know if the street luge is a permanent attraction or if there was a reason for it? That looks awesome!!

I'll throw a few in...

Notre Dame, Pentax ist 35mm, Fuji Provia, Sigma 20mm 1.8EX

Cross Atop Mont Royal, Pentax K10D, Pentax FA35mm 2.0

The Metro At Rue Peele (i think)...Panasonic Lumix FX01...I like yours better but I've never been happy with any of these moving train shots

Montreal From The Old Port...7 or so vertical image pano. Pentax K10D, FA35mm 2.0

Pentax K10D, 35mm Tilt and Shift Lens, shifted 8mm.

And my wife being a goof at Mondial de la Biere (not a word that I posted this...)

Since I'm about to eat...some food.

Le Milsa (brazilian), Panasonic FX01...

Ouzeri (greek), Pentax K10D, Sigma 20mm 1.8EX

sigpic

Comment

Awsome shots, especially Notre Dame. Yes that was Bruce. Awesome show. Been listening to him for (wince) 33 years. We also hit Brutopia. They do have great beer. I'll have to try the other you mentioned. The shot of your wife is cute. we hit the beer festival once also. the luge was a temporary setup for La Lumiere. Festival of Lights which ended Sunday. Missed the fireworks, we were eating.

Where is Diev du Ciel? Have to try that. Although don't know when we'll be back up there again. Beer at the concert was (gulp) $9.40. Yikes. And next door to Brutopia, Hurley's Irish Pub, $8. Brutopia was more reasonable and definitely our kind of place.

Comment

The Ice Slide is part of the Montreal Highlights Festival. Just temporary. I took some night pix there last week. I'll try and throw a few up.

Comment

All images taken two weekends ago with my Pentax K10D:

Comment

Working...
                                X