Some Photos From An Aborted Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Photos From An Aborted Trip

My first winter backpacking/mountaineering trip in 2 years was sort of cut short by lack of sleep, not feeling well, route finding issues, trail breaking through deep snow, etc. Our total hike ended up being about 8.5 miles rather than the 14+ expected. Overall, it was a great 2 days and a nice weekend trip. Not as planned but better than the alternative of sitting around doing nothing. My philosphy is "any day in the mountains beats a good day doing anything else."

The complete details of the trip can be seen on my blog in the signature below. nothing too exciting, just some musings and some gear talk.

As mundane and cliche as this shot is, it might be the only shot with any technical details worth noting. I built a flash diffuser out of a translucent film canister which simply slides over the pop up flash. Now while I probably use my popup flash in less than 0.5% of all images taken with my SLR/DSLR i find it saves me the weight of carrying an external flash like I used to carry with my film SLRs, and really it's mostly used for fill light or shots like this.

Generally the pop up flash leaves shots looking obviously flashed. But diffusing the light adds depth and reduces shadows.

I set the FEV (Flash Exposure Comp) to -1.0 with the diffuser, and with the light bouncing off the tent the -1.0 seemed to be about perfect.
    sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Mountain Visions: The Wilderness Through My Eyes

Pretty cool!
    "The way I see it, you're hooked.Trout have you. Another soul lost." Elias Wonder, The Earth is Enough by Harry Middleton

Comment

Thanks, obviously disappointed the trip didn't go as planned. Sunday was perfect and would have been a great day to go over RPR and Giant. Oddly when we pulled out of the Bald Parking area not a single car, when we drove by Giant there were 20+ cars.
      sigpic

"As to every healthy boy with a taste for outdoor life, the northern forest -the Adirondacks- were to me a veritable land of enchantment." -Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

It's all right dude, lack of sleep is the #1 reason I cancel my hiking plans. Last time I went hiking without enough sleep, I simply went from the Loj to Avalanche Lake to eat lunch. Say what you will, it was worth 2.5hrs in the car one-way.
        - It's lonely at the top. But its comforting to look down upon everyone at the bottom

Comment

Originally posted by Tuchov View Post
          It's all right dude, lack of sleep is the #1 reason I cancel my hiking plans. Last time I went hiking without enough sleep, I simply went from the Loj to Avalanche Lake to eat lunch. Say what you will, it was worth 2.5hrs in the car one-way.
          Haha, I agree. Unfortunately usually when I'm solo a change of plans to accomodate that sleep issue goes un-noticed.

Me, I'm not that goal oriented in that I know almost any possible hike or climb will be there another day. I'd rather scale back and enjoy myself than feel like crap and push on.

We'll do this one again next year. I've done it all in sections. Including Giant-RPR, Giant to Hopkins, Rt 9 to RPR. Just never linked it all together as a multiday trip. Might be something to try this summer as a (long) day hike.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X