No announcement yet.

Photography Hikes, Any Interest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not two photo shoot opportunities: Gary's water/paddle/shoot on Lowe's sometime during Aug 9-16, and a hike (maybe with overnight) to capture sunrises/sunsets etc. on/near a small mountain (I like pico's Ampersand Mt. idea) between now and August?
    BREATH OF FRESH AIR PHOTOGRAPHY Website
    Picasa Public Photo Gallery
    ADK46er #5438; CAT3500 #1745; CL50 #98; NPT Finisher

Comment

Great Idea

I would love to do both... I find just as many interesting things to photograph while I'm paddling as I do hiking. They are both equally relaxing and enjoyable. Looking forward to exchaning ideas and techniques with fellow Adirondack lovers like you all.
      Lisa

Comment

Sounds good to me Pico!
        When do you want to do what?
        The Wilderness Photography of Gary F. Dean
        facebook photography of Gary F. Dean

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!

Comment

Originally posted by Wildernessphoto View Post
          Sounds good to me Pico!
          When do you want to do what?
          I'm up for anything after the last weekend in February. This weekend, I'm backpacking the tongue (i think). And next weekend we are doing an easy 2 night RPR to Hopkins backpack.

After that I have 1-2 free full weekends in early march. Once april comes around once again I have an open schedule.

If we can legally camp on the summit of ampersand (or noonmark or Hopkins) I'd be up for doing any of those in the winter. I figure the night stuff doesn't require standing over the camera so even bivy sacks and sleeping bags could be employed on a calm night (sort of essential) and probably wouldn't be technically considered camping, more like resting on the summit. Reflected light off the snow could make the landscapes stand out more. Although I still envision it in summer with the stars or moon reflecting off the water.

And the waterfalls at AMR are equally pretty in winter. But I've mostly only taken snaps of them to date while passing through.
          sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes

Comment

I'm free on the weekends of March 22-23, April 19-20 or 26-27.
            Last edited by Edelweiss; 02-15-2008, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweiss View Post
              I'm free on the weekends of March 22-23, April 19-20 or 26-27.
              Anything after March 6th is yet to be determined (waiting on my brother to finalize some plans). The last weekend in March I have the NCAA Hockey Tournament in Albany to go to.

However, April looks good for the 19-20 for overnight, and the 26-27 is at least good for a single day (i think I start shooting little league games the 22nd, which isn't an every weekend commitment but since it's the first weekend, probably one I should be at).
              sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by pico23 View Post
                Anything after March 6th is yet to be determined (waiting on my brother to finalize some plans). The last weekend in March I have the NCAA Hockey Tournament in Albany to go to.

However, April looks good for the 19-20 for overnight, and the 26-27 is at least good for a single day (i think I start shooting little league games the 22nd, which isn't an every weekend commitment but since it's the first weekend, probably one I should be at).
                I know I'm not set up for winter camping. I'm looking at the spring and summer. My first serious outing is Duck Hole Memorial day weekend. Once I get into the summer, I've got some weekends to burn, and I usually take 2-3 weeks to paddle/hike all over the 'dacks.

I'm open to almost anything during the summer and fall.

Comment

I'm still interested. I would prefer anytime April or beyond though. I don't have much for winter camping gear. I have no life though so any weekend will do.

Gregg

Comment

I'm also not set up for winter camping, but I'd be up for a single-day hike on April 26 or 27.

Comment

Originally posted by Peakbagr
                      This is the classic situation when someone comes up with a good idea, then 25 people try and agree on a date. Whatever date you select, a certain number of people won't make it.
                      So pick a date or two that works for you, or go nuts trying to please everyone.
                      Point well made...Pico, your idea, your call. Set a date and place and if we can make it we will!

Comment

Any dates yet, Pico?

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweiss View Post
                          Any dates yet, Pico?

Like Kayakrski when the stone is rolling, outdoor stuff is pretty much my life. So there is no good or bad weekend with a very few exceptions.

I'd say the april dates sound good. My only concern is the conditions. April in the north country tends to be dull and bland, with mud and left over snow. Not too much green etc. Not saying you can't find good shooting options, but it's not the best time. But early may seems to see wildflowers and such in bloom down low.

So I'm definitely up for a single day of shooting in late april, I'm thinking the lower elevations should start showing wildflowers and getting slightly green. It's always confusing because I grew up in coastal southern NY where the trees and flowers were in full bloom by early mid or early May.

So definitely a single day hike April 26-27 (unless a date needs to be urgently set we can leave it at that weekend for now). I really need to see the schedule for the little league as I'm not sure if they play Sat and Sun, or just Saturday.

As far as anything over the winter, seems like most people are ready for spring. If anyone wants to do a winter sunrise hike, just let me know. I'd like to get at least 1 more in. I'm still waiting on my brother to get the dates of his engagment party setup in march. So I will definitely have 1 free day avail most likely a Saturday that would be ideal for a sunrise hike since we'd be done by 10am. The other two weekends I have free in March I'm planning on headed to NH.

So to summarize the dates:

single day hike April 26-27, probably southern daks or lower elevations anywhere.

And if anyone is interested in knocking off another sunrise hike on a Saturday TBD in march let me know. I expect to know a specific date by March 1st but I'm pretty sure it won't be the first weekend.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm in for April 26 or 27!

Lower elevations sounds good to me. After a new baby last year and spending a lot of my winter free time downhill skiing, I'm not in the best hiking shape for a big peak.

Comment

An April 26 or 27 dayhike works for me also. There is ALWAYS something good to photograph if you just look!

A sunrise mountain hike would work for me on March 22 or 23.

Comment

So it's April 26-27 for the day hike.

I think March 22nd could work for a Sunrise hike.

I can't commit just yet on the march date as I'm still waiting on my brother to put together his party. I'm going to put a bit of pressure on him to get it finalized so I can make my plans. But he did indicate it would be a Sunday in March so any saturday is probably OK.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X